Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:34 pm

Black Panther is an originally Black superhero, though. It wasn't a blackwashed character. The success of his movie should not inform the chances of The Nigger Mermaid being a hit.

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:41 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:23 pm
"What we already did but now with (more) DIVERSITY!" is pretty much the marketing hook for most reboots/remakes these days.
I'm waiting for the live action LGBTQ+ version of Frozen so we can see Elsa allude to how much she loves eating box. And the sister should be trans.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:13 pm

Elsa will also be trans.
With an ice penis.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:02 pm

It just went from Moviebob's favorite film to Linkara's favorite.
And probably E-rod's too.

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:39 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:34 pm
Black Panther is an originally Black superhero, though. It wasn't a blackwashed character. The success of his movie should not inform the chances of The Nigger Mermaid being a hit.
Not to mention, let's not forget that Black Panther activated the autism of stupid members of the black community (I know, I know, I repeat myself) who seemed to ignore that it was a Marvel capeshit movie and took its production to mean that Hollywood had finally, FINALLY acknowledged that We Wuz Kangz and shiet and that everything ever invented came from Africa (except wheels and sea-worthy boats apparently)

You're never, ever going to get that with Nigger Mermaid because they know the 'white' version and can see from a mile away that it's just lazy pandering (which they were somehow prevented from seeing with Black Panther)

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:42 pm

McGinnis wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:39 pm
Not to mention, let's not forget that Black Panther activated the autism of stupid members of the black community (I know, I know, I repeat myself) who seemed to ignore that it was a Marvel capeshit movie and took its production to mean that Hollywood had finally, FINALLY acknowledged that We Wuz Kangz and shiet and that everything ever invented came from Africa (except wheels and sea-worthy boats apparently)
I think the unironic take of these folx was that Wakanda as depicted in Black Panther is an accurate portrayal of what black people can pull off at their full power level.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:34 pm

You saw plenty of black people, when the movie was coming out, that seemed to think Wakanda was a real fucking place

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:35 pm

It's, like, what Africa would've been if colonialism never happened.
-Yours Truly

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:20 pm

RedLine wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:50 pm
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 am
Meanwhile, Disney's remakes of their animated movies have been huge.

"The Black Panther" was a massive event. So I see this movie as very commercial and IF people like it, it could be big.
They've had plenty of adaptations that did average to poor as well (Cinderella in '15, Christopher Robin in '18, Dumbo '19, Mulan '20, Lightyear '22).
"The Little Mermaid", I would argue, is a much bigger deal to a certain generation.(those who grew up in the 80s and 90s) than most of those. "The Lion King" and "Beauty and Beast" remakes are both in the top 20 all-time top-grossing movies. The original "Little Mermaid" is from that same era. "Mulan" is, too, but that remake got fucked by the lockdowns.

You keeping bringing up Black Panther, but had an adaptation of that been done before? This mermaid one seems more like the entire marketing hook is "what we already did but now BLACK!" I don't think Disney will allow it to flop but it won't do Lion King numbers.
I'm kinda fascinated by the success of "The Black Panther". It's an intensely mediocre movie, but it hit a perfect bullseye of relevance with a lot of people. It scored big points for muh representation (it's the first movie to ever have black people in it, don't ya know?). White critics wrote long articles praising it. It become one of the very few capeshit movies to get nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. The celebration around "The Black Panther" was crazy.

And Hollywood have yet to follow up on that. They have yet to perfectly fuse a prestige property with a Black Pride moment and hit the billion-dollar mark for it again. I could see "The Little Mermaid" doing that.

"If you have black kids, you've got take them to see ' The Little Mermaid'. Go four, five times."
"White critics, we're watching you and you better watch what you say."
"Oscars, we want a minimum of eight nominations. Remember #OscarsSoWhite? We can do that again."

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:44 pm

Fuckin Mulan also had the scandals about the Hong Kong protests that probably would have hurt box office.
ebin namefag wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:12 am
Sorry DHI but I cant have this shitpost finished by Friday. I've been farting nonstop for days. Its impossible to sit by the computer in this state.