Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Rushy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:42 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:36 pm
I was fully expecting that a Current Year adaptation would've turned the Harkonnens into evil colonizers (I mean that's what they effectively were in the book), but apparently they did nothing with them.
There's a reference to that in the opening monologue, where Chani rants about the Harkonnens destroying their lands. Which didn't make any sense, since they were just removing spice. There's even a point made later on that the Harkonnens believe there's only 50k Fremen on the entire planet, which would mean that 99% of sietches were safe and secure. The Harkonnens weren't doing shit to them.

Anyway, I hope sequels do happen, because I'm dying to know if Villeneuve has something in mind for God-Emperor and the later ones with the Bene Gesserit. Will we get to see Jason Momoa become a literal sex god surrounded by Leto's army of women?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm

>destroying muh lands

It's a sand planet. The only thing they could possibly destroy are rocks, and Paul did the most damage to those when he nuked a rock wall :lol:
They don't have anything precious outside of the Fremen's secret underground water reservoirs, but the Harkonnens never found out about those.

And I assume it'll be the same deal with the new It where part 2 is just more disappointing than the previous part.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:20 pm

Rushy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:24 pm
It ends when Paul and Jessica join the Fremen.
Oh, so not even the halfway point.
So what even happens? A bit of Paul training, Leto's shit getting fucked and a bit of desert shuffling and that's it?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:33 pm

From the top of my head:

*Opening monologue - Chani and muh lands speech. Virginia Madsen is missed.
*TITLE CARD
*Paul on Caladan is sad because bad dreams.
*Ceremony of Leto accepting responsibility for Arrakis.
*The shield fight scene with Gurney.
*Gom Jabbar. Jessica tells Paul about being the Kwisatz Haderach, which I found a bit weird since it was an extremely tightly kept secret in the books.
*Paul being mopey around Duncan and Leto. Both get sentimental and are like "mah boi. No matter what happens, we love you."
*The Baron shows up for his first scene.
*Folding space to Arrakis. Only slightly less long than it was in the Lynch film.
*Hunter-seeker attack, but Paul moves all the time and it doesn't kill him.
*The sequence where Leto goes out to the desert, now with added sequence of Paul wandering around in slow-motion because of the spice affecting him, to the point where Gurney has to jump out of the orni and face the worm to get him back.
*Yueh goes all "I'M THE SPY" General Hux style(there's no build-up to there being a traitor, it comes out of nowhere) and the Harkonnen attack begins.
*Paul and Jessica escape. Paul sees visions of the events of "Dune Messiah" and gets all pissy about it. This is constantly intercut with Leto using the tooth on the Baron, who shows up for his second scene, mainly to compliment Leto's kitchen.
*Duncan finds Paul and Jessica, and then dies shortly after when the Sardaukar whack him.
*Paul and Jessica find the Fremen. Javier Bardem is very sleepy, but I think he said "fine you can stay".
*The Jamis fight. There's some weird dream sequence about Chani murdering Paul that goes nowhere. Hopefully not foreshadowing for some fuckery in the next movie.
*Paul and Jessica join the Fremen, and Chani dramatically turns to the camera and goes "This is only the beginning."

Then it's over.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm

SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:39 pm

New signature acquired
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Rushy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:33 pm
*Paul and Jessica join the Fremen, and Chani dramatically turns to the camera and goes "This is only the beginning."
This sounds like a classic sequel bait ending that is never actually followed up by a sequel.

And there was seriously not traitor subplot? That's what the early part of the book was all about, including people suspecting Paul's mother and Leto playing along to lure the actual traitor into a fales sense of security (not that it helped much).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:07 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:47 pm
And there was seriously not traitor subplot? That's what the early part of the book was all about, including people suspecting Paul's mother and Leto playing along to lure the actual traitor into a fales sense of security (not that it helped much).
That would require even a cursory interest in character dynamics and meaningful conversation.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Who would want political intrigue and schemes in a Dune movie, guys?
Rushy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:39 pm
New signature acquired
Oh great. One fucking typo, man!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:32 pm
Who would want political intrigue and schemes in a Dune movie, guys?
It's not like a series about political intrigue and schemes just recently petered out and left the general audience with blue balls. :lol:
Kugelfisch wrote: