What are you listening to?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Lindsay's Liver

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:19 am

Guest wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 am
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:59 am
I'm in an Elvis phase right now
Reliving your twenties, huh?
They were great times! Elvis, malt shops, whites-only drinking fountains! You kids will never understand.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Come to think about it: Why hasn't Elvis the Cultural Appropriator been cancelled yet?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:20 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:05 pm
Come to think about it: Why hasn't Elvis the Cultural Appropriator been cancelled yet?
It's been tried

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Young generations don't care enough about Elvis to have strong feelings about him either way, but when he does come up in conversation, depending on the group, there's always some blowhard who wants to dismiss him because he "stole black music". They might even quote the line from "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy, who young people also don't care about anymore, that calls Elvis a "straight-out racist".

The truth, meanwhile, is complicated. Elvis, and all early white rockers, were definitely influenced by black music, but they were also influenced by country music. And Elvis was from an era where everybody stole from everybody.

And as much as I love Chuck Berry, who was in his 30s when he started having hits, and Little Richard, who was gay, they just weren't going to appeal to the screaming girl element like Elvis did.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm

But, I like Fight the Power....
....I speak for all young people.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

That's great. 80s, early 90s Public Enemy was amazing. I never see young people talk about them anymore, but maybe I just don't notice because I'm old.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Public Enemy sort of recanted their Elvis hatred. Situation is, like you say, somewhat complicated. Because, yeah, Elvis did 'steal' a lot from black musicians but he was also first to credit black musicians with being rock and roll pioneers, admitted that he didn't sing better than a lot of black singers and Elvis did a lot to increase the visibility and popularity of that kind of music to the point that a lot of black singers were copying Elvis

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:50 pm

Rockers like Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry owe a lot to artists like Elvis for opening the doors to black blues/rock musicians to mainstream America. Music and cuisine have always been the one thing where cultures intertwine and should never be dictated to certain groups of people.
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Don't worry. It's just a matter of time before tumblrinas tell us it's problematic to cook foreign food.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:50 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 pm
Don't worry. It's just a matter of time before tumblrinas tell us it's problematic to cook foreign food.
They've been doing that for at least five years now.