What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:12 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 am
I've heard a lot of shit about Pathfinder Kingmaker, almost all of it negative. I'm sure I'll play it eventually because I have to play every D&D based vidya gaem, but I doubt I'll enjoy it.
It's actually not bad, specially if you use a few mods to tweak some aspects of gameplay. I particularly like using Bag of Tricks to enable the "take 10 on skill checks" tabletop mechanic (to make out-of-combat skill checks less annoying) and Call of the Wild to add a whole bunch of new features from the tabletop to the game, and you can even fully retrain every companion to fix their awful builds to make all of them viable for higher difficulties (the in-game retrain option only allows you to restart their builds to their initial state, which varies from character to character). Some people hate the kingdom management aspect of the game, but you can automate that and not deal with it.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:27 am

It also became a lot better after a big update gave you the option of just playing combat turn-based, instead of using that pretend-realtime thing that has always held down Infinity Engine games IMO (though turn-based combat was available as a mod before).
There also seems to be a lack of variate in magical scrolls, which is a bit of a bummer for wizards since one of their big gimmicks over say sorcerers is that they can gobble up spells wherever they can find them written down.
You're also pretty much required to save scum during exploration 'cause you'll never know if that optional cave you're visiting contains fun diversions and loot, or a bunch of wererats who will eat your face - in the prologue area of the game, no less.
Plus it still has the worst mandatory real dungeon I've ever seen in this kind of game: a small cave full of spider swarms. You can't really hurt them with normal weapons (gotta use torches and the molotov cocktails they graciously give you), they're hard enough to hit either way (AC 19, which is 2 points higher than in the actual tabletop, which is a bit absurd for such an early encounter), and they can poison you (which is alwys fun to see in your first proper fight).
Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:34 am
God, Amiri does suck balls in PF Kingmaker.
The mandatory fighter lady you can end up also leaves a bit to be desired. The focuses on tower shields, which isn't particularly popular of a build, and in fact she starts with an archetype that is mostly dedicated of just getting rid of the penalties you get for wielding such a fuckhuge shield (which reminds me of how a lot of Monk class features just remove the penalties you get for being a Monk, which is always fun when everyone else learns actually useful shit).
I guess she could make for an okay-ish paladin, but she comes with built-in depression that prevents her from taking levels in paladin.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:32 am

rabidtictac wrote:
I've heard a lot of shit about Pathfinder Kingmaker, almost all of it negative. I'm sure I'll play it eventually because I have to play every D&D based vidya gaem, but I doubt I'll enjoy it.
Imo it's just the writing.
I believe there were also complaints about the combat, but those were before they introduced the turn based mode.
The game has been obviously written by the same kind of people who wrote The Outer Worlds.
I haven't seen any open misandry/Orange Man Bad before uninstalling, but be prepared for Whedon/Gunn-like snark, and to be lectured by the woman paladin on how rape-stare is a big deal.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:56 am

Tried to play pathfinder wrath of the righteous and its such a snoozefest. The real time combat basically makes melee required.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:27 am
It also became a lot better after a big update gave you the option of just playing combat turn-based, instead of using that pretend-realtime thing that has always held down Infinity Engine games IMO (though turn-based combat was available as a mod before).
There also seems to be a lack of variate in magical scrolls, which is a bit of a bummer for wizards since one of their big gimmicks over say sorcerers is that they can gobble up spells wherever they can find them written down.
You're also pretty much required to save scum during exploration 'cause you'll never know if that optional cave you're visiting contains fun diversions and loot, or a bunch of wererats who will eat your face - in the prologue area of the game, no less.
Plus it still has the worst mandatory real dungeon I've ever seen in this kind of game: a small cave full of spider swarms. You can't really hurt them with normal weapons (gotta use torches and the molotov cocktails they graciously give you), they're hard enough to hit either way (AC 19, which is 2 points higher than in the actual tabletop, which is a bit absurd for such an early encounter), and they can poison you (which is alwys fun to see in your first proper fight).
Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:34 am
God, Amiri does suck balls in PF Kingmaker.
The mandatory fighter lady you can end up also leaves a bit to be desired. The focuses on tower shields, which isn't particularly popular of a build, and in fact she starts with an archetype that is mostly dedicated of just getting rid of the penalties you get for wielding such a fuckhuge shield (which reminds me of how a lot of Monk class features just remove the penalties you get for being a Monk, which is always fun when everyone else learns actually useful shit).
I guess she could make for an okay-ish paladin, but she comes with built-in depression that prevents her from taking levels in paladin.
I'm pretty sure I would hate the kingdom management shit. But if you can ignore it then that's good.

Monk being complete shit is true in Baldur's Gate as well. They're by far the worst class. I think a level 18 Monk has the same AC as a first level Fighter wearing splint or plate in BG1. :lol:

I've played Pillars 2 in turn based mode and I couldn't stand that tbh. As much as real-time-with-pause is flawed, the turn based mode in Pillars 2 was put together completely without thought. Battles take for-fucking-ever and certain classes are broken by turn-based. Casters received massive buffs (because they never miss in turn-based, among other reasons) while some classes (like ranged units) got nerfed. Stats that influence speed become dump stats because you can only take one turn per round no matter what.

No idea if the Pathfinder games have better turn based combat. I've played a fair bit of Divinity 2 recently and still stand by my firm belief that combat in Divinity 2 is way, way too fucking slow. It's absolutely insulting how much stalling the computer does during their turn.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:28 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
I have to play every D&D based vidya gaem
Is that so? When are you going to play the SSI Goldbox games?
Pool of Radiance is great!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:26 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 pm
Monk being complete shit is true in Baldur's Gate as well. They're by far the worst class. I think a level 18 Monk has the same AC as a first level Fighter wearing splint or plate in BG1. :lol:
The only Monk-like worth taking in BG is the Kensai, and that's only if you're planning to dual-class into a Wizard (because it's not like they can wear armor to begin with)
I've played Pillars 2 in turn based mode and I couldn't stand that tbh. As much as real-time-with-pause is flawed, the turn based mode in Pillars 2 was put together completely without thought. Battles take for-fucking-ever and certain classes are broken by turn-based. Casters received massive buffs (because they never miss in turn-based, among other reasons) while some classes (like ranged units) got nerfed. Stats that influence speed become dump stats because you can only take one turn per round no matter what.
You know, all this makes it sound like Pillars used actual realtime (like an RTS game) and had spell hits determined by hitboxes and shit.
Since they haven't adjusted anything to work within a turn-based frame, everything's fucked.
No idea if the Pathfinder games have better turn based combat. I've played a fair bit of Divinity 2 recently and still stand by my firm belief that combat in Divinity 2 is way, way too fucking slow. It's absolutely insulting how much stalling the computer does during their turn.
Pathfinder just switches over to the tabletop mechanics, which the pseudo-realtime mode already uses under the hood.
And stalling is a sign of "great" AI design.

Also please call it Divinity Original Sins 2. Vanilla Divinity 2 is an action RPG where you play a dragonkin.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:28 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Do I have to do any weird shit to get them running?
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:27 pm

I think the original release of Pool of Radiance had a bug that, if you installed it in a specific directory structure, the uninstall program would wipe out your HD.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:10 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:07 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:28 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Do I have to do any weird shit to get them running?
Nope. At least the GOG versions run just fine.
The turn-based combat is one of the best ever. It's all based on 2nd Edition, like most old D&D licensed vidya.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!