Knives

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
rabidtictac

Re: Knives

Post by rabidtictac » Mon May 04, 2020 6:47 pm

I wonder why hunting like humans have been for thousands of years is no longer allowed in krautlandia.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon May 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Because cavemen didn't have grocery stores.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon May 04, 2020 8:48 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:47 pm
I wonder why hunting like humans have been for thousands of years is no longer allowed in krautlandia.
Hunting here is a very, very large can of worms to open. It has a lot to do with the guild, how it operates and who they allow to become a hunter.
The short version as to why specifically those items aren't allowed is due to humane killing. It is very strictly regulated with what calibre at what distance you may shoot what animal. No shooting at bunnies with Lapua Mag, no shooting at deer with .22LR. The task of killing an animal is not there for you to have fun but to efficiently kill it in the most humane and quick way. Especially picking too slow and low energy of a projectile is a very big no no. You can legit get your license taken away and get banned for life for that.

Understand that hunting is a privilege and that there is no wilderness here. There is no such thing as a privately owned forest in Germany and there are far too few animals to allow hunting outside of very strict regulations.
To not drag this out further, think of the hunting guild as being allowed into the ranks of nobility and having to follow laws of chivalry in return. It's not quite that goofy but it's not far from it.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed May 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Benchmade 196 Protagonist

I've got the version without serrations but couldn't find a good image that includes the sheath. I don't normally like black coated blades. It's also completely unnecessary as it's made from 154CM, which is a stainless steel. I still picked it because I really like the overall design.
The grip is hard plastic with a rubber coating. They are scales on a full tang construction.

The steel is fantastic! It's an ingot steel made by Crucible in the USA, not to be confused with CPM154, which is the powder metal variant of it made by the same company. I've owned knives with both and like them both but slightly favour 154CM. It's powder variant isn't better by much but way more expensive. I've got no way of measuring it but I'd guess it's 59HRC in this knife.
It isn't prone to chipping, holds an edge for a very long time and is super easy to sharpen to a very keen edge. When it dulls it usually only takes a few swipes on a ceramic bar and it's back to razor sharpness.

Benchmade did a very good job on this knife. A good flat grind, classic drop point (there's a tanto version but I hate tantos), effective gimping for your thumb. The length of the blade is 11.43cm (4.5''), which is just about the sweet spot for a fixed knife.
No signs of the often shoddy quality control ob Benchmade are here. It was also very affordable. So naturally, it was discontinued by Benchmade. :lol:
It's a great EDC and outdoor knife. I wish they had made a version with a non-coated blade. It wouldn't look so tacticool and the steel really doesn't need it.

I'll likely have a kydex sheath made for it soon. Why they decided on a sheath with a clip strap is beyond me. It's not terrible but also not all that great. Then again they would've likely charged an extra fifty bucks if it came with a kydex one.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 07, 2020 6:37 am

Bastinelli R.E.D. V2

Alright, let's get to one of my favourite and most carried knives. It's in my top two and days carried it's likely my number one.
Bastinelli is a French custom knife maker who also has many of his custom designs made by larger companies as production models. This is one of those production ones, made by Fox knives, a very good Italian knife company.

All his knives are tacticool as fuawk but in a good way. The R.E.D. was made in colaboration with Le R.A.I.D., France's special police force. Basically their GSG 9, so a rung higher than S.W.A.T. for example.

The knife is nice and flat. Full tang construction.
SpecificationsShow
Blade Length: 101mm (4.0")
Cutting Edge: 99mm (3.90")
Handle Length: 117.5mm (4.625")
Overall Length: 219mm (8.625")
Blade Material: N690Co Stainless Steel
Blade Thickness: 3mm (0.12")
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Grind: Flat
Blade Finish: Stonewash
Handle Material: Black G10
Handle Thickness: 12.7mm (0.50")
Sheath Material: Kydex
Weight: 116g (4.1 oz.)
Weight with sheath: 139g (4.9 oz.)
N690Co is a very common ingot steel for European fixed blades. It's more on the tough side but holds an edge well enough and is easy to sharpen for a stainless steel.
But what makes it one of my favourites? It's practicality. You can hold it in four ways very comfortably, the gimping is plentiful and very well made, all edges are rounded off and the sheath is a minimalist kydex one. Not a mm larger or thicker than it needs to be.
The blade is a mix between a tanto and a drop point. Not as annoying to sharpen as a tanto, better for combat than a drop point. It also looks scary enough when you need it to without looking so scary that your bitchmade co-workers thinking you're a psychopath.

The only problems would be availability and price outside of Europe. It's already difficult to find the stonewashed version. Most are black coated. Price will usually go from very fair to rather expensive if you're in the USA or Australia.
I'd still absolutely recommend it. It's my most carried knife for a reason. It does everything well and carries very comfortably completely concealed.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Sat May 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Alright, better question: is it better to practice knife throwing technique? [Or is that impractical?]

If so, which technique is the better/more recommended?
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 09, 2020 4:18 pm

I always figured knife throwing is an excellent way to lose your weapon. Will probably freak out your target, at least.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 09, 2020 6:11 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:08 pm
Alright, better question: is it better to practice knife throwing technique? [Or is that impractical?]

If so, which technique is the better/more recommended?
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:18 pm
I always figured knife throwing is an excellent way to lose your weapon. Will probably freak out your target, at least.
And likely do minimal damage. If you're far away enough for knife throwing, you're far away enough to avoid the situation outright - which should be your preferred option.
A big reason why Karambits make excellent weapons is that you're extremely unlikely to get disarmed. Well that and also that even a tiny one causes absurd damage.

In practical terms, a good, medium sized knife is likely your best option. It's why I like the R.E.D. so much. 99.9% of the time you carry a knife for utility and it's great for that. The blade geometry is casual enough and it's not going to freak out people too much. But it's very secure in the hand so if I'd really have to use it for self-defence I won't just lose it.

If I could legally carry a gun I'd go with a small Karambit and a pocket knife for utility. You can hold the Karambit in your off-hand without disturbing your pistol grip.
In the end it's mostly tacticool LARPing but a man's got to have a bit of fun every once in a while, right? :lol:
I also really want to have a MakoShow

Illegal to carry here but who cares? :lol: Yes, I'm a bit of a Bastinelli fanboy.
PS: I've got a Cold Steel Torpedo, though.

Wonderful and stupid fun to throw at some old pallets. Unlike a knife you don't have to worry about fucking up a blade and if you have that thing laying around somewhere and somebody breaks in you can just yeet the fucker and go get your gun. It's pretty damn heavy so even if you don't hit with the tip it's a mean bar of steel. :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Very interesting watch if you have 25 minutes or worth skipping a bit through if you only have ten or so minutes.
The long and short of it is that knife defence techniques for the most part don't work.
If you have an hour 45 to spare and ideally some buddies over and a few beers, do yourself the favour and watch Bas Rutten's Lethal Street Fighting! Part two. Highly entertaining and the most practical and funny self defence instructional video you'll ever see. I guarantee you that you'll have a blast because Bas is absolutely hilarious. I must get the DVD eventually.

In all the stuff I've seen about the subject, and do believe me I have seen a lot, my conclusion is the following:
Kickboxing plus Judo is the most effective, actual real life self defence combination you can have. MMA is not a great representation of IRL fighting but it's very close. The only exception is that IRL there is no ground fight. You never want to be on the ground! Likewise, nobody will ever attempt a takedown on you in a bar fight.
I'm not discounting Jiu-jitsu entirely, because it would be great to know how to escape if you happen to go to the ground. But most people won't take you there and you should be able to stop some random twat from taking you there in the first place.

Realistic situations are most likely going to be against people that only have street/bar fighting experience. Being able to dodge punches, throw fuckers that grab you real hard onto the ground or into the bar/a table and being able to front kick a fucker that pulls a knife are practically the best things to know.
The long and rambly bit from some Kraut asshole.Show
The most valuable skill, however, is situational awareness. Don't go to weird places. Be non-confrontational, disengage out of trouble scenarios. Situation in a bar gets heated? Leave. You're prevented from leaving? Knock the fucker out right away, then leave ASAP.
I carry a knife as a last resort. The chance of having a knife pulled on me is very slim, due to the places I chose to go to. I'm very likely the only guy that carries one. You don't want to be in a knife fight. You don't want to be in a fight where you're the only one that has a knife. Knives are so extremely effective even with no training at all that I can't stress that enough. Every single stab, every single slice with a properly sharp knife is really, really bad news that can potentially be something you have to deal with for the rest of your life or even die from.
A coward lives to fight another day, a hero dies. Part of why I usually don't like black coated blades. I want everyone to see that I'm pulling a knife if it ever comes to that point. Might give them pause and reconsider, allowing me to just leave.
I'll engage in a brawl with a dude if I have to. But I won't have three guys beat me up and hope they stop before they intentionally or unintentionally beat me to death. I'll cut the fuckers. And I'll take having harmed them for the rest of their lives and still dying over not having done shit any day of the week.

But if you're smart you'll never get into that situation. Even if you're dumb like me but have the correct mindset you won't. You know me when I'm drunk. I'm a loud-mouthed asshole. Yet I've only ever been in two fights all my life. But I've escaped dozens of potential ones. Be non-confrontational, tell the dude you're not there for a fight, offer to buy him a beer. Gotten out of many fights like that. It helps if you're charismatic and a natural bullshitter. Other times, I didn't have a fight because I sucker punched a dude or intimidated the guy because I was buff and confident or I was there with way more people than the dude. One time I drew a knife against a group and asked who wanted to have a go first or if they'd prefer me to just be on my way.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Since I've gone on about this in the past, here are the knife laws of Germany in a very short format:
Illegal to own:
Butterfly knives, Out The Front (OTF) automatics, gravity knives (basically non-automatic OFT) and punch daggers (except if you have a hunting license.)
Everything else is legal to own.

Illegal to carry under §42a:
Fixed blades over 12cm, double edged blades, karambits, one-hand-openable knives with a locking mechanism, out the side automatics with a blade length over 4cm and knives with "pure combat characteristics". No length restrictions on folding knives otherwise.
Breaking this law is a misdemeanor.

So in practise it works out like this:
Nobody will pester you about a pocket knife, except the most ultra turbo cunt cop. Don't trust pigs in general.
Most fixed knives are okay if they are under 12cm.
But it also means that if your knife "looks too mean" for the particular kind of faggot cop and if the judge is a super faggot about it you may as well have been carrying a dagger in the first place. That's why I really don't give a fuck. I carry concealed so nobody gets to know anyway. Worst case scenario I get a low fine.

The law has been slightly reworked in February. Now there are "weapon-free zones" possible. If you're the owner of any kind of gun license you can carry §42a legal knives even in those zones but faggot states like Berlin are openly defiant to that and will take you to court anyway. Truly living up to their stereotype.

Interesting to note is that the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, the famous redlight district, has been a "weapon-free zone" for decades without that ever being actual enforceable law.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!