Knives

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Knives

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon May 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Let me hit you with a double whammy! Knife laws in the UK!
Legal to carry:
No. Technically some slipjoint knives, maybe, likely still not. Also no screwdrivers or spoons.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Very interesting watch if you have 25 minutes or worth skipping a bit through if you only have ten or so minutes.
The long and short of it is that knife defence techniques for the most part don't work.
If you have an hour 45 to spare and ideally some buddies over and a few beers, do yourself the favour and watch Bas Rutten's Lethal Street Fighting! Part two. Highly entertaining and the most practical and funny self defence instructional video you'll ever see. I guarantee you that you'll have a blast because Bas is absolutely hilarious. I must get the DVD eventually.
SpoilerShow
In all the stuff I've seen about the subject, and do believe me I have seen a lot, my conclusion is the following:
Kickboxing plus Judo is the most effective, actual real life self defence combination you can have. MMA is not a great representation of IRL fighting but it's very close. The only exception is that IRL there is no ground fight. You never want to be on the ground! Likewise, nobody will ever attempt a takedown on you in a bar fight.
I'm not discounting Jiu-jitsu entirely, because it would be great to know how to escape if you happen to go to the ground. But most people won't take you there and you should be able to stop some random twat from taking you there in the first place.

Realistic situations are most likely going to be against people that only have street/bar fighting experience. Being able to dodge punches, throw fuckers that grab you real hard onto the ground or into the bar/a table and being able to front kick a fucker that pulls a knife are practically the best things to know.
This is something the good martial artists know. Knife and gun defense techniques don't work. Best way to know a martial arts dojo is full of hacks is if they teach knoife defense like it's something you can do easily, or give you "techniques" for disarms. That shit never works! People using knives don't lock their arms when they swing at you and they don't windmill like a 4 year old.

If you fight someone who has a knife, you WILL get cut. You WILL get cut and it will be very dangerous. Your best bet imo would be to wrap something around your non-dominant arm and hold it out like a shield so you can bait a swing to close (that's IF you have no other weapons). Even then, if you do try to close, odds are good he will just pull his knife back and gut you.

As far as what martial arts styles are good, my feeling is that there are good practitioners all around, in all systems. But the good ones become more and more like each other (across systems) over time. What I mean is that "real" karate vs "real" kung fu vs "real" kickboxing vs "real" jujutsu are not all that different. Most styles teach some kind of intermediate-distance grappling and there are only so many ways to move your body. If the practitioner is fit, strong, has trained what they know so it's a reflex action and they haven't internalized any bullshido, then they're fine. But that doesn't mean a gang member with a pipe or knife couldn't fuck them up. Martial arts can do only so much.

And gun defense? Get outta here. Unless the guy is brainless or drunk, you won't be able to disarm a gun faster than he can shoot at you. Better hope he misses. But if he was going to miss, you'd have been better off running the other direction.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue May 12, 2020 3:49 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 am
If you fight someone who has a knife, you WILL get cut. You WILL get cut and it will be very dangerous.
WhyICarryAKnife.txt
Notice how the only semi-effective thing was to push the other guy's shoulder. Front kick would've been even better. Kick the fucker away and run! Once you're far away enough, draw your gun. If you don't have one, keep running, nigger!
Conversely, I'll have nobody just beat me up three on one. I won't just go and hope they don't kill me. I'll kill at least one of them and disfigure all of them. I'll teach them a lesson. I'd rather die in the process than just standing there like a bitch taking it. High chance I can run once I stab/cut the first fucker as well.
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 am
And gun defense? Get outta here. Unless the guy is brainless or drunk, you won't be able to disarm a gun faster than he can shoot at you. Better hope he misses. But if he was going to miss, you'd have been better off running the other direction.
Bring a knife to the gunfight. If you're only a step away you'll gut any fucker before he has drawn his gun.
Then again, why are you there in that situation in the first place? You should not be in the place, arguing with the kind of guy to pull a gun on you.

Be sure to watch the Bas Rutten videos I've linked eventually. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of them.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 am

I'm watching them now and already seeing some shit that I learned about choke defense when I was taking martial arts. Like, the exact same moves, lel. But there's a lot of good info in those videos.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 am
I'm watching them now and already seeing some shit that I learned about choke defense when I was taking martial arts. Like, the exact same moves, lel. But there's a lot of good info in those videos.
Plus, Bas is funny. :lol:

Edit: Like at 25 minutes in. "Right here, I could easily go for an arm bar. I wouldn't do that. Instead, step over and you can easily SNAP like this and it's over, the arm is broken."
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!