Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Post by Le Redditeur » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:26 pm

"Dark" Continent? Very problematic.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:45 pm

It's also the continent where technology doesn't work for some reason, so I hope your character isn't a cyborg with a laser gun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:34 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:45 pm
It's also the continent where technology doesn't work for some reason
The reason is in the name.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 pm

I think I'm starting to like Radiant Citadel.
"Don't stereotype!"
"Don't wear my precious ancestors' culture like a costume!"
"Except when I do it" A closeup: This brings me to a nice little tangent about the dirty little secret of this hobby that these woketards don't want to admit: There is one culture above all that has been more appropriated and stereotyped than any other. These people just ignore it because that culture is considered *white*.
I'm of course talking about Glorious Nihon.

Whether it's a tabletop RPG or a wargame, a fantasy setting or a futuristic one, it seems there is always ever one Japan: honorable, and full of katana-wielding samurai and ninja that wax endlessly about the mysterious teachings of bushido.
This Japan will also generally be feudal. Even in futuristic ones. Especially futuristic ones because the Japanese are apparently just waiting for the right moment to go back to the roots.

This trend seems to mostly affect IPs from around the '80s, though it can still happen today. The fairly-recentish fantasy RPG Splittermond for example has "sword elves" who you can already tell are the Not-Japanese of this setting by how honor- and of course sword-obsessed they are.

I can only really name a few examples that go against the trend. BattleTech is like a half-exception, since although the Draconis Combine spent centuries obsessing about bushido, the writers were enlightened enough that "honor" for a samurai does not rule out war crimes (like when the new head of House Kurita ordered everyone on a planet executed because one sniper capped the previous head of House Kurita).
The only really good exception comes from Torg (which I might get to into more detail in the future since the current edition is one of the most woke pieces of shit ever produced by Ulisses Spiele).

So what is Torg? It's a reality-hopping game were Earth got invaded by warlords from alternate realities. Most importantly their brought their own reality with them, reshaping their invaded territory as well as the very metaphysics of the place.
The USA for example got invaded by Stone Age lizardmen, which amongst other things meant that guns and tanks stopped working because that stuff's too advanced for the Stone Age.
Africa - most importantly Egypt - on the other hand got invaded by Pulp World, which means doing stupid stunts is actually easier over there because pulp is all about derring-do.
So what happened to the Japan of Torg? Were they invaded by Feudal World? Nope, they got invaded by Turbo-Capitalism World, which is close enough to our actual world that it took the Japanese a good while to notice that they've been quietly invaded :lol:

Finally, combining D&D and Japan together, I give you the Samurai class from 3.X's Complete Warrior.
This class lives on in infamy as one of the worst ever created, along such scoundrels as the Truenamer (who becomes actively worse as he levels up) or the Pyrokineticist (a Prestige class for psionic classes that gives you lame fire powers at the cost of never increasing your actual psionic powers).
This particular version of the Samurai class also holds the special title of being what has got to be the only martial class more useless than the Fighter (unless you count NPC shit like the Warrior). They pretty much trade what little versatility the Fighter had in exchange for a Daisho combat style, which is really just a more restrictive and most importantly worse version of Two-Weapon Fighting.
They can also fall like a Paladin for some reason, and just like how fallen Paladin's can swap into the underwhelming Blackguard class, fallen Samurai can take the Ronin class (which also sucks and for some reason has little synergy with your samurai shtick).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 pm

The 3.5 Samurai class was balanced around the Iaijutsu Focus skill from 3.0, that allowed him to deal extra d6s of damage when attacking using Quick Draw, depending on your skill check result. WotC considered that too powerful (in a game where the full caster classes exists, mind you), so they went away woth the Iaijutsu Focus skill and tried to compensate it by... giving the Samurai a bunch of worthless abilities revolving around intimidating or something.

Speaking of the Truenamer, the worst offending thing about it was that it was printed in the same book as the Binder and the almighty prestige class Anima Mage, who got metamagic FOR FREE as well as full proggression on Binder/Caster class levels. It would be like if the Samurai was printed in the same book as the Crusader, Warblade and Swordsage.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:25 pm

Yeah, not too surprising they considered Iaijutsu too powerful. Not only was the 3.X writing staff dominated by mageaboos like Monte Cook, but it also took them until Tome of Battle (one of the last, if no the last book of that edition) to realize that martial classes kinda sucked and needed some cool shit for once.
-Yours Truly

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:15 pm

Holy crap, this Coyote & Crow shit is starting to get spicy.

So the creator of C&C went to Gen Con 2022 with nothing to offer but Pro-Choice buttons, even though he promised books and other kinds of merch. Apparently someone else he had to fire has hidden all that stuff. Sure, buddy :roll:

Btw, here is this most indigenous creator:
SpoilerShow

How much permille of native blood does he have, I wonder :thinking:
Also apparently he's salty that all dem white people aren't buying his amazing book.
WHITE PEOPLE: YOU CAN PLAY COYOTE & CROW (FFS) wrote:Okay, let me get into this. First, if you’re concerned that you shouldn’t be playing Coyote & Crow, it’s likely that you’re a white person and you’re worried that playing this game constitutes some form of cultural appropriation or that you would somehow misrepresent Indigenous people during your time playing the game.
I get that instinct. It likely comes from the fact that you’re trying to be an ally to Indigenous folks, probably to POC in general. You’re being “respectful.”
Except – you’re not. You’re not being respectful when you refuse to play Coyote & Crow for that reason. You’re not being an ally. You’re being a shitty person and frankly, you’re being a little racist. Feel free to gasp and fan yourself if you need to. When you’ve finished, please read on.
tl;dr: You're racist if you don't buy my book.

Also WTF is up with this player advice?
The Chad NativeShow

"If you're a Native: congratulations! You're effectively a second GM here! Do whatever the fuck you want!"
The Virgin Non-NativeShow

"Okay, you filthy white boy. You play this shit by the fucking book, understand?! And don't you dare use anything you think you know about Native culture. You'd probably fuck it up anyways."
This is literal "Rules for thee, but not for me". The player's race has an actual effect on the game. I've never seen this in any RPG before.
Honestly, though, we shouldn’t need those four pages. Everything I wrote above is just common sense to me.
:roll:
-Yours Truly

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:15 pm
Btw, here is this most indigenous creator:
SpoilerShow
The cucks who donated were expecting this
SpoilerShow
And instead they got a 50 something white antifa faggot.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:24 pm

>my product is NOT for white people!
>but I need you to buy it anyway

Many such cases.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:43 am

So you might've heard of Sean K. Reynolds. He's one of the hack writers of 3.X who later moved on to Pathfinder (and is probably unrelated to Wayne Reynolds, a 3.X / Pathfinder artist with a fetish for overdesigned characters).
He also released a free PDF about muh precious consent in gaming:

(Well, you get what you pay for)

Now who is Shanna Germain? Some hoe writing BDSM books:

Which probably explains why this "Consent in Gayming" thing has this autistic checklist:

(I'm surprised you can't write down your favorite safe word. And I think they've omitted "slavery" so that no one can mark that with "Hell yeah! Bring it on!")

I don't think these RPG sessions are getting less kinky if you keep putting BDSM shit in them.
Of course these folks thinks that's a good thing 'cause they like spinning that image of the perveted D&D player who can't have a female in the group without wanting to rape her player character or herself :roll:

(Of course the real reason for all this shit is so degenerate GMs can look for their favorite fetishes that the players have forgotten to explicitly ban :twisted: )
-Yours Truly