Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:58 am

>movie adaptation removes strong indepentend woman from the story

Is this yet another proof of him being a Replicant, or an unforgivable crime born from toxic masculinity :thinking: ?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 am

I forgot to mention that Deckard main motivation to hunt down the replicants is being able to afford a real animal as a pet for said wife, Rachel is a slut who slept with many Blade Runners in order to dissuade them, and in the end Deckard and his wife stay together and come to the conclusion that electric animals are alive too.

If you want a much more faithful adaptation of a Dick novel, go with Screamers.
It was so faithful that reading the novel beforehand ruined the movie for me.

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:22 am

Haven’t seen The Last Duel yet - but Matt and Affleck trying to sound British sounds cringy…and it’s two and a half hours.
ebin namefag wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
I don't know when they divorced I just know that it's Brad's fault.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 am

CuckTurdginson wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:22 am
Haven’t seen The Last Duel yet - but Matt and Affleck trying to sound British sounds cringy…and it’s two and a half hours.
Also it's clear that there will be no ambiguity in this movie as it seems like they're going with the notion that she was raped.
“I wouldn’t want anybody to call this a ‘he said, she said’ movie. It’s more like a he said, he said, and then she said the truth.”
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies ... -last-duel

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:09 am

Ambiguity is for losers.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Rewatching the Stallone Judge Dredd. It's been years since I last saw it. The movie itself has been better than expected except for Rob Schneider. If Rob could be digitally removed from the movie and his shitty lines expunged, the film would be elevated immeasurably in quality. I don't mind Dredd not wearing the helmet or the story focusing primarily on the whole "Dredd vs Death" thing from the comics... But god damn, dude. Rob Schneider is fucking insufferable. I was hoping the entire movie that this prick would die.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:17 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Body Count (1986)

I've been aware of this film since the early 90's, but just now got to watch it. We used to have the video censorship law during 1988-2000 that restricted the distribution of violent films in the country. If the film contained a little more violence than a regular R-rated Hollywood mainstream film, it usually ended up on the list of completely banned films, even some R-rated movies ended up on the list. I remember Terminator 2 got first banned completely, but the distributor of the film made a complaint about it and by some miracle trade the film was finally allowed to show here, completely uncut even!

However, slasher movies (and more generally, films in which women are subjected to violence like giallos) were just the kind of films that the Board of Film Classification especially hated. Slasher films like this one were virtually always automatically banned. I don't think the movie reviewers of the state even watched these movies, they just gave them a direct ban based on the genre. I remember they used this film as an example in one of the propaganda TV-programs defending the film censorship in the 90's. Some old dumb broad was so horrified by all that awful, horrible shit that was going on in this film and how we need to protect our youth from this kind of trash. Well, fuck you motherfucker, I know what I want from my entertainment, I don't need any state crank to protect me from "trash". You can keep your Gone with the Wind and It's a Wonderful Life, they are trash to me.

The video censorship nonsense is now thankfully just a distant memory and all movies can be ordered or streamed in the blink of an eye. Finally I got around to watch this, but unfortunately it's pretty bad, quite clearly the worst of Deodato's films that I've seen. Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man, The Atlantis Interceptors, The House on the Edge of the Park, Last Cannibal World and, of course, the notorious Cannibal Holocaust are all vastly better films. The plot is silly and confusing, the kills are fairly uninspiring and despite its short duration, the film seems to repeat itself quite insanely. There is however a fair amount of tits and asses. The ending is complete nonsense.

5/10 Watchable, but the director is capable of much, much better.
Americans have no idea how lucky they were that they had MPAA instead of the state run censorship like many yuropoor countries have (or had), like in Germany, Sweden, UK, Finland, Norway and a few other countries. Sure MPAA has (or had) their own problems, but when compared to our VET, Sweden, UK, Germany etc they were so fucking hands off. Films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and a lot of other films were outright banned in here, I remember counting days when the film/video censorship was finally lifted at the start of 2001 when the first previously heavily cut or banned films would be released on DVD, like Evil Dead, which was cut by over 10 minutes on VHS, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead etc. IIRC Dawn of the Dead and Evil Dead were released quite soon after the censorship was officially lifted. UK and Germany still suffers from the censorship to some extent, which is fucking ridiculous, but not surprising. I think aussiecuckland too.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Censorship here in Krautland is also abritrary as fuck thanks to the changing Zeitgeist. If you wanna get a legal copy of the original and uncut version of Dawn of the Dead, you have to import it from Austria (unless that has changed in recent times; it was certainly still banned when I got my copy).
Meanwhile, we have modern horror flicks that even with a "16 an up" age rating still show more graphic gore and violence than even the most despicable scenes from Dawn of the Dead.
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Rewatching the Stallone Judge Dredd. It's been years since I last saw it. The movie itself has been better than expected except for Rob Schneider. If Rob could be digitally removed from the movie and his shitty lines expunged, the film would be elevated immeasurably in quality. I don't mind Dredd not wearing the helmet or the story focusing primarily on the whole "Dredd vs Death" thing from the comics... But god damn, dude. Rob Schneider is fucking insufferable. I was hoping the entire movie that this prick would die.
I also give them props for haven more "authentic" Judge uniforms (as little screen time as they get). The "better" adaptation shrunk down the glorious pauldrons to effectively nothing, all to make the movie look more "gritty" and "realistic" I suppose.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:56 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:58 am
>movie adaptation removes strong indepentend woman from the story

Is this yet another proof of him being a Replicant, or an unforgivable crime born from toxic masculinity :thinking: ?
I read DADOES recently and it's a very different story from the Blade Runner movie. I'm pretty certain the screenwriter only read the cliff notes and not the actual book. Most of the book is focused on Deckard saving up enough cash to buy himself a real sheep, since real animals are almost extinct and there's some religious subplot that got cut entirely.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:42 pm

re: censorship in Germany
Once a rating is given, the rights holder or publisher would have to pay and apply for a new evaluation. That's how you end up with old stuff that today would release no problem still being on a list.

Wings of Fury for example is still on the index.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!