Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Retro Games

Post by Poonoo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 pm

The real shit, not that hipster indie garbage. About to play Chrono Trigger again after playing a few years ago with a buggy rom that left me stuck.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Retro Games

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 am

I'll go for another Doom+Doom2 run tomorrow. Playing it with GZDOOM, all aim assists turned off (including vertical), full mouselook and Smooth Doom mod that just ads more frames of animation to the shooting, reloading and all enemy animations.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 am

I've been playing a fair amount of Streets of Rage 1 and 2. SoR 3 kind of feels like bullshit, but maybe I suck too much ass at it to give a fair opinion. It feels at least twice as hard as the first two games. SoR 1 is better than I gave it credit for. The more I play of it and see of it being played at high levels, the more I can appreciate some really excellent design.

A shame beat em ups are basically dead on all consoles and have been for years. I keep looking for more to play and all I can find these days are Musou shit. Musou isn't the same, sadly. I might grab that adaptation of The Warriors made by Rockstar if it's any good, but I looked at some beginning footage and there were a TON of tutorials. One of my favorite things about beat em ups is you jump right in and fucking PLAY. Why do modern games have to be so damn slow?
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 am

Besides the very, very slow start The Warriors is pretty okay.
But if you want a really good brawler I'm afraid you've already played them all that were released on consoles. Time to set up MAME, bruh.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Seele

Post by Seele » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 am

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Abe's Exoddus hold a very special place in my heart. They introduced me to more mature gaming when I was a wee lad.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 am

rabidtictac wrote:Why do modern games have to be so damn slow?
Because they think they're target audience is too stupid to just pick it up and play.

Seeing how many gamers keep getting scammed, this might not be far off from the truth.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 am

They think people will only buy hand holding casual shit. Of course Dark Souls became mainstream and even on mobile Flappy Bird was huge and that wasn't easy. I tried Candy Crush a few years ago and that game was intentionally bullshit for micro transactions and people liked it.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 am

Fuck, people in the West say that Monster Hunter is some hardcore proGamer shit, when it's really pretty mainstream in Glorious Nippon.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 am

Poonoo wrote:They think people will only buy hand holding casual shit. Of course Dark Souls became mainstream and even on mobile Flappy Bird was huge and that wasn't easy. I tried Candy Crush a few years ago and that game was intentionally bullshit for micro transactions and people liked it.
And just you wait. They'll keep making those Dank Souls games and they'll become more and more casual. Eventually, they'll find some way to put set piece tutorials in them.

I saw some random guy on YouTube screaming and ranting, and he made a pretty good argument that Dank Souls has become almost a yearly fucking franchise. Fuck's sake. So how long until it's just AssCreed?

I think arcades failing probably had a lot to do with the overabundance of tutorials and the lack of immediacy in games. Arcade games are designed so you can jump in and play and, for a long time, consoles were taking ports and inspirations from arcade games. Arcade Double Dragon became NES Double Dragon, Final Fight was ported to SNES and inspired a bunch of SNES games. SNK had the Neo-Geo, which was their attempt at a home arcade console aka a console that played arcade games! You look at SNK games and they are still the definition of "pick up and play."

So what if I don't know every little nuance of a game when I first start playing? Design levels intelligently and enemies in interesting ways and I'll learn without reading from endless tutorial prompts. Something else those old games don't do is put you in "safe" tutorial areas to force you to try all your moves. That's fucking bullshit (I said in DSP's voice). Even Metal Gear Rising did that shit with hologram training rooms. Mandatory fucking tutorials in safe areas so us retards wouldn't bang our heads against the walls and get hurt in the real levels!

And if Platinum can't stop from using tutorials, what chance do we have with any other developer? They all think gamers are utter retards.
RAPEMAN wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:Fuck, people in the West say that Monster Hunter is some hardcore proGamer shit, when it's really pretty mainstream in Glorious Nippon.
Because nowadays, any game that allows for a possibility of a persistent fail state, or a roadblock where there's even a remote chance of the player not being good enough to get past it, is considered SUPER HARDCORE.

Old games were all like that, again probably because of arcade influence. Some of that was quarter munching, but some of it was just intelligent difficulty.
RAPEMAN wrote: