Doctor Who (The Fuck Is This Series Aimed At Anymore?)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Doctor Who (The Fuck Is This Series Aimed At Anymore?)

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm

I've personally never run into another German who knows "Doctor Who" from anything other than a single Simpsons reference.

>Top 5 TV shows in the whole world

According to what ranking, exactly? Also probably not very up-to-date anyways, since the ratings have been in free fall since the woke took over completely.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu May 19, 2022 6:54 pm

We used to get all sorts of American canned TV show garbage, but very few British ones, so barely anyone knows about Doctor Troon. Like most people know Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean, not Blackadder.

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 pm

Which is a shame because Blackadder is significantly better

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 pm

I don't think ever heard a German talk about Blackadder. Rowan Atkinson is very much just Mr Bean over here. And British shows seem to have some issues catching on in Krautland (not counting Midsomer Murders since Krauts can't get enough of crimeshit).
It doesn't help that BBC productions like Sherlock tend to get grabbed by our public broadcasting channels, aka they will air around 10 or 11 P.M. 'cause the prime time is for our stuff.
The Doctor Who revival starting with the 9th Doctor actually aired on a private channel, but it never really catched on thanks to poor marketing (I literally stumbled upon the premiere on accident) and the show getting shuffled to various time slots as no one seemed to have any idea what to do with it.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Thu May 19, 2022 11:01 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 pm
I don't think ever heard a German talk about Blackadder. Rowan Atkinson is very much just Mr Bean over here
Yeah, I say that Blackadder is better (and it is) but it doesn't surprise me that Mr Bean caught on more internationally. Blackadder's humour is very dialogue based, and may not necessarily translate into other languages. Whereas there's barely any spoken dialogue in Mr Bean, it's physical comedy and the humour is universal.

Best example of that is that Atkinson first workshopped the character at a comedy festival in Montreal, where he chose to go on with the French-speaking audience rather than the English-speaking. He wanted to see if that type of comedy would still play with an audience that didn't speak English. Which it did

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm

As much as I do like Blackadder, Mr. Bean I'd say is better. It's just so universal and timeless. From children to the elderly, it just works.

Sure, it's physical comedy, but it's not plain slapstick. I find the funniest aspect is that he's not just a manchild but also kind of a petty asshole.

Meanwhile, just about nobody outside of the UK has even heard about Dr. Who and if they did it's just because it's big in the UK. Or was, as it stands.
It's as if some dude claimed Shaft was a global success.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm
It's as if some dude claimed Shaft was a global success.
Shaft was a global success. It was one of only three profitable movies for MGM that year. Pulled them out of bankruptcy. It's probably the best known blaxploitation film of all time. You could not have picked a worse example

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am

I was talking about the TV show, which absolutely nobody outside of the USA has ever even heard of at the time.
You know, because we were talking about TV shows.

Besides, even now most people would only know it as a Samuel L. Jackson movie, if they even know that one at all. Try asking anyone under 30 about it, especially any non-burger, and see if they know what you're talking about.
Hell, I'm confident most people outside the USA over 30 won't even remember.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

McGinnis

Post by McGinnis » Sun May 29, 2022 8:29 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am
I was talking about the TV show, which absolutely nobody outside of the USA has ever even heard of at the time.
You know, because we were talking about TV shows.
You didn't specify
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am
Besides, even now most people would only know it as a Samuel L. Jackson movie, if they even know that one at all
Nobody remembers the Samuel L Jackson movie. Unlike the original that was a flop and people were only really reminded of it when they tried to do a sequel. Barely anyone even remembers that Christian Bale was in it.

The original however, was one of the biggest blaxploitation movies ever and one of the big crime films of 1971. You might as well say nobody remembers Dirty Harry, or Get Carter or The French Connection

If anything, Zoomers are more likely to remember Shaft over the other three because it's referenced so much in the Fresh Prince, which Zoomers do know

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 29, 2022 3:20 pm

Nobody in Europe knows the 70s movie, dude.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!