Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:53 am

I forgot that part one of that Crisis on Infinite Earths animated adaptation came out last month. Watching a torrent now. This is fucking tedious.

I never read the original comic, but I doubt 50% of the characters were black in the original. The animation is this awful, thick-lined cel-shaded CGI. Some of the voice acting is atrocious and I can only assume it's due to the mandated race-based voice casting.

DC was saying that this could be their final animated movie, and I'm A-OK with that if this is what future projects would be like.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:10 am

>CGI
I see they took all the wrong lessons from those RWBY crossover OVAs.
What is is with modern capeshit cartoons all being CGI pretending to be 2D?
Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:53 am
I never read the original comic, but I doubt 50% of the characters were black in the original.
The original storyline was from 1985. This was years before Steel, and though it was during a period when John Stewart was the primary Green Lantern, I don't really recall him in particular.
The only high-profile CoC (Capeshitter of Color) I can recall is Cyborg. Maybe Black Lightning if he was lucky to be invited.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:16 am

I don't know much about capeshit, but I'm pretty sure Iris and Wally West are supposed to be white. They are black here. Wonder Woman VA does a copy of the annoying Gal Gadot accent. There's some Japanese chick whose Japanese-American VA does the worst Japanese accent I've ever heard.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:24 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:16 am
Iris and Wally West are supposed to be white
That's 'cause they are. Wally looks so much like Barry as Flash they eventually had to give him a slightly different costume so you could tell them apart.
But most importantly both Iris and Wally are ginger. They're not even leaving them alone in animated form :lol:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:17 pm

No black person has ever been named Wally.

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:45 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:53 am
I forgot that part one of that Crisis on Infinite Earths animated adaptation came out last month. Watching a torrent now. This is fucking tedious.

I never read the original comic, but I doubt 50% of the characters were black in the original. The animation is this awful, thick-lined cel-shaded CGI. Some of the voice acting is atrocious and I can only assume it's due to the mandated race-based voice casting.

DC was saying that this could be their final animated movie, and I'm A-OK with that if this is what future projects would be like.
I will talk about everything I know about the 3 part movie of Crisis on Infinite Earths that everyone here has talked about starting with this.

The animation style is the same as was used with Archer from FX. It made sense then since they drew over the VAs to do the style. I doubt the DC movies are the same. The style is part of the Alternate Universe known as the DC tomorrowverse. It started a few years ago with the 2020 movie Superman: Man of Tomorrow and the previous movie before there with Supergirl being sent to the Legion of Superheroes.

From what I have saw of the movie, it has nothing to do with the 1985 comics it's based off of. For example, from what I can tell on the tomorrowverse, Batman never had a Robin and except for Superman, no one else knew Bruce Wayne was Batman.

As Voice said, Steel didn't exist yet with John Stewart being the main Green Lantern. I read those comics years ago since my oldest brother was a comic book collector as a teenager so I may be missing details. I believe of the 4 blacks he mentioned, Cyborg and I think Black Lightning was the most important of them being one of the first heroes summoned to stop the threat, the Anti-Monitor. Guy Gardner was the one summoned in place of John.

Now regarding why the Wests are black, they have been shoving that down everyone's face since they started the New 52. They have made them black from comics, cartoons, TV shows and movies. I think the Young Justice cartoon was the only time they didn't do that. They stopped it in the comics during Rebirth because everyone was rightfully pissed that they did that. Fun trivia form the COIE comics. Wally had actually retired from capeshit prior to it due to some degenerative disease. Came back for this, somehow got cured from the disease, and took over the Flash mantle after Barry died in this series. Interesting thing is that they nerfed him because the disease being cured didn't fix up the damage so Wally was slower and has limits to his power compared to Wally.

I am guessing the Japanese chick you are talking about Dr. Light. I thought at first you were talking about Katana but that didn't make sense since her main thing is never talking unless they fucked up.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:01 am

The New 52 made him black? That'll teach the fans for whining that the reboot initially retconned him out of existence.
And then they gave us Heroes in Crisis where Wally accidentally kills a bunch of villains and tries to blame it on Harley :lol:
Dehbashi wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:45 am
From what I have saw of the movie, it has nothing to do with the 1985 comics it's based off of.
My enthusiasm for this being the actual last work of Kevin Conroy to be released is waning.
I am guessing the Japanese chick you are talking about Dr. Light. I thought at first you were talking about Katana but that didn't make sense since her main thing is never talking unless they fucked up.
Sounds likely. I can't think of any other Japanese DC character that actually talks.

Also fun fact: They had a male villain Dr. Light who spent most of his career has a comedic jobber for the Teen Titans and other capeshitters, before another edgy Crisis even (Identity Crisis) revealed him to be an edgelord rapist who was basically going "I'm gonna rape all yo bitches!" until the Justice League decided to mindwipe him :roll:

Now that I think of it, all Crisis events after the original kinda blew in a more or less offensive way.
I guess the one that had Autistic Superman (who is also a Doctor Manhattan clone) had a few highlights.
-Yours Truly

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:25 pm

Yeah for New 52, they retconned white Wally out to make black Wally. Rebirth made it so that white Wally was in another dimension and everyone didn't know him until Barry remembered bringing him back. Really dumb ass shit.

Regarding more about COIE movies, they have Conroy because the DCAU is going to be part of it as you can see Batman Beyond in the trailer of part 2.

Oh yeah. I remember that shit show with male Dr. Light. I remember the Ow The Edge with him. :lol: Him raping Elongated Man's wife to destroy the 60s aesthetic of that family. I love that Batman was butthurt that they mind wiped him. :lol:

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:40 pm

I don't like his movies, but I think that Zack Snyder makes a good point here, both about pushing the envelope when it comes to interpreting superheroes in movies and about how catering to fan expectations can strangle the life out of something. I just found out today that he was on Joe Rogan. I actually want to listen to that.

(Let's also just mention that Michael Keaton's Batman, who everyone loves these days, was killing motherfuckers all of the time)

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:10 am
>CGI
I see they took all the wrong lessons from those RWBY crossover OVAs.
What is is with modern capeshit cartoons all being CGI pretending to be 2D?
Same reason you'll never see a new Disney animated feature - 3D is vastly cheaper to produce.
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.