Watches

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Watches

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:58 pm

I believe I've shitposted enough about watches for it to warrant it's own thread so here it is.
I do have a mechanical watch but my focus is on G-Shock, more specifically Squares.
The first ever G-Shock was the DW-5000c in 1983.

That shape is what is referred to as a Square.
The model numbers are kind of confusing at first, not just for Squares but G-Shock in general, but for Squares specifically they are simpler than they first appear. They generally either start with DW or GW. Whereas the DW are regular battery watches, the GW are solar ones, almost all of them also having Multiband 6 (or 5 with older models).
So the GW ones update the time every night via radio signal from one of the towers in Germany, England, USA, China or either of the two in Japan. If you live outside of Europe, North America and southern Canada, Japan or northeastern China that feature won't do anything for you. However, the solar will and the solar batteries last around a good twenty years plus.

All of them are very shock resistant and 200m water resistant. The appeal is them being very practical with a good size that looks good on most size wrists. They generally have the same set of functions, regardless of module, with some differences between them with most of them being very useful in daily life.
Generally speaking, they all have a home screen with time, day and date, one or five alarms, a stopwatch, a countdown timer and the GW ones have a world time function.

I currently own six Squares.
GW-M5610
Solar, MB6, World time, five alarms with one of them having a snooze function, stopwatch, timer. Plastic case with stainless steel screwed on back, resin strap and bezel.
The most basic solar Square you can get right now. Cheap, tough, reliable, classic look. I'd recommend it to everyone as the ultimate care-free watch. It's tough, it's accurate and you never have to worry about batteries. The perfect work watch.

GW-B5600 Heritage
Same as 5610 but with a more modern module. Comes on the Combi Bracelet v2.0, a super light plastic bracelet. The Heritage has links that are red on the inside, as you can see in the picture. The B stands for Bluetooth. You can connect it to your phone to set all regular functions and to update the time, should you live somewhere without MB6 reception.
The date can be set to DD.MM and the day to five different languages.

GMW-B5000
The same as a GW-B5600 but completely in stainless steel, including the case with a screwdown back. These came out as part of the 35th anniversary last year but aren't limited anniversary models.

GMW-B5000TFG
The same as the GMW-B5000 above but gold-coloured. This is the 35th anniversary GW series model. There is an unlimited gold model with a negative screen and a brushed bezel and bracelet but this one just plain looks better.
It's also much more expensive and more collectible.

DW-5035D-1BJR
One of the DW series 35th anniversary models. Like all anniversary models, which come out every five years, it has a steel case with a screwdown back instead of the now normal plastic case with screw on steel back. The hardware on the strap is also golden steel.
Function-wise the DW models are a bit different. No solar, no MB6, only one alarm, no world time. The top right button is the start stop button and the lower right one is for light, exactly the other way around from the GW series models.
However, the timer can be set to auto repeat, the alarm can be set to a date and you can set the screen to flash along the alarms.
This watch also has a sheet of steel behind the display with lots of tiny holes in them, giving it that shimmering screen effect. It's likely my favourite watch right now.

GWX-5600
The X stands for xtreme. No joke. It's a surf watch. It's pretty much a 5610 with a tide graph and moon phase function. You can also predict the tide and moon phase of any given place at any given time. A lot of tides per location are programmed in but you can of course set it to wherever you want if you know when the next high tide is.
The strap and bezel are of a different material and have a glossy finish with some irregular matte line grid that doesn't show well in pictures.
The timer is a bit different as well. You can set two different countdown times that can repeat up to ten times. Ideal for lifting sets including breaks or start cycles of races. Unique alarm sound as well. Real nifty toy to play around with.

I've got two more Squares on the way right now and I've already mentioned both of them somewhere else. They are the two DW-5600 models from the 90s throwback series.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Re: Watches

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Imagine paying that much for a watch just to lose it in your buddy's ass.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:33 pm
You keep mentioning that. Must be a real problem for you.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:44 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 pm
Guest wrote:
No, I've got a lot of new watches over the years.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:44 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 pm
Guest wrote:
No, I've got a lot of new watches over the years.
You could always just stop fisting with your offhand.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 am

If anyone's getting fisted it's going to be me.

And the only watch worth owning is the one from Speed.

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:32 am

For a while years ago Fossil watches were the rage. I remember them being shit that had no battery life. But my family said they were valuable, I guess because they were expensive.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 am

They aren't. Retaining value with watches is mostly a meme. If it's a quartz it likely is worthless unless it's some special G-Shock or one of the very early LED watches that happens to be cool as hell. A regular watch with hands in quartz? Worthless. People don't even want Rolex Oysterquartz watches.

For mechanicals, unless it's a Rolex, Omega or JLC it likely worth very little compared to buying price. Unless it's a Audemars Piquet Royal Oak, Vacheron Constantin Overseas or a Patek Phillipe it's guaranteed to have lost value.
If it's any other brand there's a 99% chance of it being worth very, very little. There's no such thing as "investing in watches" unless you can somehow get a current stainless steel Rolex at retail price.
Guest wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 am
If anyone's getting fisted it's going to be me.

And the only watch worth owning is the one from Speed.
So the G-Shock DW-5000C. A fine choice. A good one will run you about 500 bucks plus these days, though. They are old and had some rough use because they were cheap at the time and idiots like you thought it'd be a good idea to wear one while fisting.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:16 am

I haven't worn a watch in years. And no, I've never owned a smartphone.
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 am

RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:16 am
And no, I've never owned a smartphone.
Good on you. They are normalfag cancer, hence why I keep my Blackberry. I have to have a phone out of necessity but I don't want to deal with all the app faggot shit.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!