What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Complicity

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Complicity » Wed May 24, 2023 12:38 am

I played the first level on Exterminatus difficulty, and it's way better than Prodeus so far.
None of that "don't worry Phil, you can respawn from the last checkpoint and those meanies will stay dead (and bosses won't recover health)" bullshit; you save manually and, if you die, you load the last saved game or fuck off.
The levels seem to have architecture, but there's no map so i don't expect anything particularly convoluted.
Very nice dark ambient/sci-fi music.
It's pretty easy; everything so far died with one shot of the boltgun, or one swing of the chainsaw/sword.
The melee weapon is fun to use; pressing the right mouse button will target the enemy in front of you and slow the action, releasing it will make the marine leap and eviscerate.
You can taunt the enemies, and the marine will say shit like "for the Emperor" and "i give my life willingly", but i don't know how useful it is.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 24, 2023 5:16 am

The one thing that bothers me is that the trailer shows daemons which I'm pretty sure are just made up.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Wed May 24, 2023 2:18 pm

Game's officially good.
Architecture instead of arena-corridor bullshit.
Secrets boost you until the end of the level, meaning that they aren't mandatory but picking them up is useful.
Every time i use taunt the marine says something else, and goes for the fascist, exclusionary "mankind demands your blood" instead of the progressive, inclusive humankind.
The enemies of the first level were power bottom cultists, Chaos Spehs Muhrines and Terminators are resilient.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:16 am
The one thing that bothers me is that the trailer shows daemons which I'm pretty sure are just made up.
Are Nurglins, Pink and Blue Horrors, Flamers and Plague Toads a thing?
So far i met those.

Just play the game on Exterminatus, it's barely a challenge.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 24, 2023 3:46 pm

Let me rephrase it in that some daemons appear to be made up. A lot were instantly recognizable as their tabletop counterpart, but a few didn't really ring a bell.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed May 24, 2023 6:25 pm

My only problem with boltgun like you said is its way too easy even on the hardest difficulty. Feels like it was toned down for zoom zooms.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 pm

I have a feeling most modern "retro" FPS are going to be that way. Easy games sell better.
SpoilerShow
Unless you can convince your audience "it's just like dark souls/elden ring" and pignosis them into believing your middling-difficulty game is acktshually SUPER HARD BRO
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed May 24, 2023 8:33 pm

That's what hacks love to use to have a game that isn't any harder than the easy stuff but put some bullshit insta deaths or cheating AI in it.
I dunno, Boltgun looks cheap and shit and rubs me entirely the wrong way. I immediately didn't like what I saw and have a feeling I'd be mighty pissed if I wasted my time on it.

>better than prodeus
But I have the same feeling about it and they are of the same ilk. They lack soul. A certain je ne sais quoi.
My intuition has never failed me about shit like this.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 24, 2023 9:57 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 pm
I have a feeling most modern "retro" FPS are going to be that way. Easy games sell better.
Games like these exist so posers can pretend that they're "real" retro gaymurs.
-Yours Truly

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Thu May 25, 2023 12:27 pm

They need to accommodate for the mentally impaired these days since "gayming is 4 eVeRyBoDy" and whatnot. :roll:
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Thu May 25, 2023 3:05 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:33 pm
>better than prodeus
But I have the same feeling about it and they are of the same ilk.
They really aren't.
Prodeus looks retro-ish, but incorporates all the shittiest aspects of zoomer gaymes - arena/corridor design, no real penalty for failing, speedrun friendly system/scores (dying can be considered a penalty only if you speedrun).
Now that enemies have started to appear in diverse swarms that kill you fast, Boltgun feels like if old Raven Software had a 40k loicense, but forgot to add difficulty levels after Hard (even with the swarms there's too much health, shields and ammo around).
I'm sure Dusk and Amid Evil are superior and faster (i haven't played them because even looking at footage gives me motion sickness, but sooner or later i'll try in windowed mode), but Boltgun is basically Hexen in Archmage mode without the puzzles.