Open BOR/Mugen crap

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Complicity

Open BOR/Mugen crap

Post by Complicity » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:05 pm

I haven't seen a thread about the subject, so i may as well start one.
The list in these 2 videos is pretty solid:

I never played the Streets of Rage one featured at the beginning of the second video, but if it is like soft spoken Vaporwave Fag over here is describing, it may be better than 4 and Remake.
There's also this King of Dragons X Knights of the Round crossover made by an Italian guy, which is more action RPG and less beat em' up:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Open BOR/Mugen crap

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:13 pm

The bombastic orchestal soundtrack might be a bit overkill.
And a shame the difference in sprite sizes precludes the characters from the Mystara beat-em ups to join in on the fun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:45 pm

This is officially the best Final Fight ever made.
Great graphics, great music, alternate routes, 80 characters, several special and ultra moves for each one.

5:51 Look at that stunning bravery in the background.

EDIT: The new version comes out this Friday.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:05 am

I've heard only good things about Final Fight LNS Ultimate. Some say it's their favorite beat em up of all time. I have yet to try any of these openBOR/mugen games. But whenever I do, LNS will be my first port of call.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:29 pm

I'll eventually give that a go as well.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:29 am

This thread should be about ass'beating games in general, not just about BoR. BoR games are just not good enough even though they may improve in the future considering how the engine itself is potent. I'd rather explore classic arcade games, BoR game something you play when you're desperate because you already beat all those arcade classics.
SpoilerShow

All that being said, the best BoR game is probably SoR2X, maybe.

Complicity wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:45 pm

5:51 Look at that stunning bravery in the background.
That's a copy & paste from Crime Fighters 2 which is not a A+ game but still better than like 95% of BoR games.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:07 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:29 am
BoR game something you play when you're desperate because you already beat all those arcade classics.
I've been there for a long time.
Of all the games you posted, Sengoku Denshou and Violent Storm are the only ones i'm unfamiliar with (or maybe i just don't remember them).
AdorableOtter wrote:
BoR games are just not good enough
I used to think the same 10 years ago, but now there are some open BOR gaymes that are objectively better than many official beat em' ups/their arcade counterparts.
Kinda like comparing the arcade version of TMNT in time with the superior SNES version.
AdorableOtter wrote:
That's a copy & paste from Crime Fighters 2 which is not a A+ game but still better than like 95% of BoR games.
Crime Fighters and Vendetta are both clunky quarter munchers, i remember discovering them because the Gaming Rapist covered both.
If you want to get anywhere in FF LNS Ultimate you have to master the parry system and perform combos like these:

The only official game i remember offering similar gameplay was Fight N' Rage, and that had 3 characters to choose from, not 80 to unlock.
EDIT: In the new version i counted 112 characters, and i believe that there are also secret ones.

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:43 am

Sengoku 3 has some quirks but it's definitely one of the better ones, and you are gay if you can't 1CC that shit.
Complicity wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:07 pm
Crime Fighters and Vendetta are both clunky quarter munchers, i remember discovering them because the Gaming Rapist covered both.
It's quite telling you call them quarter munchers even though they aren't. I gotta agree on the "clunky" part (especially with CF) and I'm not a big fan of them tbh, but at least Vendetta is eventually totally 1CC-able.

Lots of classic Nip arcade games are not that hard once you figure things out, but the vast majority of online commentators don't realize that because oftentimes you can't find a good guide on GameFAQs. For those people, gems like AVP or Revenge of Death Adder can be quarter munchers too.
Complicity wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:07 pm
If you want to get anywhere in FF LNS Ultimate you have to master the parry system and perform combos like these:
If I wanna parry stuff, I'd rather play Knights of the Round.

FF LNS dev should stop adding random shit like unnecessary screeching voice effects or literal shit (seriously, why the hell you have to add stinking dripping poops to the game, that dev has some issues). I give them props for using Amiga version of FF music, but SF2 Guile shouldn't scream "Sama soruto!!" or "Soniku bomu!!", that's criminal.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 am

Reminds me of that GBA port of A Link to the Past that added Link's annoying shouts from Ocarina of Time.
AdorableOtter wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:43 am
Lots of classic Nip arcade games are not that hard once you figure things out, but the vast majority of online commentators don't realize that because oftentimes you can't find a good guide on GameFAQs. For those people, gems like AVP or Revenge of Death Adder can be quarter munchers too.
The call them quarter muncher as an excuse for sucking so much.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Control is a bit janky (throwing mechanic is different) and arcade GA2 is still better imo, but still a solid attempt I guess.