Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.

Re: Retro Games

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:11 am

Big Cheddar talks about the good old days of buying a SNES game and having it forever. Kids these days just can't appreciate.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 am

>Boomer scammer says the old days were better
Debatable, don't get me wrong I miss the fuck out of the 90's with how simple things were but lets not fool ourselves in not thinking that having every game made up until 2010 on a hard drive isn't the coolest shit ever. Digital will always have a platform because places like steam are never going away.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:30 am

I'd worry more about movies. Those get pulled due to licensing more often and then reappear in a woke cut somewhere else.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:39 am

Pray for mel brooks.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 am

Wow! You couldn't make a movie like that these days.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:03 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:30 am
I'd worry more about movies. Those get pulled due to licensing more often and then reappear in a woke cut somewhere else.
Yep. A lot of shit is flat-out unavailable or you have to purchase some bare-bones garbage version digitally to see it at all. Meanwhile, I sit smugly in my fortress made from Criterion dvd cases.
SpoilerShow
All those extra features, audio commentaries and such will be lost to time forever unless some sperge uploads them to a website like jewtube. It's already happening. Certain commentary tracks functionally don't exist anymore unless you can track down an OOP old media dvd. Some of these are worth $100 or more.

"But tictac, who cares about extra features." Well, given the extra features include such things as:

-David Cronenberg commentary over films like Videodrome
-Famous hong kong cinema autist Bey Logan sperges over HK action movies, explaining production info that simply isn't available in English
-Film scholars discuss various interpretations of foreign films
-monster movie autist talks about how King Kong was filmed using condoms as special effects

Some of these have been uploaded to youtube, but they could be pulled any day. There were a ton of Bey Logan commentary tracks posted to youtube (no movie included,) but those were pulled randomly and the channel banned. Make no mistake: media will NOT be preserved. Marketable media will be re-issued and re-sold over and over, but preserved in its original state as art? Hell fucking no.

I watched The Heroic Ones not too long ago and was able to run the commentary track alongside it, even though I didn't have access to the dvd. But last I checked, that commentary track has been baleeted from youtube and no longer exists. Some of these audio commentaries are from HD-DVD format and other dead media.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Nigger just download a DVDremux if you want muh cummentary tracks.
(Honestly pirate groups should start uploading untouched commentary AC3 tracks as their own downloads.)

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:09 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:03 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:30 am
Yep. A lot of shit is flat-out unavailable or you have to purchase some bare-bones garbage version digitally to see it at all. Meanwhile, I sit smugly in my fortress made from Criterion dvd cases.
SpoilerShow
All those extra features, audio commentaries and such will be lost to time forever unless some sperge uploads them to a website like jewtube. It's already happening. Certain commentary tracks functionally don't exist anymore unless you can track down an OOP old media dvd. Some of these are worth $100 or more.

"But tictac, who cares about extra features." Well, given the extra features include such things as:

-David Cronenberg commentary over films like Videodrome
-Famous hong kong cinema autist Bey Logan sperges over HK action movies, explaining production info that simply isn't available in English
-Film scholars discuss various interpretations of foreign films
-monster movie autist talks about how King Kong was filmed using condoms as special effects

Some of these have been uploaded to youtube, but they could be pulled any day. There were a ton of Bey Logan commentary tracks posted to youtube (no movie included,) but those were pulled randomly and the channel banned. Make no mistake: media will NOT be preserved. Marketable media will be re-issued and re-sold over and over, but preserved in its original state as art? Hell fucking no.

I watched The Heroic Ones not too long ago and was able to run the commentary track alongside it, even though I didn't have access to the dvd. But last I checked, that commentary track has been baleeted from youtube and no longer exists. Some of these audio commentaries are from HD-DVD format and other dead media.
You hardly get special features on new releases anymore, mostly just fluff pieces you find online, and almost never get commentary tracks. If it's an older movie you'll probably get whatever features were on the previous DVD or laserdisc, but they'll charge $30 for the Days of Thunder 4k and give you a solitary featurette as a bonus.*

The first three Bond movies had laserdisc commentaries that were almost immediately banned by EON because the director talks shit about Cubby and the production. Thankfully, some autists were able to upload them a few years ago.

https://www.the007dossier.com/2011/04/2 ... mentaries/

*fuck you Days of Thunder is awesome

Jiangshi

Post by Jiangshi » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 pm

mad bum wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 am
>Boomer scammer says the old days were better
Debatable, don't get me wrong I miss the fuck out of the 90's with how simple things were but lets not fool ourselves in not thinking that having every game made up until 2010 on a hard drive isn't the coolest shit ever. Digital will always have a platform because places like steam are never going away.
Also, keep in mind that people who are horny for old physical garbage consoles could just move to a third world shithole like Brazil, where Sega Mega Drives are still produced and the best selling consoles. Of course, that would require them to actually mean what they say when complaining.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Wasn't it the Master System that was all the rage there?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!