Is anyone here a musician???

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Is anyone here a musician???

Post by Le Redditeur » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:10 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:55 pm
If you haven't noticed coding having gotten worse for a cool 15+ years, you are functionally retarded.
B-b-but Rust, bro! Memory safe and troon friendly programming, now on the Ganoo slash Looonix kernel!

Seriously though, I can't complain too much about recent code. Despite its flaws I still really like what they did in PHP 8 and I enjoy developing developing API endpoints with Laravel. Compared with the bulk of the code I have to maintain (millions of lines of Zend Framework 1 compatible code running in PHP 5.6), it's much more enjoyable.

JavaScript development, on the other hand, get ever more insufferable as the time goes on, because of the sheer amount of new gimmick frameworks and features keep piling on it. I liked better when people like Douglas Crockford were telling us to throw away half of JS dumb garbage features and write only "the good parts". Then hipsters started shitting ever more complex garbage and the language is now unrecognizable.

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:52 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Programming peaked at Action Script 2. Action Script 3 was hippy shit!
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:57 am

Laugh it up you daft faggots. Expect progress and be the fools. They can't build anything up to 1990s standards anymore. That era of progress is gone nd dead as Elvis.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

ebin namefag

Post by ebin namefag » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:40 am

Le Redditeur wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:10 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
If you haven't noticed coding having gotten worse for a cool 15+ years, you are functionally retarded.
B-b-but Rust, bro! Memory safe and troon friendly programming, now on the Ganoo slash Looonix kernel!
Rust at least gave me oxipng. I'd say it's worth (other people's) autism if I didn't know better.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:00 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:57 am
Laugh it up you daft faggots. Expect progress and be the fools. They can't build anything up to 1990s standards anymore. That era of progress is gone nd dead as Elvis.
Because the "revolution" is over. All tech breakthroughs hit with a bang and fizzle out into everyday life. We really can no longer perfect the combustion engine or reinvent the shark.
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:10 am

It's just a shame we mostly can't even reach old manufacturing standards anymore.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am

You can't even get good optimization advice anymore since more often than not you only get a "micro-optimization is the root of all evil".
And then they wonder when stuff runs like shit.
Le Redditeur wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:10 am
JavaScript development, on the other hand, get ever more insufferable as the time goes on, because of the sheer amount of new gimmick frameworks and features keep piling on it. I liked better when people like Douglas Crockford were telling us to throw away half of JS dumb garbage features and write only "the good parts". Then hipsters started shitting ever more complex garbage and the language is now unrecognizable.
I guess JS started out fine-ish, but then it became like the universal solution to everything and they never fixed the core issues of it* - which apparently many JSfags don't want to fix since they are convinced of the superiority of their one true scripting language.
Thankfully WebAssembly is starting to become a thing, so you can use the Chad C Code instead of the Virgin JavaScript Code.

*) No type safety is I guess common for scripting languages, but for larger projects this makes it a pain to debug anything, since you can never be sure wtf a parameter will even be.
This is made all the worse by JS doing automatic casting without your consent (like turning an empty String into a 0 or vice-versa), all because JS loves to do anything in its power to not throw an exception (which naturally makes debugging even harder).
Plus you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to do anything resembling encapsulation, which is admittedly more of an object-oriented thing, but its lack turns larger projects into a bit of a mess relying on an honor system when it comes to not accessing shit you shouldn't access from your current position.
And let's not forget the cancer that is "multi-platform" software that's actually just some JavaScript abomination running in a Chromium window, which makes the whole deal way slower and resource-hungry than it needs to be.

I guess TypeScript solves most of this, but at the end of the day this still has to be turned into JS code to be useful for anything.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:00 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
*) No type safety is I guess common for scripting languages, but for larger projects this makes it a pain to debug anything, since you can never be sure wtf a parameter will even be.
This is made all the worse by JS doing automatic casting without your consent (like turning an empty String into a 0 or vice-versa), all because JS loves to do anything in its power to not throw an exception (which naturally makes debugging even harder).
It's the price JS had to pay to be "the beginner friendly browser language" during the 90s, because apparently the retards at Netscape thought that what made programming for normalfags really hard were 'ending every command with a semicolon" and "defining types for variables". Cue the absolute mess that are JS automatic semicolon insertion rules and its dumb automatic type casting rules: they made sense for someone, somewhere, sometime in the 90s, at a company that famously blundered its way into irrelevance. Not to mention that all that nonsense had to be done in about a week or so from Brendan Eich's original Schema prototype (which is mostly responsible for "the good parts" of JS).

It should have been an easy fix once ES5 finally went out of the door and Internet Explorer 6 died: just take ES5, remove some more of its legacy clutter, and add strong typing and manual semicolon insertion as an opt-in flag or something; maybe throw in promises, that's a good feature. Instead they decided to add in all the autistic garbage retards everywhere thought was cool and now we're back at square one.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:15 pm

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]