MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Re: MonHun

Post by Moe Bitches » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Hey, at least there's spaces. You are acting this is ban typing this all out. But I am intrigued despite the fact that I have never played MonHun.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 pm

There's no reason to change everything when Gen U already exists on switch and did everything right. All people wanted was Gen U + better visuals and no load zones. And maybe to remove or reduce styles' impact on gameplay.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:36 am
How very unsurprising. Pattern recognition is possibly what he's worst at. I have no idea how he ever got somewhat competent at Turbo
He peaked in high school. In all ways. Arcades were still a thing in those days, so he was at his best in his one hobby. Once he got to his twenties his skillz had declined, along with his mental and physical faculties.

He peaked twenty years early so at forty he's like a man in his sixties.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:15 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 pm
And maybe to remove or reduce styles' impact on gameplay.
Which is something one can easily do anyway by picking guild style.
The game isn't balanced around arts either. You can completely ignore them, just like you can ignore sleep bombing.

Good luck ignoring the grapple claw in Iceborn or the free damage traps and slinger in World.
Arts and styles are pretty much back in Rise anyway. Just that you have fewer of each and neither are as good or flexible.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:32 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:15 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 pm
And maybe to remove or reduce styles' impact on gameplay.
Which is something one can easily do anyway by picking guild style.
The game isn't balanced around arts either. You can completely ignore them, just like you can ignore sleep bombing.

Good luck ignoring the grapple claw in Iceborn or the free damage traps and slinger in World.
Arts and styles are pretty much back in Rise anyway. Just that you have fewer of each and neither are as good or flexible.
Oh, I know. I'm just trying to think of reasons someone might try to sell Rise as superior to Gen U. There will always be some who don't want to have evasion arts in their monhun. But Rise just takes that same problem to new heights with the grapple bug and all the dumbed-down mechanics. Automix is fucking cancer. It was cancer in World and it's mega-AIDS in Rise. It's so fucking lazy-it's made for fucks like DSP who can't into anything and don't want to take 2 seconds to click "mix" in a menu. The whole fucking loop of MonHun is gather -> craft -> explore/fight -> return -> upgrade -> repeat. Automix automates mid-mission crafting and eliminates the need for a lot of prep work, since you can just automix mega potions while chasing down the monster. It ironically also creates more tedious busywork during missions, since it incentivizes you to always gather automix items instead of taking a full load, since the automixed items don't pull from your stock. It rewards bad players by allowing them to press b to get 2+ mega potions whenever the fuck they feel like it during a hunt, with no penalty or time loss. It costs less time to pick up 2 mega potions for free that it would to use any item in original/older MonHun. The fuck is wrong with this picture?
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am

Could be worse. Imagine if you had stuff like Dork-Souls-style flasks, and just randomly interacting with a bush would fill them up by a few hit points.
Guest wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:07 pm
He peaked in high school. In all ways. Arcades were still a thing in those days, so he was at his best in his one hobby. Once he got to his twenties his skillz had declined, along with his mental and physical faculties.
I think that SSF2T PS1 port tournament fucked him more up than anything else. Why even bother becoming "better" if you're already the "best" SSF2T player in the US?

Then again, it's DSP. If he got curbstomped with 0 victories, he'd probably whine about the shitty port to this day :roll:
Moe Bitches wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:40 pm
Hey, at least there's spaces. You are acting this is ban typing this all out. But I am intrigued despite the fact that I have never played MonHun.
I am sorry for all the wonderful memories you don't have.
Your humble beginnings as normie hunter.
The realization that you need to step up your game.
The thrill of the hunt.
The euphoria you feel after felling your first large monster.
The crushing defeat after getting curbstomped by the next large monster.
And that fucking Plesioth with its broken-ass hitbox. SERIOUSLY HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU HIP CHECK ME IF I'VE ALREADY ROLLED UNDER YOUR NECK YOU CHEATING...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 am

The true MonHun experience is hitting a wall and getting your ass kicked but eventually surpassing it over and over again.
Most of the time when I am having a terrible time with a monster, I end up eventually grinding it to make a full set of armour and a weapon out of it. Only then it feels like having mastered it.

There are clearly cases when you just need some different gear, though.
3U G-rank Brachidios taught me that you can't just git gud if you roll up in a set with negative elemental resistance from high rank.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 pm

My bare minimum for monster hunter is to wear an armor set from that rank. That's why I always scramble when switching ranks to make sure I get A set of SOMETHING as soon as possible. The upgraded defense is a massive deal. You can get by on skill in a lot of situations, but you do need armor that keeps you from being oneshot.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:41 pm

The thing is that from low rank to high rank you will encounter the chump monsters, just a bit stronger.
Tougher great Jaggy isn't going to suddenly fuck your shit just because you waltz up in low rank Tigrex armour.

There is no such soft landing in G rank. G Brachidios will fuck all of your shit up if you come with high rank -15 fire defence Lagiacrus armour!
It's painful even normally but when it gets mad, the slime explodes much faster and every hit causes fireblight? Go back to high rank and get a Rathalos set.

That's why I got myself a Glavenus set in GU. I need something with fire defence for G rank that will carry me enough to get a G rank set with some.
When every kind of fire damage hit costs you two mega potions, it's just not reasonable.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Been playing some DOBURU CROSSU lately. I didn't bother carrying over my 3ds save from generations, so I started fresh in low rank. It's been fun. XX adds some new stuff but it doesn't feel too different from Generations. I'm hoping the real difference will come when I make it past high rank. I was disappointed to reach endgame High Rank in Generations and find there was nothing to really do. Just some super quests designed more for party play, like "fight 4 elder dragons" or whatever the fuck. Shit that you would legit probably time out in solo.

I've been using Hammer almost exclusively. Funny how Hammer is good in every MonHun. You can try to argue it's not and give some example, but don't bother. It's always good. I've mained Hammer in every Gen except 1 and it's always been good. Massive stun and damage + reasonable mobility.

I think the evasive dodge added in Gen has buffed the shit out of Greatsword and Longsword, however. Anything that gives you that much invincibility AND sheathes your weapon? Usually when I play GS, the hardest part is knowing which enemy pattern I can sheathe safely on. You can bypass that skill/knowledge check completely if you have an evasive charge ready. That's not even mentioning the dodge style that's build around last-minute dodging. But I prefer Guild because I'm too much an oldfag to change my ways.
RAPEMAN wrote: