Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 01, 2022 1:02 pm

There can never be a non-woke Cthulhu adaptation again. Adapting and/or liking [thing] is tantamount to standing 100% behind any problematic ideology ever shown by [thing] or the creator of [thing]. And since Lovecraft was the most evil racist who has ever racisted, anyone making a Cthulhu adaptation in Current Year has to constantly prove his innocence by condemning Lovecraft with every breath, as well as adjusting both the mythos and the story to showcase their undying support and acceptance for pocs, bipocs and even tripocs.

I guess one of the the more true-and-honest adaptations was Sea Salt, though that kinda bashed Catholics instead and fell victim to the classic blunder of making a console-friendly RTS.
I guess that only leaves us with Cultist Simulator, which wisely made up its own mythos.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 01, 2022 8:28 pm

They just can't let inbred fishmen just be fishmen. Always gotta put some ultra hamfisted allegory in there that never works to show they went to film school without any talent and left with debt and a head full of bad ideas.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 pm

They aren't just fishmen, though. Lovecraft wrote that story after he learned that he was part Welsh

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 01, 2022 9:22 pm

Ha ha, that's great! How can anyone dislike that absolute madman? :lol:
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:02 pm
There can never be a non-woke Cthulhu adaptation again.
I guess that only leaves us with Cultist Simulator, which wisely made up its own mythos.
Granted that i've only played the first part of it because it was ultra-bugged when it came out, but this one also isn't particularly woke and/or bad:

The only traces of woke i remember were:
-A npc called "Coalie Willy" or something like that, who is an actor with blackface who went insane after the apocalypse (it's not clear if the city the game is set in was transported into a Lucio Fulci-like beyond, or if it's the last bastion of humanity), and the hobo who became his handler just tells you once that he never found his shows funny.
-An actress who tells you once how hard it is to fit in the world of men, but she doesn't go on and on about it like those stupid cunts of Pathfinder: CuckTrainer and, considering the time period, what she says makes sense.

Lovecraft himself is in the game but not called by name, and he is treated with respect; he is a dimension travelling writer that the protag meets in his/her dreams, and he recites passages from The Silver Key (unless in the end he is the final boss, who knows).

The only minorities i remember in the game were a black guy who plays jazz in the starting bar, a Raoul Julia as Gomez lookalike you can hire as a bodyguard (and i believe also as a prostitute, but i haven't tried it) and a group of native Americans who became completely tribal and feral and will try to kill the protagonist no matter what.
There were many classes and portraits to choose from, but you could only be white in the game, the companions were a zombie soldier, an antediluvian warlock and Lovecraft's wife who is looking for her missing husband (you can only pick two of them, so guess which one i discarded).

The story and atmosphere were bleak and hopeless, but my favorite part was the Italian bar owner who constantly calls you cornuto, explaining to you in detail what it means.
Last edited by Complicity on Wed May 04, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 01, 2022 9:51 pm

Based.
Complicity wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 pm
-An actress who tells you once how hard it is to fit in the world of men, but she doesn't go on and on about it like those stupid cunts of Pathfinder: CuckTrainer and, considering the time period, what she says makes sense.
That's a weird thing to be hung up about considering how incredibly rare sexism is in Pathfinder's Golarion, or really any D&D setting (outside of bad guy races like the Drow and nations that appropriate historical cultures a little bit too closely).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

ebin namefag

Post by ebin namefag » Mon May 02, 2022 1:51 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:28 pm
They just can't let inbred fishmen just be fishmen. Always gotta put some ultra hamfisted allegory in there that never works to show they went to film school without any talent and left with debt and a head full of bad ideas.
I'm always disappointed in people who can't form bad ideas naturally.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue May 03, 2022 3:43 am

Sea Salt is ok. It's not amazing or anything. Kind of feels like a phone game with how simply it controls. But I don't recall any wokeshit in the game. There was barely any dialogue and you play as a nebulous, omnipotent mind. So the story is rather loose. You're pissed off with various people for various reasons, so you summon hordes of creatures to murder them. The game has a nice "knocking over someone else's sandcastle with your mighty foot" feel to it.

Another point in favor of Sea Salt is how undefined the visuals can be. In most games, muddy visuals are a problem. But Lovecraft's horror works best when the terrifying beasts are not completely explained or understood. The pixel work in Sea Salt leaves a fair amount of ambiguity as to what these creatures would look like.

And when the whole thing is in motion, you see hordes of undulating, shivering pixels attacking each other in showers of blood, gore and viscera.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue May 03, 2022 5:23 am

Deep Ones looks adorable in pixel form.
And "the various people" in this case is the Not-Pope who refused to be a good little sacrifice.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue May 03, 2022 12:18 pm

Yeah, fuck that guy in particular! My omnipotent, insanity-causing godhood requires pope sacrifices.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome