MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: MonHun

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 pm

Give the other styles a try at some point, though.
In terms of sheer volume of things to do it is by far the most packed MonHun ever. It dwarves Gen easily.

I've sperged enough about CB and GL in it so I'll spare you.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 pm

I tried the Je Suis Monte style in Gen. That was about it though. I didn't care for it. I do plan to use Beast Prowlers once I get my cats all set up for hunting. I've found one heal + one support is pretty much god-tier for Palicoes. In Gen, I liked Protection style Prowlers a lot. They were very tanky.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 pm
I've been using Hammer almost exclusively. Funny how Hammer is good in every MonHun. You can try to argue it's not and give some example, but don't bother. It's always good. I've mained Hammer in every Gen except 1 and it's always been good. Massive stun and damage + reasonable mobility.
It's just a straightforward weapon that's hard to fuck up.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 pm

There's that, but it's more to do with the way the systems have evolved. Let me explain (sperge):
SpoilerShow
I started playing MonHun with Gen 2. In Gen 2, monsters were super simple compared to now. They had two modes: rage and not-rage. They never got tired and they had a lot of very similar movesets. Kut-Ku, Gypceroes, Garuga, Rathian, Rathalos were all just palette-swaps with tiny differences. Dromes were all the same. Monsters would literally stand in place and do the spin2win tail swipe move 3, 4, 5+ times in a row. Tigrex could charge as many times as he wanted in a row until he literally backed you off of the map. Monsters would go into rage and stay in rage until they were dead. If they flew away, the first hit you dealt to them on the next map would send them into rage.

Under that environment, Hammer was godlike because most monsters were neutral or weak to blunt damage and stun was very important, as a way to stop monsters from raging out like tards. So hammer was OP in gen 2. It dealt way too much damage while not sacrificing much in mobility if you knew how to play.

But then the other gens added more mechanics... Which also benefit Hammer. Gen 3 had target cam, which dramatically reduced a monster's ability to get out of your sight. I also think Gen 3 was the first to have the exhaust mechanic, which gave monsters a less-threatening phase. Anything that makes monsters weaker makes Hammer stronger, because Hammer is all about going wild on a monster's weak point so you can stunlock them. No infini-rage means stunlocks are easier. The swimming was kinda bad for Hammer, but you don't fight a ton of bosses exclusively in water. Overall, this is probably the most "neutral" game in terms of Hammer OP. Hammer is strong but nerfed slightly by water levels. The reason water nerfs hammer is it makes traversal while charging harder. Managing stamina is hard enough with hammer on dry land. Hammer also has a pretty short range, which is no problem on land but sucks big in water.

Gen 4 added mounting. Holy fucking shit. Now you have a jumping charge attack which deals insane damage and stun and combos into the third hit of the main YOLOSWAG hammer combo. But even the default jumping hammer attack is great. Plus you can mount monsters, which again contributes to increasing their downtime, which means you get more hammer hits, more stun, more stunLOCK and easy kills. You have more ways to approach monsters while charging and monsters still get exhausted and don't stay in rage forever. Add in new monsters like Kecha and Tetsu which are insanely weak to hammer. Hammer OP in Gen 4.

Gen 5 (Generations) added arts. Now you can get free mounts off Je Suis Monte Style. Or last-minute dodges in Adept. Even in guild, a free invincible hunter art dodge roll lets you evade basically any attack, which is massive for a weapon with no block.

The only weakness of hammer is against enemies who stay airborne for the entire fight. You can mitigate it slightly by jumping a lot, but it still sucks. Nargacuga is a little too fast for Hammer to realistically keep up with, but you only need a few hits to stunlock. Basically, outside of the buffed flying and super fast monsters in Gen (mostly Narga and Rathalos), every change from 2G on has been beneficial or neutral to Hammer. Except for swimming, which they never brought back and probably never will.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm

I never liked any of the jump styles, honestly. Adept and Brave are usually really good, though. Pay attention to minor changes in the moveset or consequences of it that aren't immediately apparent.

For example, the added mobility and changed reloading plus a guard point in Brave style turns GL into a hyper aggressive weapon.
Adept giving CB a guard point during the charged sword slash is likewise a crazy change, plus being able to go directly to red shield from a perfect block more than makes up for not having yellow shield available.

Seemingly small changes can alter the weapon in a big way!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 pm

Currently trying to figure out which monster I want to grind my first high-rank set off of. I usually make these decisions based on what armor I have used before (trying to pick something different) and how easy it is to farm up. I'll go for the harder farms after I have a full set of High Rank gear. For low rank gear, I'd actually recommend most new players just buy one of the starting sets with money. It cuts down the grind and the starting sets (bone, hunter etc) aren't completely unusable (you can use them until mid or lategame Low Rank). But I won't be doing that in High Rank, since even those sets use rare materials.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Up until high HR, don't worry about set skills. Just get something with an important elemental defence like fire.

Or do what I did and grind out a lot of sets and weapons for the heck of it and fashion.
XX HR is waaaaaaay longer than Gen HR. It feels like two ranks of HR.

I think I should get back at it as well and finally get to GR. I think I've got five hunts to go or so.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Good. Gen High Rank was complete horseshit. Maybe 2 sets of missions and then the final hunt and ending credits. I was so mad when HR ended in Generations.
RAPEMAN wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:40 am

Hitting a wall on my armor in Gen U. I'm taking like 70% damage from one Zinogre claw, so it's time to upgrade. I was using the high rank yukumo set but that's maxed out and not strong enough. I'm gonna farm a Volvidon set for fire resistance and try that out. Each piece gives around 20 more defense than what I have now. If that's not enough, I guess I'll have to tryhard-fag it and run a Rath or Garuga set. I hate using those sets because I think they look awful though. But garuga has always been op with the mask that gives earplugs. It's been that way since gen 2.

Khezu has a good set too, but I already farmed one for low rank and I don't like farming Khezu. He's an annoying cunt in rage mode.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:36 am

Don't be a bitch and get a Glavenus set. Looks ultra awesome, great fight and great abilities. Also the fire resistance you're looking for.

Unless that one is a good deal further along, which I think it might be.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!