Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Books

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:29 pm

I finished the Foundation trilogy a couple of days ago.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! I liked that the Foundation wasn't just the good guys destined to win.

Over the 400 year span of the three books, it changed purpose and goals, dealt with unpredictable threads and uncertainty, called into question the validity of Seldon's supposed mathematically guaranteed plan and were the actual antagonist more than once.

I can only recommend the series up to this point. Easy to read in chunks as well, as the time skips serve as natural breaks but aren't jarring like in God Emperor of Dune.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:16 pm

I liked the era where they trolled shithole planets with Tech-Priests.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:29 pm
jarring like in God Emperor of Dune.
I still don't get the logic of bringing back Duncan instead of Gurney.

Gurney Halleck: opinionated salt of the earth warrior, has been around for multiple books, plays the baliset, has an interesting backstory with the scar and everything.

Duncan Idaho: an idealised soldier that no one can relate to. Died in the first half of the first book. Has no known hobbies or unique backstory. More is known about the Children of Dune ghola than the original Duncan.

If Gurney was the main character, I guarantee God-Emperor would have gone down much better with audiences.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 pm

• Heimskringla: Or, the Lives of the Norse Kings
• The Poetic Edda: Stories of the Norse Gods and Heroes
• Ibn Fadlan and the Land of Darkness: Arab Travellers in the Far North
• Saga of the Volsungs: With the Saga of Ragnar Lothbrok
• Beowulf: A New Verse Translation
• The Sagas of Icelanders: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
• Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Book - I. English Text; II. Commentary: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Comment
• The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid Box Set: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)

Bring on the next fucking lockdown then scum Ive got enough material to keep me busy for months locked in my home

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 pm

Suspiciously völkisch selection, guest.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:12 am

All copyright-free as well, though. Interesting reading for sure.
Rushy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
jarring like in God Emperor of Dune.
I still don't get the logic of bringing back Duncan instead of Gurney.
You're preaching to the choir here. I guess it's because Herbert couldn't self insert well enough into scarred and worn Gurney to fap to his fuck fantasy he turned the series into in later entries.

I've immediately disliked Duncan coming back. A pure throwaway character that only had his loyalty going for him and even that is pretty much immediately gone with the Ghola version.

I hope the new movies are successful. I really want to see how they spin Baron Harkonnen being a faggot sex pest. One can ignore that in Dune but that'll get very difficult with Dune Messiah. Those who know know.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:09 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:12 am
I've immediately disliked Duncan coming back. A pure throwaway character that only had his loyalty going for him and even that is pretty much immediately gone with the Ghola version.
The idea was vaguely interesting in Dune Messiah, since subverting Duncan's loyalty was the whole point there. It worked, because he wasn't the main character and because we as the audience never got to know him well enough to be able to say for certain that he will ultimately be a good guy.

It all went wrong when Herbert decided to turn his resurrection into a running gag and make him the protagonist. Mind you, even if he had used Gurney, there would probably be some criticisms about how random characters are brought back as a matter of convenience.

So perhaps the smartest choice would've been to either have Siona as a protagonist and risk alienating the readers further, or to bring back Paul as a non-messiah version of himself.

Kugelfisch wrote:
I hope the new movies are successful. I really want to see how they spin Baron Harkonnen being a faggot sex pest. One can ignore that in Dune but that'll get very difficult with Dune Messiah. Those who know know.
I assume you mean Children of Dune, since that's where the possession storyline takes place.
The movie will likely skip over the "Alia/Duncan/random Fremen toady" subplot. Having Duncan recognise her mental breakdown doesn't really require it.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:40 am

I always get the books messed up a bit since I've read them back to back. But you know what I'm talking about.

I know they will completely ignore Baron Linkara enjoying getting dicked down in a female body. I'm just saying they shouldn't and I'd love to see the leftards that read the books uncomfortably try to ignore it as hard as they can.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
I guess it's because Herbert couldn't self insert well enough into scarred and worn Gurney to fap to his fuck fantasy he turned the series into in later entries.
That was the point when I pulled out (heh) of Dune.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Overall, I really enjoyed it! I liked that the Foundation wasn't just the good guys destined to win.
Yep, that Asimov is some good shit. Asimov wrote a lot of stories, but many of them have a pulp adventure aspect they can't quite shake. I think Foundation and I, Robot are his two series that best surpass the "science fiction as future western" atmosphere. Asimov's stories are rather notoriously pro-science, to the point of fetishization. Foundation provides context and counterpoint to the typical Asimovian worldview. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:20 am

I don't mind golden age pulpy stuff. I've been a big fan of Perry Rhodan penny novels and that's fairly old-school hard Sci-fi. Not quite the dashing space hero saves the busty damsel kinda stuff but still fairly cliché.

I am not the biggest fan of borderline magic stuff like the second Foundation's specialty but I also don't mind it if it makes for a good story. Just like I don't mind FTL travel. It's often a necessary thing, despite being objectively unscientific bullshit. Spinning a good yarn comes first.

What bothers me instead is when potential is wasted and it turns into a dirty old man's smut fantasy or sets up stuff only to never be resolved like Dune did eventually.
Wanted to know more about Ixians or get more politics? Too bad, here's fuck witches and butch dikes cumming in their pants watching Duncan climb a wall.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!