Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Lindsay's Liver

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Fri May 26, 2023 6:04 am

Speaking as an 80s boy, there was a lot of Indiana Jones merchandise, but it wasn't near Star Wars levels. I had an Indiana Jones action figure. It was big, about the same size as a Barbie doll. I also bought Indiana Jones comics from Marvel and a few novels of further adventures.

If you follow Comicsgate, you know Cecil. He made a funny video awhile back about how Indiana Jones is a psychopath in "The Last Crusade". I think it's quite entertaining.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 am

Star Wars was the toy franchise when I was a kid. It was all about star wars. Indy stuff barely existed as a blip on the radar. Star Wars, LEGO and then eventually poggermins were the big merch IPs. There's a reason that chinpokomon episode has the slogan "got to buy it! got to buy it!" The ad campaign was crazy for poggermins. Cards, pogs, video games, books, manga, tv show... Shit was unreal. Everywhere you went, you saw poggermins.

Star Wars was the same way. The figures were everywhere. Every store had those plastic figures. No character was too small-time or unimportant for Lucas to make a shitty toy of it. Expanded universe books started to get big when I was a kid too. One of my earliest coherent memories as a kid was receiving a copy of the 3-book han solo adventure stories anthology and blasting through it in a night or two. :lol:

But see, that's the thing. It's a nostalgic memory or whatever the fuck, but that doesn't make nu-Star Wars suddenly good. :P

Gotta give credit to Lucas for being the Merch Master, though. He didn't build his money empire from making good films. He built it by employing other people to save/make his films for him while he exploited the fuck out of them with merchandising.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Fri May 26, 2023 7:04 am

One piece of merchandising that Lucas never put out, but should have: A Blu-ray of "The Star War Holiday Special", but one that makes fun of it. Get as many people who were involved in it as they can to talk about it. Include a long documentary. Commentary tracks. Parodies.

Don't run away from the holiday special. EMBRACE IT. Document it. I think that would be fascinating. I'd buy it in a second.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 26, 2023 7:27 am

Plus it's still a better Star Wars experience than anything produced by Disney.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Fri May 26, 2023 9:22 pm

This is so bad. Who on earth is excited by this? The last time Arnold was cool, the World Trade Center twin towers still stood.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 pm

Waste those fucking millions, baby!
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Fri May 26, 2023 11:28 pm

More Nigflix goyslop, as usual. Another day, another excuse to burn money.
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 27, 2023 2:32 am

Arnold made a lot of fun movies. The key word here is "made." Past tense. Watching someone that old try to still be an action star is just sad. All these geriatrics are still dominating the film industry because there's no younger generation of good actors with name recognition who can take over for them.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 27, 2023 5:11 am

Robert De Niro should prove to anyone that actors have a shelf life that shouldn't be ignored.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:41 am

I've talked about this before, but every now and again I rewatch the Spicediver Cut of Lynch's "Dune" and there's just no limit to how much praise this dude should get for the work he did. A whole hour of footage restored, complete with special effects and music, plus re-editing.

Sure, it's still only a bastardised version of what Lynch intended, because he got fucked by the studios even during filming. But it's an actual film, not the botch take that made it into theatres.

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.