Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Dehbashi

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Dehbashi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:34 am

Liar is right. While I caught the tail end of the cartoon's original run due to my age, you can tell the difference in time from the beginning and ending of that run.

Overall Ghostbusters is a niche product. That's actually the problem with Frozen Empire. While its box office opening is the same as Afterlife, the budget is bigger which is making it a dud.

Also the biggest issue is that it can't rely on international box office since the franchise is originally a comedy which usually don't due as well overseas due to jokes being harder to translate compared to action movies with their scenes. That's why comedies' budgets are usually under 100 million easily for that reason.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:06 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:57 pm
And then, Q5 ruined everything. They dumbed-down the cartoon into a lame cartoon for babies. Kids noticed and tuned out.
Over here kids didn't notice until Slimer became the protagonist, because the whole thing was dubbed by the same VAs of the movies.
Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:57 pm
By the time Ghostbusters 2 came out in 1989, the Ghostbusters were very passé. It was viewed as being for kids. And then the actual movie was more kiddie-pandering garbage.
It still had some funny, very adult-oriented jokes, like the one about the epididymis, and Venkman interviewing a bitch who cheated on her husband with a stranger met in a bar, and then claimed she was abducted by an alien.
The real problem was the dumbass plot.
And of course SARAH WILSON likes it more than the first one, being a stupid cunt and all.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:51 am

Dehbashi wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:34 am
Also the biggest issue is that it can't rely on international box office since the franchise is originally a comedy which usually don't due as well overseas due to jokes being harder to translate compared to action movies with their scenes. That's why comedies' budgets are usually under 100 million easily for that reason.
That's just the translators' problem, like with every movie.
And the reason comedies tend to have a lower budget is mainly because the types of stories told in comedies can get away with cheap sets and effects.
If the story even needs that and isn't just some schmucks faffing about in a present day US city, and which point it's more of a glorified sitcom special.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 am

Big production values with special effects tend to not mix well with straight-up comedy. I think it's distracting. Historically, movies like that do badly. The original "Ghostbusters" is a rare exception.

Offhand though, I think of the first Coen Brothers movie that got bad reviews, "The Hudsucker Proxy". A goofy comedy that was a big Hollywood production with beautifully designed sets, and it was a massive bomb. I like it, but it wasn't well-received when it came out.

Then there's the obvious 2016 "Ghostbusters" remake, which is ultra-slick and full of CGI and all that somehow makes an already unfunny movie even worse. All of the bombast feels like it's for nothing.

I think it works in the original "Ghostbusters" because when you think about the movie, you don't really even think about the effects or even the plot. You think about the chemistry between the cast, which is hard to recapture. And if you break down the movie's theme, it's not really about ghosts. It's about starting a business with a weird idea and seeing it take off.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 am

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 am
Then there's the obvious 2016 "Ghostbusters" remake, which is ultra-slick and full of CGI and all that somehow makes an already unfunny movie even worse. All of the bombast feels like it's for nothing.
It was effectively bad improv theater with 100+ million dollars worth of special effects.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:45 pm

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
I think it works in the original "Ghostbusters" because when you think about the movie, you don't really even think about the effects or even the plot. You think about the chemistry between the cast, which is hard to recapture. And if you break down the movie's theme, it's not really about ghosts. It's about starting a business with a weird idea and seeing it take off.
I think this is the best way to explain it. The supernatural stuff was secondary to them creating the business and maintaining it. The best example is them fending off Walter Peck and mocking how much government causes issues. It's also the main reason 2016 fails because the government are allied with them.

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 am

Sony's shit at spending money and Paul Feig is shit at punctual jokes.
ebin namefag wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
I don't know when they divorced I just know that it's Brad's fault.

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
I think it works in the original "Ghostbusters" because when you think about the movie, you don't really even think about the effects or even the plot. You think about the chemistry between the cast, which is hard to recapture.
I think this is it. The original 1984 movie really caught lightning in a bottle between the cast and director and the concept and it isn't recreatable. Both Afterlife and FE have a lot of returning characters and scene callbacks and it just doesn't work, even when it's the original cast members interacting.
Picard also had this issue (among others).

JL Unlimited

Post by JL Unlimited » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

CuckTurdginson wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 am
Sony's shit at spending money and Paul Feig is shit at punctual jokes.
Paul Feig is a hack yid, whose only talent is being Judd Apatow‘s friend.
Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Extreme Ghostbusters was superior, it had a not Clive Barker episode.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.