Nintentard's thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Nintentard's thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:33 pm

>motion blur

Because N64 graphics didn't look shit enough.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:13 pm

Motion blur is the first thing I turn off if the game gives me a toggle.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:17 pm

Same. It can only make games look worse, really. I almost threw up when I played Dragon Ball Xenoverse because with motion blur the entire screen melts whenever anyone moves.

Another permanent turn off is Depth of Field. Oh yes, I like giving myself a handicap in a visual piece of entertainment.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 am

I used to play Unreal Tournament on an early TFT monitor, so I got unintentional motion blur that way and am not very sensitive to it. But I do turn it off whenever I can. Same as DOF.
It's just not natural. Your brain blanks out motion blur IRL and DOF doesn't exist in that way either, as you can't see what you don't focus, unlike what's happening on a screen.

Bloom is another contender for shitty effects.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:21 am

Motion blur and depth of field both make me sick, and I'm not normally someone who has that problem with video games. But aggressive motion blur is painful for me. If it's not aggressive then it may as well not exist because, like Kugel said, I'll forget it's there.

Bloom at least theoretically can make some games look a little better than they would have without it. Not Fable, obviously. Not games where the bloom was dialed to 11. But there are parts of Jade Empire that I remember which probably would have been more bland if not for the spots of bloom sprinkled throughout. That said, I still think of Bloom as a product of original xbox console limitations. If you have a good color palette for your game, and you are able to output 1080p definition video, as opposed to 480i (like og xbox,) then bloom serves no purpose. The point of bloom, in my view, is to make those early and early-ish 3d games look a little bit better, by faking effects that those consoles weren't capable of producing. Such as advanced lighting models.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:35 pm

Bloom exists to hide/blur/obscure low poly textures. That's it really.
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:06 pm

It's a cheap trick to wow audiences with ever more "hyper-realistic" graphics on consoles whose cheap hardware can't keep up with the demand.
-Yours Truly

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Alright assholes, I caved in and got a Switch that came with Smash Ult for 325 USD. May God have mercy on my soul.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:19 pm

Don't forget the other Switch mainstay.
-Yours Truly

Newhalf

Post by Newhalf » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:55 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:06 pm
It's a cheap trick to wow audiences with ever more "hyper-realistic" graphics on consoles whose cheap hardware can't keep up with the demand.
That's just kinda like how most N64 games had this annoying fog everywhere to hide the poor draw distance yeah?
I remember seeing Turok on that thing back in the day and your vision range was like 3 feet.
I think Silent Hill (on the PS1?) did this too and that's where the fog plot device partially came from.
It's a trap!