Non-cape tv show

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Non-cape tv show

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:09 pm

They could've made a lot of "Amazon originals" with that 1 billion. At least then they would have a more diverse pool of potential new subscriptions.
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:51 pm
I have no idea why any streaming service would spend a billiion dollars on any new series. Unless you just really think that the theatrical experience is over (and I don't think it is).
I'd say the potential box office money is too enticing for studios.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:11 pm

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:16 pm
I only watched it once, but I like all of "Breaking Bad". I don't recall or a season or even an episode that I didn't like.
Season 1 is goddamn thanksgiving chores to get through. I get that you have to build the world and characters but jesus.

Season 4 is really slow too. It's still better than Season 1 (I'm convinced all seasons of BCS are better than BB Season 1 at this point), but I was lead to believe it was breakneak speed. And honestly Brock being poisoned subplot just kind of comes out of nowhere. The way it was spoilered to me through hearsay, I thought it was a season long "whodunnit."
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:41 pm

McGinnis wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:22 pm
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:16 pm
There's still a chance for streaming to be cool. I'll always dislike how it helped kill the arthouse, but I'm old.
I think arthouse was dead way before streaming
It was.

Arthouse, at least by my understanding of it, was largely spread via old media and physical interaction. You had Cahiers du Cinema, other print media publications and various strings of theaters in the US, UK and Europe who spread awareness of foreign or underground films. Kung fu movies, blaxpoitation and japanese film were all products of specific theater culture in the west.

It really feels to me like arthouse died with the wide adoption of the internet, and then only later did streaming come in. Even before streaming, online piracy was rampant and legacy media/boomer physical theaters were dying off. People weren't buying magazines to talk about movies anymore and the local theater was no longer their window into other cultures.

The market for arthouse films has always been limited compared to mainstream films. Theaters started dying before streaming came along and those were the mainstream theaters. So if the mainstream theaters struggled to show profit, one can assume (I think?) that arthouse films struggled more.

Even today, most foreign films are unknown and there's little audience for them. Only a few foreign films have really become super-mega mainstream hits. Everyone knows Kurosawa and maybe even have seen one of his movies (probably Seven Samurai or Yojimbo,) but the hundreds of other well-regarded Japanese films are still largely disregarded. The same can be said of Korean films, Chinese films, Taiwanese films etc. I can't remember the last time I heard a French film mentioned. :lol: But the newest garbage capeshit always gets shilled everywhere, even by media channels which are nominally supposed to be about film "appreciation."

Cue copypasta from Transmetropolitan about how globalism has ruined culture.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:18 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:41 pm
But the newest garbage capeshit always gets shilled everywhere, even by media channels which are nominally supposed to be about film "appreciation.
Everyone's really working overtime to "explain" their fine taste in capeshit.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:07 pm

The death of the arthouse is complicated and, yes, it's due to more than streaming, but streaming certainly hasn't helped.

I think the demise of the small neighborhood movie theater is one part of it. Dallas had two arthouses up until about 20 years ago. Both were small places. One closed and got demolished, the other now shows the latest Hollywood hits. They got replaced by two large "arthouses", one of which has eight screens, at least half of which are typically devoted to mainstream stuff. Sometimes the only difference between these "arthouses" and the AMC is that the arthouse has hummus and imported chocolate bars at the concession stand.

The arthouse culture that I grew up with in the 90s died awhile back.

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:56 am

I've become obsessed with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the miniseries with Alec Guinness. Everything about it is just so perfect. The writing, the performances, the music, the atmosphere. It really is, they just don't make television like this any more

Here, if you're a non-bong (which is most of you) you can watch the butchered American version on YouTube. Even the butchered version is worth a watch

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:16 pm

What did they butcher? Did the replace all the dialects with that fake British accent that Burgers love so much?
-Yours Truly

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Basically when it aired on the BBC it was seven episodes of about 45 minutes. When PBS aired it in America they re-edited it so it was six episodes of about 50-60 minutes. In theory there shouldn't be anything missing, but when I watched it on YouTube I noticed they trimmed some scenes down and they re-ordered some others.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 am

Lel The Last of Troons The TV Show starring Pedo Pascal and a kid with Down syndrome is out.
I love how most of the reactionaries that i follow were gushing over the first two episode (OMG this is like muh first beloved vidya!), then the third one came out and their smiling faces were invested by a raging torrent of old faggot's ass:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am

>(Western) live-action adaptation of a video game disappoints

I'd say the only thing even halfway surprising is that they can't even adapt walking simulators without fucking it up. Because I guess even the first Golf With Us is so old know that it is no longer considered woke enough.
-Yours Truly