What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 21, 2022 12:10 am

I've been playing a ton of Battle Brothers. It's like mount and blade mixed with tactics ogre.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 am

Add in some XCOM because neither of those other games are nearly as hard or frustrating.
Also fuck Nachzehrer (basically ghouls if ghouls could fucking digivolve mid-fight by eating corpses)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 22, 2022 2:38 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 am
Add in some XCOM because neither of those other games are nearly as hard or frustrating.
Also fuck Nachzehrer (basically ghouls if ghouls could fucking digivolve mid-fight by eating corpses)
Nachos are nothing compared to some of the other monsters, mate. I've been doing a Witchers roleplay run with the beast slayers origin. Basically trying to take all the beast hunting contracts. It really helps reduce the tedium of grinding gear from raiders and other "meta" bullshit strategies. Sometimes you just have to role the dice on an impossibly hard, RNG monster fight.

At least with Nachos, they have a game plan and it's pretty simple. Their ai always rushes you and you can stall them for a long time with spear walls, then go for morale breaks to make packs of nachos turn tail and run. What really sucks about nachos is when you start out a fight and 2+ already start in their "feasted" state, which means they can freely gobble up one of your characters without any kind of "saving throw" mechanic. You can free the character by killing the nacho, but that takes multiple turns (usually.) Or they might gobble a character and then flee. :lol:

But all in all, I'd rather fight nachos over direwolf packs, snake hordes or snow unholds. Hell, I'll take nachos over regular undead with a necromancer. Especially early game where you don't have the stamina to fight endlessly resurrected zambies.

The hardest monsters, in my opinion, are probably Alps. Mainly because I have yet to fight a group of Alps that wasn't also a night ambush on shitty terrain (snow, mountains etc.) Alps ignore both armor stats and damage your hp directly. When a pack of Alps focus fire a single dude, they can kill him in one turn, before you have a chance to do anything.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 am

Fuck, I forgot the higher-tier Nachos have Swallow Whole. That's a fucking endgame ability in Age of Wonders 2 :lol:

And the biggest disappointments in terms of monsters were thoes ghosts (or rather "Geist" or "Gespenst", seeing how krautaboo this game is). I think I was fucked when I ran into a group, but they don't really do much and just vanished after a single hit.

Speaking of monsters, I've checked out Siralim Ultimate. It's a monster-catching game with 16-bit fantasy RPG graphics, borrowing bits and pieces from Pokemon (spells are basically Pokemon moves in that each can only be used a limited number of times before restoring), the Digimon games (you can create new monsters by beating the enemy version until you have collected enough "data") and Shin Megami Tensei (monster fusions, though here they actually create a "new" monster, with the looks of the first monster, the type of the second one, and inheriting the passive ability from both parents).
There also seems to be a heavy dose of Disgaea. The game seems very grind-heavy, and considering that each side in combat can have up to 6 monsters - each with multiple spells and up to 2 passives that can be anything from counters to party-wide buffs - it seems the game can be prone to stupid nonsense chains straight out of some collectible cards game.

On top of that, your monster trainer has an actual class with perks 'n shit. I went with an Animator, whose exclusive starter pokemon gets super swole the larger the party is, and he can borrow or outright steal stats, spells or passives from other party members.
Plus one of the Animator perks has that fucker auto-cast the Diablo 2 classic Corpse Explosion. I dunno how balanced it is that every random encounter ends as soon as I kill two enemies at the most (since Corpse Explosion becomes stronger the more enemies are already dead, and getting killed by a Corpse Explosion triggers the next Corpse Explosion), but I'm not gonna complain.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon May 23, 2022 4:47 am

I've heard Siralim recommended a lot. I think they've made 3 games by now? Maybe more. It looks underwhelming, but the deepest games are often mediocre visually.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon May 23, 2022 3:18 pm

It's four. The latest is just called "Ultimate" instead of "4", which is a shame since the series is a spiritual successor to Phantasy Star IV (macros, baby.)

And there appears to be a lot of crazy customization shit you can do with fusions, artifacts and spells (the latter two of which open up customization slots if you upgrade them enough).
-Yours Truly

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 26, 2022 1:34 pm

(I previously posted half of this shit in the "What are you listening to?" thread. Sumimasen :| )

Luminous Avenger iX 2
SpoilerShow
So after the excellency that is Blaster Master Zero 3, I had moderately high-ish hopes for this sequel to a spin-off.
The bosses are still kinda fun, but I feel they changed a lot just to make it different.
  • Fuckin' Isekai: Copen and his two waifus end up in a different dimension, this time one where humans have gone extinct and only androids remain (making this more Mega Man Zero than ever before). If you count the Luminous Avenger spin-off series itself, this makes it the second alternate reality Gunvolt setting where everything has gone to shit.
    Also making this game's rival a robo-copy of original Copen (the one with the shield from Gunvolt 1 that was never playable) effectively spelled it out that this alternate Earth also had a Copen.
  • Where is my blade waifu?: The previous' games rival was Blade, effectively a female version of Zero with electrical sword attacks. Since she became one of the good guys by the end you may have hoped for her to become playable. But sadly she didn't get a ticket to the isekai world :|
  • Weird weapon: So instead of a pistol Copen now uses some weapon from yet another dimension that was apparently once a Blaster Rifle from Blaster Master (potentially setting up some IntiVerse nonsense), except all it can do in this game is generate energy buzzsaws. This changes his playstyle quite fundamentally as his default attack is now a melee one - except it doesn't feel as good as the Z-Saber, does pretty much fuckall in mid-air, and once you've tagged someone it still turns into a homing ranged attack instead. You couldn't even use the melee attack if you wanted. Why they couldn't give you a second attack button like in Mega Man Zero, I have no idea.
  • Nerfed mobility: One thing that has always made Copen way more fun to play than Gunvolt was his superior mobility thanks his air-dashes, and his tagging mechanic letting him kill multiple enemies with still without touching the ground.
    Now you can only air-dash once before you have to touch the ground, unless you manage to not get hit long enough to activate Overdrive aka Super Idol Waifu Mode :|
  • No Prevasion: Prevasion (aka no-selling attacks at the cost of meter) always has been a weird-ass mechanic in this series, since n00bs relying on it will get frustrated once they run into a boss with attacks that can't be prevaded.
    No that shit's gone. Instead you can just heal whenever you want, how often you want. It just tanks your score.
    The closest thing to Prevasion in this is an upgrade that minimizes damage if you do nothing. The final boss unleashing its multi-hit, screen-wide super move? Just do nothing and it won't even put a visible dent into your health bar.
    That is of course unless you play Hard Mode (which is required this time around to see the true ending), where none of this stuff works. Pretty sure you're fucked if you can't maintain Super Idol Waifu Mode.
  • DLC: So after Blaster Master Zero 3 didn't get any DLC (supposedly because of it getting a physical release at launch or something), this game has DLC once again.
    It's like bonus boss battles against blokes from different games that'll give you new upgrades, the only one I know about being Jason from Blaster Master Zero. And they cost $8 a pop. And one of those $8 will give you an un-nerfed air dash :|
  • Kohaku: Why is she still so flat-chested? When will she get some damn growth spurts :| ?
Drainus
SpoilerShow
Now this is more like it. Team Ladybug have mostly been known for making Metroidvania, but now they've released a shmup. Does it hold up?

Well, do you like Gradius?
Do you like Gradius with a fully-customizable weapon bar?
A fully-customizable weapon bar you can change on the fly?
With new upgrades from a shop you can also access at any time?
And a beam absorption field that lets you no-sell energy attacks and turn them into homing lasers?
And you can freely set your two standard speeds (by default you have a "slow down" button like in a bullet hell, but I found it more convenient to turn it into a "gotta go fast" button)?
And you get all the advantages of Starfox (a talking frog) without all the disadvantages (everything else)?!
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 29, 2022 12:40 pm

KotoR 2 is getting a proper hd port. It will include the restored content as free dlc.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 29, 2022 3:31 pm

I'd be excited if it wasn't trash.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 29, 2022 9:58 pm

The only thing worse than D&D is D&D applied to a setting where it makes zero sense (which is pretty much anything that's not a D&D setting).
-Yours Truly