Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:38 pm

They keep digging up these old fossils because they have actual name recognition, especially during this current era where all those franchises from 30+ years ago are getting some last hurrah while the original actors are still among the living.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:41 am

How would an actor today even get that kinda status? It's all either pure popcorn trash or some weird arthouse but not really Oscar bait.

I find the cummy book movie fags to be ultra exchangeable. And it's not like they could possibly learn good acting in those roles either.

I think the most recent movie I've seen is Kingsman 2. Very mediocre.
That's been a good while ago. But not watching movies isn't unusual for me at all.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:45 pm

I only care about older movies anymore. I have a pretty good set up at home. I have the 5.1 surround sound thing happening and all that silly stuff. Satuday night we watched the new 4K disc of "Singin' in the Rain" and it looked and sounded amazing and we ate good food that we cooked and I have no doubt that we had a better time doing that than if we went to see "Thor: Love and Thunder".

New movies are very uninspiring. You know everything's going to be woke. Even action movies look boring because they're basically computer animation now. When the Alamo Drafthouse restarted their subscription service ($20 per person a month to see as many movies as you like, up to one per day, at the theater), I thought we'd do it, but then I just didn't care.

The last new movie I saw was "Dune", I think. I liked it. I wanted to see "The Northman" on the big screen, but it came and went fast and I missed it.

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:52 am

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:45 pm
Even action movies look boring because they're basically computer animation now.
That describes the past 10+ years of capeshit alone, perpetuated by the bloated success of the MCU. The CGI is so bland, it looks like PS2-tier mediocrity with barely any effort. Now, every modern action film feels like vidya, similar to how modern vidya tries desperately to imitate movies. The two mediums essentially switched sides in the West due to dipshits being put in charge. :roll:
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:43 am

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:52 am
The two mediums essentially switched sides in the West due to dipshits being put in charge. :roll:
I wouldn't say the two mediums switched sides. They merged to become a single mediocrity, which is generally what happens when you've got creators in one medium (vidya) trying to imitate another (movies) whilst ignoring what made their own medium special or what their medium can do that the one they're imitating can't

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 am

This is a very boomer thing to say, but when I was a kid I remember that you HAD to see "Terminator 2" when it came out and you HAD to see "Jurassic Park" because the special effects were gonna BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND. And back then they did. Nobody talks about movies like that anymore.

Today, there's either cheap, shitty CGI or there's really good CGI that looks like a bunch of other movies that also have good CGI. It's rare that anything stands out. Everything looks the same.

That's part of why, again, I'm really into old movies these days. I love the effects in "Forbidden Planet" from 1956. It probably looks super-cheesy to young non-binary adolescents today, but I love how handmade it is. Most sci-fi movies at the time were in black-and-white, which helped to hide cheap effects, but "Forbidden Planet" is in blazing color so they had to make it look good and I think they did, Throw in the great theremin music and it puts you in a very dream-like world.

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Same goes for the overwhelming majority of modern media, including music, vidya, and TV; they're all homogenized shit these days. Retro's really where it's at anymore.
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 pm

Flash Gordon was on the tv randomly a couple days ago, and I had to marvel at that movie's ability to create fantastic, colorful sets and garish, but still lavish costumes. It looked like a proper fantasy world. Some random '80s shlock movie is better at that than any mahvul capeshit with the most cutting-edge CGI.

Old shit is just better. Even the flawed old movies are interesting in a way that new movies aren't.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:36 am

"Flash Gordon" is my favorite comics movie. I've probably seen it fifty times. Yes, it looks great and it doesn't take itself seriously. It's absurd and full of personality. The music from Queen is great, too.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:44 am

Recent interview with Sam Jones:

I watched Tetsuo the Bullet Man after rewatching Iron Man and Body Hammer, and it was very disappointing.
It seems that the bigger is Shinya Tsukamoto's budget, the shittier is the final result.
I understand that the impressive stop motion animations of the first movie (also present in the second) took years to be made, but this time he just replaced them all with shaky cam shit.
The plot is just another lazy variation of the same story; the metal fetishist torments the salaryman and turns him into a metal monster, the two fight and then fuse together into a tank monstrosity and proceed to destroy the world.
In the first two movies, in this one the salaryman just "wins" and gets a generic happy ending.
The salaryman this time is played by an American actor whose English is even stiffer than his Japanese co-stars'.
The make up is worse than in the previous movies, i was expecting the monster to have some bullet-like properties, and instead it's just another lump of metal which grows guns like the one in body hammer.