Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
rabidtictac

Re: Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:42 am

The first half or so of the novel (first 70 chapters) has most of the good bits. As with Robin Hood, the best parts of the novel are individual episodes. Some of the best of these are:

-Gao Chiu plays soccer and becomes a Senator :lol: (this is at the very beginning and establishes the villain)
-Chao Gai and six others steal the birthday gifts (really sets the tone with a clever heist story and establishes characters)
-Yang Zhi kills Niu Er over a sword
-Song Jiang murders his lover in a fit of rage
-Lin Chong burns down the fodder depot (Lin Chong's whole story in general)
-Wu Song and the Delightful Forest
-Wu Song kills a tiger with his bare hands
-Elder Brother Wu is Poisoned by his Wife
-Lu Junyi is recruited (this story was made into a movie by Chang Cheh called "The Water Margin)
-Yang Xiong and Shi Xiu at the Butcher Shop

If you find the bits with Lu Zishen a bit boring (they go on a long time,) I'd recommend skipping ahead. He's a very minor character despite how much screen time he gets at the start. Shi Jin is another with almost no plot relevance.

A consistent theme you see throughout the novel is that the heroes are willing to endure any punishment to atone for their mistakes, but the society is so cruel and corrupt that it will not allow them to live. Over and over, virtuous heroes are made prisoners and then inevitably scheduled to be assassinated in some out-of-the-way place. I think that message rings true even today. In a truly corrupt society, a virtuous person is never left alone. Lin Chong gets absolutely gangfucked for no reason over and over until he finally hulks out in frustration.

The stories I've listed are based on what I remember. They're the most important tales in the novel imo. Song Jiang, Chao Gai and Wu Song are primary characters and it's worth it to read their stories. The Yang Xiong story is similar to other stories in the novel about wives who cheat on their husbands, but it and the Elder Brother Wu story underline both the savagery and nobility of the Water Margin. These stories also have some of the most evil characters, who receive a just reward for their behavior.

The adultery stories are probably my favorite.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Jiangshi

Post by Jiangshi » Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 am

My advise would also be reading the 70 chapter Jīn Shèngtàn version if you're lazy and don't want to spend time reading.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 26, 2021 10:03 am

Is there like a fanservice manga adaptation of this? Like how Ikki Tousen perfectly covered the Three Kingdoms?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Jiangshi

Post by Jiangshi » Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm

There must be one because the japanese ruin everything and if i search for my favorite character from the novel on google i get this garbage:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Excellent husbando choice, I must say.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:03 am
Is there like a fanservice manga adaptation of this? Like how Ikki Tousen perfectly covered the Three Kingdoms?
Probably. I know there was a famous manga by Mitsuteru Yokoyama. There are only couple of anime, and they're only very loose adaptations. Search for "Suikoden".
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 26, 2021 4:47 pm

I already have a waifu for that.
SpoilerShow

Suikoden V best Suikoden. Fite me IRL.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon May 31, 2021 3:30 am

Jiangshi wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 am
My advise would also be reading the 70 chapter Jīn Shèngtàn version if you're lazy and don't want to spend time reading.
The most common english translations of the Water Margin use the short version, so it's not hard to end up with that one. I've read multiple translations of the first 70 chapters and I'm about 90% through the chapters from the longer edition.

So far, I can say that if what you are after with Water Margin is stories about heroic bandits, you can rest easy with the short version. Most of the heroic banditry happens in the first 70 chapters and the back half is devoted to military engagements and larger-scale conflicts between the bandits and Song armies.

Unrelated but I found a fun plebbit meme for three kingdoms:

RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 am

He also liked murdering enemy armies with fireworks and supposedly invented the rapid-fire crossbow.
That part where he literally trolls Zhu You to death is easily one of the funniest things I've read in historical novel. Plus it is part of another funny story arc:

Wu: "Hey, remember those provinces we lent you during our fight against Wei? Because you were just a bunch of landless refugees at that time? It's time to give them back."
Guan Yu: "How about 'No'?"
-Yours Truly