Video game music

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Video game music

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:45 pm

That's not horror. That is:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 pm

My outtakes that didn't make the cut for the main entry

I had to struggle with the song I wanted to present for Breath of Fire 2, but first It had to win over IV, which wasn't easy. I just hope Capcom remembers what a great IP they have with these games. Remake of 2, 3 & 4 pretty please. Hell, even a VC re-release of 2 that isn't modeled after the SNES version but has the QOL upgrades from the GBA port would be welcome.
SpoilerShow

The first Megaman trilogy on the NES just has a certain charme, as does the second X trilogy (we don't talk about 7 or 8 in both franchises)
SpoilerShow

Voice has given lots of good picks for the brilliance of the Secret of Mana soundtrack, which is also the reason why I couldn't decide and picked a song from Trials, where there isn't much competetion - have some more:
SpoilerShow

Even Seiken Densetsu 1 / Final Fantasy Gaiden / Adventure is also good stuff, albeit being an early GB title the instrumentation is an acquired taste:
SpoilerShow

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:28 pm

They really dropped the ball with forgetting about Breath of Fire. Now Fire Emblem Fates has taken over the market for dragonkin JRPGs.

Ceremony from Secret of Mana is my personal Lavender Town Syndrome, except it's actually spooky - all the more after you clear the last of two temple dungeons featuring this song, revisit the place and notice that the music is still playing (the first temple replaced it with some heroic ballad).
Prophecy is pretty omnipresent towards the end because its the last overworld theme, and sufficiently epic to go along with the crazy thunderous sky and the floating fortress waiting for you.
Though it's not quite as cool as the second one, the SoM version of the Imperial March:

Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:59 am

New weekend, new episode, I guess.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
Who's a good doggy, Matty, who's a good doggy? Yes, you are, Matt Uelmen, you are, have a tasty treat from your owners, the Schaefer Bros.

Let's rewind to 1993. Founded by David Brevik (as CEO), & the brothers Eric & Max Schaefer was Condor Inc., later to become famous as the Blizzard North branch of Blizzard Entertainment. My educated guess is they were all nerdy fratboys in their early 20s (Brevik's date of birth would hint at that, the Schaefers' age is not to be found with quick google-fu, but methinks it to be similar), based on 3 premises:
- their first videogames still under the Condor brand are Justice League Task Force & NFL quarteback Club both for the SNES & Genesis.
- their first PC game is a roleplaying hack & slash with corny story and lots of violence, inspired by pen&paper dungeon crawling.
- Sports, capeshit & D&D. Conclusio: QED

Now, what happens when Blizzard North gets the cancer/cancel treatment from its parent company? Lapdog Uelmen (also, what's with the names, Ülmen, Schäfer, totally non-suspicious masterrace families, sadly ASS isn't around to confirm if freemason lodges are involved) follows Max & Erich all the way, from Flagship Studios and the ill-fated Hellgate: London, to Runic and lastly to Echtra Games (for the whole Torchlight trilogy).

Bonus lore: Guess what my main & name in the game was :3
Last edited by wulfenlord on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:42 am

Cumbucket, the Assassin?

Also "Matt" Uelmen is a bit of a prophetic name, considering he become a bit nutty thanks to social media.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:49 pm

wulfenlord wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:59 am
Bonus lore: Guess what my main & name in the game was :3
Druid, Wulfenlord?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:49 pm
Druid, Wulfenlord?
Ding ding ding, we have a winrar! Cumbucket was close, but that was my Amazon :D

SpoilerShow

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:33 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:42 am
Also "Matt" Uelmen is a bit of a prophetic name, considering he become a bit nutty thanks to social media.
Biggest understatement of the century.

And keep in mind that DeadBitchCripple is also a libtard.

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:41 am

Some small episodes where I can't provide much lore because in the first instance I never played it, and in the second case there is little to no information.

Space Harrier
First we have Hiroshi Kawaguchi AKA Master Hiro, one of the oldest remaining SEGA Sound Team members, if not of SEGA itself, working on the original OutRun + After Burner arcades and this revolutionary over-the-shoulder shmup. Though he lately stayed in the background, taking up the mantle of a mentor for younger inhouse-composers, he has no plans of retiring. Last collaborations he is credited with include the latest FOTN & House of the Dead titles from 2018.
I simply love the synth from the Bonus stage, moreso than the title theme.

Droiyan AKA Ikarus: Sanctuary of the Gods
The only thing known about the composer for this Not-Diablo with Not-Fallout tactical battle system is that he/she/group is allegedly called Dino Sound Sorisaem. I never owned the full version, instead I played the shit out of the first battle from an old demo disc - or rather, started the battle, then listened to the battle theme on repeat (skip to 9:00, the soundtrack is so obscure there are no seperate songs uploaded).
A while back I tried to scout intel on the developer KRGsoft, but found only Korean MORPGs, so that went nowhere.

SpoilerShow
The intro theme is also bretti gud, but I wanted to focus on my favorite track. Also the intro cinematic is pure 90s CGI trash :3

SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:31 am

Imagine if that game had an animu opening. Things might've actually happened in it.
-Yours Truly