What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by mad bum » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:05 pm

>playing ranger

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am

Oh, please. This meme is from the previous game and severely out-of-date in EDF 5.
SpoilerShow
The Ranger is now "The Virgin Sprint".
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Are any of the newer EDF games good? I stopped playing somewhere around EDF 2025. Then I heard 4.1 was just EDF 2025 again. Didn't hear much of anything about Iron Rain.

I mainly use Wing Diver when given a choice. The EDF on xbox 360 didn't have classes at all, so everyone was a Virgin Ranger in that one.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Iron Rain is like Insect Armageddon in that it is a more "serious" entry aimed at a more "Western" audience (aka boring) done by a different developer (though a Japanese this time around, not a Burger one like in Insect Armageddon).
Afaik people don't like it, and I'm not terribly interested in trying it out.
It also has an extra stupid gimmick where you also have to fight a splinter group of the EDF, which is probably their excuse to add in a competitive multiplayer mode or two.

4.1 had new stuff (namely Not-Godzilla) and some quality-of-life (stuff like Rangers being able to heal NPCs, which now everyone can do in 5, plus vehicles show their weapon arcs as a targeting laser), but it's probably not worth it if you've already done 2025. Best to go to 5 for a fresher experience.

Bear in mind that a lot of Wing Diver weapons will feel different due to the new charging mechanic in 5, but the additional dash is fucking awesome.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Hmm. I wonder if I would even like new wing divers if they changed them a lot. I like how they work in 2/4. The primary reason I play wing diver is maps too big and I don't like to walk.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:10 pm

I wouldn't worry about not going fast enough as a Wing Diver.

Here's a short gameplay video, featuring everyone's favorite "red ants at the beach" mission.

EDIT: Wing Diver also gets demented shit like the Stardust Cannon, which is basically a shotgun with what appears to be infinite range.

(Don't worry about the footage freezing for a good minute or two. That's just the engine screaming in agony as too many bugs get insta-gibbed. Hasn't really happened to me, thankfully.)
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:49 am

I think I'll just play EDF 2, or maybe 2025. I never did finish either game since both are long as fuck. I finished 2017 and that was the only one I beat. I remember that one had really fun missions.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:19 am

They're all about dem fun missions.
Of course, there a few classics you find in pretty much any EDF game (cave ambush, red ants at the beach, fuckhuge mass battle, motership at the beach).
EDF 5 also has kinda-sorta stealth missions where you're sneaking around cities or factories to ambush patrols of giant aliens.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm

I like the bug hunts underground too. Those are the parts that feel the most heavily derived from Starship Troopers/John Steakley's Armor. Despite all the campy '50s sci-fi trappings, underground missions in 4 are kinda horrifying. It's pitch black and waves upon waves of ants/spiders overrun your position. There are so many you can't even kill them fast enough, and their corpses pile up to block your shots, allowing new bugs to swarm you. While fighting one wave, another wave will spawn in a side tunnel and move up on you from behind.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:14 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm
I like the bug hunts underground too.
I like bug chasing.