Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:53 am
Cole Young was clearly a stand in for Takeda. Writers wanted that character, realized he was a descendent of an OG combatant, and made an OC with shitty Wonder Woman 84 armor as a super power. MK2021 was shit and did indeed feel like Netflixvania where the writers think that they’re better than the writers of the source material.

Tell me the whole thing didn’t look like reused assets from the DCEU and Legendary Godzilla films. Goro looked like a mega cheap Kong, Reptile looked like one of those things from the end of Shin Godzilla, and the film had that overly filtered dark Justice League look to it.
It does indeed look like a WB/Legendary Pictures movie. Even Dune has that look.

Warner Bros. is a weird studio. You can look at a random scene from a late 90s/early 00s movie and instantly know what period it's from.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 02, 2021 6:43 pm

It's because they always chase the latest fads when it comes to filming and editing.
Guest wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:17 pm
Honestly, with a few tweaks the movie could have been great. All the awful CG and wire-fu really dated it even in 2003. Garner was awful. Bullseye was treated like a joke.
Hey now. Colin Farrell gave us one of the greatest villain scenes in all of capeshit.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 7:14 pm

It's amazing how they went all out on the DD costume but then just toss Bullseye into a leather coat and Garner into some sweats.

Here's part 1 of the hour-long documentary that came with the DVD. There's also another lengthy doc on the director's cut version that goes over the differences between cuts and why the studio interfered.

The director's cut is not better. Everyone says it is because it's rated R, but it's just extra scenes featuring Coolio, who makes nothing better.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Studios of the early 00's didn't quite like having villans (or sometimes even the heroes) in authentic costumes, since that was considered too silly or something.

I mean, what else did we have around the time? The two X-Men movies? Magneto and Mystique were the only villains that somewhat dressed like their comic counterpart. Everyone else was just some evil dude with powers.
Spider-Man? Sure, the Green Goblin had some kind of costume, but the very next movie had Octopus just be a dude with mechanical tentacles.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 7:28 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm
Spider-Man? Sure, the Green Goblin had some kind of costume, but the very next movie had Octopus just be a dude with mechanical tentacles.
Doctor Octopus doesn't really have any kind of costume. Why complain about the only one that was accurate?

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm pretty sure he preferred nerdy-looking (green) jumpsuits before the movie popularized his casual trenchcoat look.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 7:37 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm
I'm pretty sure he preferred nerdy-looking (green) jumpsuits before the movie popularized his casual trenchcoat look.
Yeah, but it's not standard. Ditko had him wear a white jumpsuit kind of thing. Or a regular shirt and pants. Erik Larsen had him wear suits. The main attraction of Doc Ock is the tentacles so artists have been free in the past to have him wear whatever, so Raimi did nothing wrong.

That power rangers Green Goblin though, and then James Franco Goblin, those were a travesty though. But I believe the studio insisted on the former.

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Autists defending Spider-Man 2 Doc Ock. I've witnessed it all now.

Bryan Singer was notoriously embarrassed by comic book costumes, but like a proper homo he thought goofy leather was just fine. It's not like the Batman movies didn't exist. Everyone loved the Keaton costumes; even the Forever costumes were pretty cool.

Anyway, DareDevil 2 starring Ben Affleck. Make it happen, HBO Max!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 02, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't think they can get him boozed up enough to take that role.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun May 02, 2021 8:15 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Autists defending Spider-Man 2 Doc Ock. I've witnessed it all now.
You didn't witness it at the time when everybody loved the movie?