MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: MonHun

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:45 am

Do you have a male or female hunter? That's important for aesthetics because a lot of male armor makes you look like a giant robot while the female counterpart makes you look like a slut.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Sounds good in any case.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:56 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:36 am
Don't be a bitch and get a Glavenus set. Looks ultra awesome, great fight and great abilities. Also the fire resistance you're looking for.

Unless that one is a good deal further along, which I think it might be.
I can hunt high rank glavenus now. Might as well.

Edit: Apparently I can hunt everything else except high rank glavenus.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:27 am

Just finished up High Rank Town quests. I guess this is technically the "completion" of the main game of Gen U, since you get a big credits scene and a musical number that Voice would have enjoyed.

Generations feels like such a celebration of MonHun, and particularly the "old" MonHun that I so cherish. I have a feeling this is the last generation of Monster Hunter that will be made "for me." Or for my kind of gamer. Rise has shown that Capcom is planning to import the next gen "World" style monhun to all platforms. Sorry, it's not my thing. I don't like the desaturated modern warfare lighting engine or the streamlined (lack of) mechanics. Generations is exactly as streamlined as the series should ever get. Hold A to gather? Fantastic idea that makes gathering less tedious. Prowlers who can mine and catch bugs without using up items? Great! Prowlers have their own strengths and weaknesses that don't supplant Hunters.

The implementation of Styles ultimately makes the game that much deeper for those who want to experience it. Or you can play the entire game in Guild with the dodge skill like I did. You can go hard into Prowler customization or you can ignore them entirely and just use two Healing/Support palicoes. You can milk the between-mission minigames or you can ignore them. Sidequests? Do them or don't. Egg delivery? I think a grand total of 1 egg quest is required for the entire game.

Part of what contributes to the "celebration" feel of Gen U is the way every past iconic monster is included, along with their iconic hunting ground and even their accompanying town. I loved visiting Pokke and the brilliant Arctic Ridge, where I spent all my time in 2nd Gen. Tigrex, Nargacuga, Zinogre, Rathalos, Kushala Daora, Kecha-Wacha etc are all here. Every good monster design and even some of the shit ones like Plesioth. The new monsters are all fantastic. Each one is an instant classic at best and above-average at worst. Mizutsune and Malfestio are my favorites. Monster Hunter needs more mammals and more unconventional large monsters and both qualify. I didn't *love* fighting Valstrax to close out High Rank. He just can't compare to the amazing conclusion of 4 or 3. 3 had that crazy underwater endurance match against one of the biggest monsters in the series, while 4 had a knock-down grudge match 1vs1 against Shagaru Magala. One arena, no chance to catch your breath, no items FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION!!! Against a monster who is pretty much always in rage (compared to Gore Magala.) By comparison, I was digging Valstrax at first, until he flew away and I had to tediously chase him around like a typical flying wyvern. >_> Some of his moves also felt a bit cheap at times. I still have no idea how you dodge that attack where he flies into the sky, buttfucks the camera and then swoops at you faster than you can possibly move. Didn't matter though. My palicoes were OP as shit, inflicting poison on everything and spamming heal-over-time skills.

Compared to the other games, I'd easily rank Gen U in the top 2 or 3 Generations of Monster Hunter. I think it's just approachable enough for newbs who are scared off by the clunky controls and jank of pre-4th generation. It controls smoother than 4 but has much better content than 4 ever did (minus the Gore and Shagaru hunts, 4th gen is kinda bland for monsters.) I have the most nostalgia for 2nd gen because that's where I started. I still think 2nd Gen was the first monster hunter to get all the pieces together and working, as jank as it was. The formula of hunt -> return -> craft -> farm -> hunt was perfect in 2nd gen. 3rd Gen is basically 2nd Gen again but with cool underwater shit and some essential additions such as the target cam. 3rd Gen has my favorite map ever though, Flooded Forest. Fucking love the feel of that place.

Off the top of my head then, if I were to rank the games:

1) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
2) Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
3) Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
4) Monster Hunter 4U
5) everything else

1086) Duke Nukem Forever

2077) Monster Hunter World/Rise
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 am

The Village quests are really the tutorial in a way. Hunter's Hub has actual story progression and the difficulty goes up notably.

I forgot, are there even hyper monsters in Village?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 am
The Village quests are really the tutorial in a way. Hunter's Hub has actual story progression and the difficulty goes up notably.

I forgot, are there even hyper monsters in Village?
No, but I've also unlocked High Rank in Hunter's Hub and will be doing that next. I wanted to get through village quests as fast as possible so I could hopefully get some g-rank materials to upgrade weapons before finishing the hunter's hub missions. I want some better sharpness so I can hunt deviant monsters.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:34 am

Which one doesn't. There's also arguably a rank between High and G. You'll hit a point where you need hyper parts and even the non-hyper monsters will tick up in difficulty before you even hit G-rank.

Anyway, enjoy! It's for sure the last old-school MonHun. I though Rise would take a step back at first but I quickly realized from playing that it doesn't.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Ah, so those parts I need are from hyper monsters, not g-rank hunts? I thought it was g-rank parts I needed for some reason. Welp. I do have my high-rank glavenius set now. Pretty cool. Farming him was fine, I guess. I figured out fairly early that some weapons are not so good. He's too fast and mobile. Hammer can kill him, but it's such a slog to walk after him all the time. Longsword made farming him fairly painless. He's pretty much always in rage unless you stunlock him out of it with parts destruction, but aside from THAT ONE FLAMING BITE MOVE, his rage isn't too bad. Also sometimes he does spin2win in maps where you can't physically walk away in time.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:05 pm

I second Malfestio being an instant classic. Such a breath of fresh air, and actual bird for once.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:27 am
Just finished up High Rank Town quests. I guess this is technically the "completion" of the main game of Gen U, since you get a big credits scene and a musical number that Voice would have enjoyed.
The vanilla version had a cuter one.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Yup, those are hyper monster parts.
With those you can upgrade your high rank armour to arguably G-rank. See also my rambling about my Glavenus set a few pages back.

You'll need those parts for the weapons eventually anyway.
The Glavenus fight is super awesome with the charge blade. It's a careful dance with strict timing for the blocks that is very rewarding. Mistakes cost you dearly. His hyper version does absolutely disgusting levels of damage and has absolutely no chill ever.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!