Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:38 pm

Been reading some Lovecraft recently. Funny how the guy wrote a lot of stories that didn't actually have mythos shit in them (though I can already hear the autists shouting "ACTUAL LEE...")

The Shunned House had an interesting take on a "vampire", but you'd think digging up the weird spot on the floor that's the source of all evil in the house should've had higher priority than "Let's wait for that thing to wake up".

The Vault was effectively a Tales from the Crypt story - and that's a good thing.

Cool Air is a bit like a shorter and less ridiculous variant of Reanimator, even if you could see the twist from a mile away.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:24 pm

Funny, I was just thinking about re-reading some Lovecraft myself, and aside from Cool Air, I'm not sure I remember reading the stories you mentioned

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:09 am

ACTUAL E: Most of the coherent and interconnected mythos was brought forth by his publisher and Fanboi #1 August Derleth. Hewlett Packard Lovecraft himself saw the Great Old Ones as more of a stylistic tool for his cosmic horror instead of a fleshed-out pantheon.
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:21 am

Lovecraft's work is great, but his post-death fanbase is the worst. All the cthulhu mythos shit produced after his death is turbo-fucking cancer.

My favorite Lovecraft story is Rats in the Walls, which features a cat called Nigger-man and no cthulhu mythos whatsoever. Based and H.P.illed
SpoilerShow
Call of Cthulhu, Shadow over Innsmouth, Mountains of Madness, the Picture in the House, Dagon and Whisperer in Darkness are my other favorites. I especially like the structure of The Whisperer in Darkness.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:45 am

Fandoms ruin everything.
rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:21 am
My favorite Lovecraft story is Rats in the Walls, which features a cat called Nigger-man and no cthulhu mythos whatsoever. Based and H.P.illed
Actually, the adventures of Man-of-Color and his human mention Nyarlathotep, except the description makes him sound more like Azathoth.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Newhalf

Post by Newhalf » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Wasn't it Derleth that also wanted to bring a whole good and evil dynamic to the whole thing, as he was religious?
That's something that Lovecraft never wanted and his stories are more effective because of it.
The good cosmic horror stuff I feel doesn't really comment whether or not there is a divine order and plan, but makes it clear that even if there is, humanity is certainly not part of it whatsoever.
It's a trap!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:24 pm

It's too strange to fit into a conception of good or evil. Lovecraft's stories work on an internal logic that true comprehension of what is out there will drive a man insane. You can't judge the morality of a creature that makes you crazy once you know what it is. It is beyond human comprehension. As far from us as we are from ants.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:53 am

Its the tranny faggots that think Lovecraft equals Cthulhu all day. He's written lots of stories that don't even include a mention of the old ones. Plenty of his best stories don't.

I especially like his stories that involve dreams. He gets real trippy with those.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:50 pm

Imagine the Chronicles of Narnia, except with ghouls, gugs, and night-gaunts.
-Yours Truly

ebin namefag

Post by ebin namefag » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:08 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:50 pm
Imagine the Chronicles of Narnia, except with ghouls, gugs, and night-gaunts.
Did Lovecraft ever write about night-gunts?
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.