What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:56 am

I've been playing Elex. I'm torn between liking it and thinking the game is shit.

What I like: basically, all the standard pirahnabytes elements. Armor is hard to come by, weapons are gated by stats, quests have multiple solutions, all the factions are varying degrees of assholes, upgrading is meaningful etc.

What I don't like: Ironically, the game falls flat whenever it tries to bring in "modern bioware rpg" elements.
SpoilerShow
Companion AI is totally broken. What triggers companions to come back to life after being knocked out feels entirely random. Companions get stuck on world geometry while following you around and then never unstick. This causes them to automatically leave your party. It can happen without warning and you may not notice until later. Sometimes they will travel to camp on their own but sometimes they will stay stuck until you go back for them.

You have no control over what companions do in combat. You cannot tweak their AI in any way or set them to use certain weapons. This fucking sucks ass for characters like Ray whose AI is broken and who rarely aggro to enemies even when you are in the middle of combat. It takes Ray about five full seconds between when the first enemy hits the main character until he starts to swing at it. :roll: Other companions, like Arx, seem fine. Still others like Caja are "fine" but tend to bug out and flip between random animations/start walking in place while shooting. :lol:

There are too many fucking cutscenes in this game. I play a game like Elex because I want to play, not watch cutscenes or listen to shitty flashbacks. The in-game conversations can be alright, but the scripted sequences are very poorly written and acted.

The game is buggy as fuck. I've had so many instances of getting stuck, frozen in place, having menus bug out or npc behavior break completely. One npc went permanently hostile and forced me to kill him. He was supposed to duel me and then de-aggro, but he never de-aggro'd after losing the duel. The game then blamed me for "starting a fight" because the bugged npc attacked me.

The game has bosses and it shouldn't. This feels like another element stolen from "muh modern western rpgs" and they don't work.

I had a lot of fun with Elex when I was earning my first armor, doing faction-joining quests and cautiously exploring the dangerous world. But now I'm at the point where I'm forced to do main mission quests and they just fucking suck total ass. Converters are retarded too. Ever wanted to do a dungeon, except it's not a dungeon and is copypasted 5x with a random smattering of enemies inside?

The technical issues with Elex almost don't bear mentioning. The brightness/contrast is completely fucked. Default audio levels were fucked. Some areas are totally washed out and others are so pitch-black you can't see shit even with a torch. Music is loud as hell but the voiced dialogue increases in volume based on the camera's position, so it's often painfully quiet. :lol:

The combat is honestly not too bad. The hitboxes aren't great and enemies have some unreactable attacks, but it's not the worst. Complaints about Elex combat are overblown because people aren't used to the stiff difficulty wall of the early game. But the game does have a major issue with its combat, which is targeting. Fighting 2-3 opponents at melee range is nearly impossible due to the constant shifting of the auto-target. The end result is that hitting the enemy you want to hit in melee range is not easy to do. You can lock on manually, but this causes its own set of problems. Locking onto an enemy dramatically slows your movement, allowing groups of enemies to blob around you and start hammering you with blows. The game has a dodge roll but it does not confer i-frames.

As Sseth pointed out in his video, certain types of attacks can stunlock you (and enemies.) Such as flamethrowers and grenades. It's quite possible to go from 100% health down to nothing without any chance to input a command, due to the way the stagger stun works. Enemies with these weapons will spam them relentlessly. In general, I have found that ranged enemies do not miss. Even when you dodge, they will tend to hit you.

Another thing I do not like about Elex is the world size. The world is just too big. It is denser than your Skyrims and Oblivions, but there is still too much map here that has no content in it. A single herb is not "content." The size of the map makes map markers a necessity too, which is a fucking shame. I wish you could get by without using them, but there are certain quests where I just do not see how any person could be expected to locate the objective without using the map marker. It's the same problem as fucking Skyrim. :lol:

Between the fast-travel system and the map markers, there were times when I wondered if I was playing Elex or MorrowBlivionRim. The structure was almost exactly the same:

-get a quest
-open map
-locate marker
-warp to warp station closest to marker
-walk the rest of the way

And it just kept fucking happening.

Another haram element of Elex is enemies respawn *and* they have level scaling. Kinda sucks the fun out to know that there's an infinite amount of xp/drops/money in the game and it's pointless to clear out a zone.
All that said, the combat, exploration and progression are still the best parts of the game. If Elex had a smaller game world, fewer cutscenes, no shitty bosses, better companion AI (or no companions,) no respawning enemies, no scaling enemies and was a bit less buggy, then yeah, it would be amazing. :lol:
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:26 pm

>modern bioware RPG elements

So who can you fuck?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:15 pm

Sounds like it's not worth the effort.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

ebin namefag

Post by ebin namefag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:15 pm
Sounds like it's not worth the effort.
Nothing is.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:14 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:26 pm
>modern bioware RPG elements

So who can you fuck?
Either a mage girl from the Berserkers (the Skyrim people), or a bitch named "Nasty" from the Outlaws (the Fallout people).
Canonically you choose the mage girl and have a son with her in the sequel.
The only real link with Bioware is that the third faction, the Clerics, is a rip-off of ASS Effect.
The (useless) companions and bosses in Elex were a thing in Risen 2 and 3 too, with your looks and skills changing drastically depending on the chosen faction in 3 just like in Elex.

Imo the real problem with Elex is the addition of a From Software-ish stamina bar that is nothing but a handicap.
The combat in the sequel in much better, but the graphics are a complete downgrade, very easy to notice because the game uses cutscenes from the first one as flashbacks.
Anyway, looking for reviews of Elex is the reason i discovered this guy:

Last edited by Complicity on Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:34 pm

You came for Elex, but stayed for Evenicle.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:48 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:34 pm
You came for Elex, but stayed for Evenicle.
And this:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:40 am

The female companions are rather hilarious, as Elex only has a couple of female npc faces. Nasty uses one face and Caja uses the other one. So you're going to encounter Caja and Nasty out in the wild as NPCs constantly. You can watch a conversation between Caja-companion and Caja-npc if you want. This would be less of an issue if the faces/visuals were less detailed. Like if the game were 16 bit or early 3d. Then the repeated faces would be a little harder to notice. But the faces have very specific details and animations. That aspect of the game reminds me of FF Lightning Returns. They reuse the same faces over and over and over, but just change the hair slightly, or give them a hat/sunglasses.
RAPEMAN wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:12 pm

I've been playing Risen 1. Way better than Elex imo. I've heard the last half is shit, but we'll see. Risen's world is just the right size. It's dense with secrets and side paths, often concealed by foliage until you're close to them.

Character customization and questing are quite satisfying. There are your standard rpg stats which do what you'd think. And three paths to take. Join the Mafia, join the Cops or join the Mages. The Cops technically work with the Mages, so joining the Mages is a matter of making the pigs happy and then getting a recommendation to become a mage. If you just want to be a cop, you can always intentionally provoke and lose a fight to a cop and let them forcibly conscript you. Not the worst idea if your goal is to speedrun joining a faction for faction armor.

Armor progression is interesting too. There are three non-faction armors. None are particularly good, but their relative worth is also reflected in their price. The shit one is free, stolen from a chest. The better one costs 200 gold. And the best non-faction armor, which protects as well as any entry-level Faction armor, is 500 bones. So you have your choice. What you use in the early game depends on what your plans are. If you're rushing right into a faction, then there's no reason to bother with armor at all. But if you plan to explore the island thoroughly before joining someone, you'll want the best gear you can get.

Weapons are fun. There are three melee weapons and three types of ranged weapons. For melee, you have swords, axes and polearms. Polearms are called "staff" fighting, but they're fucking polearms. They include spears and halberds. Initially, only sword-users can carry a shield. But if you level up axe fighting, you'll gain the ability to hold an axe with one hand and a shield with another. This is VERY overpowered. Swords and Axes are both top tier and roughly equivalent imo. Halberds are the weakest because there's no way to hold a shield with one. Shields don't matter for human vs human fights, but (some) monsters have attacks which count as "low" strikes and cannot be blocked by a pole weapon at all. Fighting monsters with a polearm is all about knowing when to dodge, and praying you don't get destroyed.

For ranged weapons, you have bows, crossbows and magic. They all work slightly differently but roughly amount to point and click. Nothing amazing, but you can use projectiles to trip switches in dungeons and solve puzzles. Magic also has an entire school dedicated just to utility spells, such as speed, light, levitation and telekinesis. They're all nice but only Mages get them. Every other faction has to rely on scrolls for their utility spells. The only magic the Cops get is crystal magic, which is just a projectile attack to deal damage.

Dialogue in Risen is godlike. These might be some of the most natural and unforced conversations I've ever heard. They sound like real shit people would say to each other. You ask a guy how he's doing and he tells you to fuck off. :D The drunk guy in the Swamp, Luis, has some hilarious lines. Oh and yeah, there are way more face models (and body models) in Risen 1 than in Elex. You still see some repeats, but the mixing up of facial hair, hair styles and voices generally works. Most important story npcs have a unique face.

Negatives? Well, combat is pretty jank. Auto lock-on sucks balls in every game. Especially when enemies can break it by sidestepping. But you can work around the jank. Hitboxes are more accurate in Risen than in fucking Elex.

That's my experience so far. Lovely game and I'm having a blast with it. I did three separate starts so I could see all of the early content for all the factions before deciding on the faction/build I wanted to finish the game with.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:29 pm

The dialogue has always been a strong part of the actual Gothic games.

SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!