CRPGs

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: CRPGs

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:28 am

Actually, Reflex is a type of saving throw in Dicks & Dykes.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Newhalf

Post by Newhalf » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:32 am
I sure love hearing about Penetration
Relatable.

But really, this weird trend started some while ago that all characters have to be able to do everything so no one feels left out or something.
Incidentally, wasn't it pillars where they renamed strength to power or something and it also affects spell damage? So that weirdo RP fags can have their strength mage without gimping the build.

A good example is Guild Wars 2, which is utter trash.. In no small parts because they got it into their heads that they hated dedicated tanks, healers and DPS from GW1 and now every class does everything, a little.
Must be part of the commie mindset of "Everything must be equal!"

I faintly remember that people also disliked Alpha Protocol (at least I think that's what it was) because it wasn't possible to make a character that excels at absolutely everything. That's why System Shock had to be dumbed down even more for bioshock so everyone can shoot, hack, and psionics equally good and no one has to make "hard decisions" about what to put the points in. Or why in Diablo 3 you no longer allocated stat points by yourself.
I just like my min-maxing too much to enjoy this kind of babby crap. Making everything equally pathetic cuts out really powerful, specialized builds.
It's a trap!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:46 am

Newhalf wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 am
Incidentally, wasn't it pillars where they renamed strength to power or something and it also affects spell damage? So that weirdo RP fags can have their strength mage without gimping the build.
That's the best kind of mage.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:25 am

rabidtictac wrote:
It seems gayer than pathfinder so far though.
Because it is.
Did i mention that apparently all the male characters in your party will try to fug your male character during the night at some point?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:36 pm
He was asking for a cRPG that delivers the classic adventurers going dungeon crawling experience
The entire genre is as pozzed as American comics.
The only hope to find something decent is looking into obscure indie shit, like maybe this Daggerfall clone in 2D:

Unless this one is woke too, but considering it's a remaster of a 2006 game probably not.

Another likely safe bet are games made by Spiderweb Software, aka the Geneforge saga, the Avernum saga and the Avadon saga.
I've only played the Geneforge games, which were about mages who created monsters and then lost control over them, but considering all three sagas came out many years ago the chances of them being about male gaze and systemic oppression are slim.

Or just go with Lucio Fulci's The Dungeon Crawler:

There's not much plot or dialogues in it.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:40 am

Newhalf wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 am
rabidtictac wrote:
I sure love hearing about Penetration
Relatable.

But really, this weird trend started some while ago that all characters have to be able to do everything so no one feels left out or something.

I faintly remember that people also disliked Alpha Protocol (at least I think that's what it was) because it wasn't possible to make a character that excels at absolutely everything. That's why System Shock had to be dumbed down even more for bioshock so everyone can shoot, hack, and psionics equally good and no one has to make "hard decisions" about what to put the points in. Or why in Diablo 3 you no longer allocated stat points by yourself.
I just like my min-maxing too much to enjoy this kind of babby crap. Making everything equally pathetic cuts out really powerful, specialized builds.
Yeah, it fucking sucks. Strength is Might now and it's the same stat that governs how much damage your magic does and how much your heals do, too. So it's all the same shit. Every class wants to pump strength, con and dex now and every class is good in melee because every class has high strength, dex and con.

It's all the fucking same, as far as I can tell. All the casters end up doing the same shit and casting the same kinds of spells. My cleric uses the same support and damage magic as my druid. Not literally the same spells. They have different names, of course. But the same effects. Damage, status effects and healing. All caster classes have these.

One of the things I genuinely like about Baldur's Gate is you have to specialize. You really can't do it all, especially not at a lower level. There are two builds I know of (fighter/mage and fighter dual-classed to mage) that can do everything well. Every other class has serious downsides. I like that thieves innately have garbage thaco and damage no matter what. It means your bards and thieves will never be melee beasts without significant investment in gear and stats. Pure mages will never be able to deal physical damage. That's not what they do. Taking weapon proficiency skills means committing to certain weapons in BG. Not in Pillars. All weapon proficiencies do is give you an additional skill. And some of the weapon skills are shit anyway, so it doesn't matter. There's one subclass that actually penalizes you for using a weapon you haven't learned. Every other class doesn't care. Classes also don't have any weapon limitations in PoE 2. A mage can equip a two-handed sword IIRC. A rogue can hold a mace. Clerics can use bladed weapons. Non-magical classes can even, I believe, equip wands, scepters and staves.

Mages also don't learn spells from tomes. They can equip tomes to get "free" spells for as long as they have that tome equipped, but they only learn spells from leveling, like every other fucking class does. Maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy being able to buy spells at shops and teach them to my mage. It lets you customize your mage to perfectly suit your needs. I also liked how clerics and druids got all of their spells given to them at once whenever they reached the next spell level. It made sense. You're praying for spells based on what you want that day. Not in Pillars. Clerics pick spells on level up just like mages do.

Having stark differences between the classes, with defined strengths and weaknesses, also gives you more of a reason to experiment with dual and multi-classing. You can use a multi to plug the gaps in a strong but very limited class. If all of the classes are too broad then the multi just further broadens them until each class is the same bland sludge.

On the subject of gay wokeshit, I've already encountered multiple instances of men trying to flirt with my character. Beamdog added gay rapists to Baldur's Gay (((Enhanced))) Edition too.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:53 am

Plus with D&D Wizards you can have them learn spells from scrolls you found in a dungeon, which is always a plus.

A similar mindset is creeping into D&D proper though. Races no longer have fixed stat modifiers (because that's racist), and it's getting increasingly hard to find new classes or even races that don't have magic.
That 50th anniversary edition announced for 2024 is gonna be a trainwreck. At least 5e merely became woke, instead of being woke from the ground up.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:19 am

I've tried out a few crpgs. Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights and Divinity Original Suck 2.

I haven't made up my mind on Divinity or Neverwinter. So I'll just say that initial impressions of Divinity are "meh," while Neverwinter Nights was the game I actually enjoyed the most. I will continue to play NN, despite its extreme level of jank and generic feel (because it is a module maker program more than a game.)

Pillars 2 is whatever. I have no strong feelings one way or another, beyond what I said before.

Pillars 1... I played up to around chapter 3, and I'm doing some of the DLC now. I kind of hate it. I like a few of the characters and some of the writing. Eder is a cool dude and some of the other companions are okay. But the gameplay... Bruh.
SpoilerShow
Encounter design is beyond fucked. Every fight is the exact same shit:

-walk into room
-obvious arena
-one enemy comes into view (autopause)
-you attack the one enemy
-a dozen enemies come from offscreen to dogpile around your party
-enemy casters instant-cast spam spells, regardless of the normal casting time for you
-your party starts spazzing out because they can't path properly thanks to the pile of bodies
-party dances in place while enemy AI paths perfectly and gets a shitload of free hits

Every fight is like this. And these aren't trash mobs or zerg rushes. I'm talking about enemies that have every bit as much tankiness as your front-liners. The game will spam an absolute army of barbarian or fighter equivalent enemies at you, while priests spam heals from the back. If you think you can spike damage down the back liners, forget it. I have tried every possible way to do that. The enemy has so many more troops than you do (2-3 times your number) that they can wallpaper every party member of yours in bodies to prevent them from moving. If you try to cast a spell, the entire enemy party will instant cast interruption skills at that caster. It has happened to me numerous times.

I guess, from a certain point of view, this could be "good" encounter design. Because it's fucking annoying and difficult, right? Except it isn't really. The way you "defeat" this meme-ass bullshit is by tanking until the enemy run out of spells and you can finally start killing them. It's stupid. And so many encounters are the same. Every boss has a ton of adds for no reason, even if the boss would be perfectly fine and difficult enough as a single enemy. Nope, gotta have adds. Difficulty level doesn't change anything about the core design, just brings in more fodder enemies. Some enemies, like mercenary barbarians, are nearly impossible to take down. Yet the game will throw these guys at you in packs. When I think of a difficult, but fun challenge in a CRPG, I'm usually picturing some kind of boss monster that's powerful. Or a fight against another adventuring party. Not a fight against 20 tanks who instantly flank all my party because we're so outnumbered.
It was downright refreshing to boot up Neverwinter and go back to fighting 1-4 enemies at a time, with a party of 1-3 allies.
RAPEMAN wrote:

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:33 am

NWN 1 feels like a beta test for NWN 2, the game is really vacant and you're forced into picking a more solo friendly class.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:15 am

mad bum wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:33 am
NWN 1 feels like a beta test for NWN 2, the game is really vacant and you're forced into picking a more solo friendly class.
Which probably means Cleric or Druid since this is 3.0 where CoDzilla reigned supreme. Probably also Wizard if you can survive the early parts.

And I assume they focused a bit too much on the multiplayer aspect with NWN 1, which makes it one of the few D&D video games where you don't actually get to control a full party by yourself.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am

mad bum wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:33 am
I don't disagree, but the thing is, you can multi-class starting at level 2 and you can have 3 different classes at the same time. Take Human and you don't even incur the xp penalty, unless I looked that up wrong. But you won't incur a penalty regardless if you level them evenly.

I believe Hordes allows you to have two companions. But you can have a druid animal summon and a companion in the base game of Neverwinter Nights. Or any other summon from a class that can summon. I don't know what the limit is on summoned creatures, but it's pretty easy to have a party of 3.

If you think about all the multis, even just limiting yourself to solo-friendly classes, you have a fair amount of variety. Take anything with Rogue and you won't need a thief companion. Take anything with a divine caster and you won't need healing, etc. You can dip into Fighter just for the perks. I won't deny the game feels like a beta for concepts that would be used in later Bioware games. Particularly KotoR. But it's still pretty fun so far. More so than Pillars of Boredom.

My biggest criticism of Neverwinter, based on what I've played, is the map design. Dungeons feel and look extremely samey, and so do the outdoor maps. The modular design is neat but ultimately aged poorly.
RAPEMAN wrote: