Dynasty Warriors games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Dynasty Warriors games

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:17 pm

Isn't the strategy a bit like MOBA games?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 pm

I guess it's a bit similar-ish, but it's a lot more organic due to the map design. Plus there's a lot of smokes and mirrors trickery (grunts are usually window dressing).
MOBAs also like having the players grind during a mission until they become powerful enough to "beat" it. In Warriors titles you get weapon drops and stat upgrades, but you generally get those while fullfilling the objectives, and especially weapons and accessoires can only be of use after the mission.

But yeah, some less biased game journo might call it MOBA-like.
A more actual MOBA-like would be something like Guilty Gear 2 Overture, which is a bit of a letdown since I was expecting an actual Guilty Warriors.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 am
Dynasty Warriors 5 (the pinnacle of the old series imo, along with warriors orochi 1)
Definitely. DW4 was overall pretty meh for removing weapon drops and adding a not particularly amazing duel system. I also think that one had generic campaigns instead of more or less different campaigns for every character.
DW5 on the other hand was basically an improved DW3. Truly the best the series has to offer on the PS2.
Dynasty Warriors 8 (the best of the "new" mainline warriors games. It has both story and gameplay, with plenty of unlockables and extras)
If you only want to get one DW entry, get 8. The story mode is fantastic, and easily the most complete retelling of the novel.
Pirate Warriors 3 (if you like Wan Piss, this game is very good. Even if you don't like Single Urine, it's still fun.)
This one's also extremely complete, covering all story arcs up to the then current one (though they had to mostly make up their own ending for it). Gameplay's also pretty fun, and the other main mode besides the story one is long af.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:04 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 pm
If you only want to get one DW entry, get 8. The story mode is fantastic, and easily the most complete retelling of the novel.
Yes.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 pm

Plus it has some bitch-ass remixes of klessik DW tunes.

Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 01, 2022 12:10 am

mad bum wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:28 am
All I want is a romance of the three kingdoms style game with dynasty warriors battles. And no empires doesn't count.
The best you can get is three kingdoms style game with fire emblem battles. Which exists and is called Romance of the Three Kingdoms X.

I agree with Voice singing the praises of DW8 though. If you want a modern (hd era) dynasty warriors game, get that one. If you want the best overall DW game, I still think it's DW5.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sun May 01, 2022 12:35 am

Does anyone know about this one?

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 01, 2022 12:53 pm

I think I might've heard about that one. I think its main claim to fame was being able to handle over 50k enemies on-screen, which probably meant cutting corners somewhere else.

And man, for a second I confused the title for Devil Kings, the Super Mario Bros. 2 to the Doki Doki Panic that is the first Sengoku Basara (think Samurai Warriors, but more batshit), for apparently the year of Our Lord 2006 was too soon for such obscure oriental concepts like "samurai" to sell in the west.
-Yours Truly

conchncoral

Post by conchncoral » Sat May 07, 2022 9:08 am

Usually get my kicks from playing one DW game a year starting with 5 onward. 5, 6, strikeforce, Samurai Warriors 1 and 2. Think i can start Orochi now since i have 1 2 and 3. Been meaning to start 7 but just kept getting pushed back for other games. Good to see i can look forward to 8.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 am

Warriors Orochi 1 is pretty fun. Keep in mind that warriors orochi 2, depending what version or region you are playing, is just an update of Orochi 1 with some extra characters and shit. Warriors Orochi 3 uses the DW7 engine and a lot of the weapons and movesets feel rather samey as a result. I haven't played the 4th game. WO1 feels the same as Dynasty Warriors 5, which I think has the best gameplay in the SD era of warriors games. The ability to quick switch between 3 characters, each with their own meters, adds more strategy to how you approach each level. When a character's health is low, you can swap to another until you find health items. You're rarely stuck at 1hp, desperately running around, looking for meat bun spawns.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

ebin namefag

Post by ebin namefag » Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 am
You're rarely stuck at 1hp, desperately running around, looking for meat bun spawns.
I'm always getting lost desperate for some meat and buns.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.