Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Books

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 am

I listened to the audio book of The Dictionary Wars and learned that Noah Webster wanted to change the spelling of women to "wimmen."

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 am

Sadly, he wouldn't be the last to advocate for retarded spelling of the word.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:14 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 am
I listened to the audio book of The Dictionary Wars and learned that Noah Webster wanted to change the spelling of women to "wimmen."
That idea got dropped because it was still too masculine, I assume.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 pm

Foundation
Not a super long book and due to its structure it reads more like three short stories.
That's something Hyperion likely took from it, it itself being characters telling their story as to what led them to the pilgrimage, effectively making it a series of connected short stories.

Foundation is a bit like that, but with a different premise, spanning over 150 years instead.
I really enjoyed it and will proceed with the second book, since it wasn't all that long.

No idea where to go from there. My list is pretty long right now and I don't want to do what I did with Dune and read a large series in a row and get burned out.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:37 am

I liked Foundation a lot. Foundation was one of the books I read as a kid. My dad had a big collection of science fiction books. I was a bookish kid and I spent a lot of time reading weird shit written by Heinlein, Asimov and others.

Did you know Asimov and his wife wrote a series of young adult adventure stories about a boy and his robot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norby

If you want something small and fun to read, you might try these. I don't know how they've held up for an adult reader, but I loved them as a kid. They're pulp fiction, space opera stuff. I assume you already read I, Robot.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 am

I found the whole Foundation Trilogy to be a lot more light-hearted than times than I anticipated. Then again I've never read anything by Asimov before so I didn't really know what to expect.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:37 am

His stuff is always like that. The scientists are bold and heroic inventor-explorers who stand against the tyranny of politicians. Or Hercule Poirot-like detectives piecing together murder mysteries involving robots. Asimov is high-class pulp in the best possible way.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:05 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:37 am
I assume you already read I, Robot.
Nope, but it's on the list.
After the Foundation Trilogy I'll go for something by another author. As I said, I want to keep up a bit more of a variation.

I have a tendency to binge stuff. I did that with Sherlock Holmes, Lovecraft and Dune. That doesn't serve me well and burns me out so I always end up taking a break from reading altogether.
This time around I want to do the opposite and mix it up much more.
I'll keep a focus on Sci-fi, though. Maybe with some detective stuff or the occasional horror book thrown in.

As for Science Fiction, I want to switch between authors and newer and older stuff. I initially only planned on reading the first Foundation book but as they are relatively short, skip forward in time and thus change the setting, I'll read the trilogy for now.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 am

Did you read Starship Troopers? How about John Steakely's Armor? They're the two absolute best power suit science fiction stories in existence. Nothing else even comes close. I have a big thing about power suits and bio armor because they're COOL AS FUCK.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:14 am

Of course have I read Starship Troopers.
Armour sounds a bit trashy. I'll put it on the list regardless for when I'm in the mood for action schlock.
I think I'll read The Book of the New Sun after Foundation. Maybe. No idea yet.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!