Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:26 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm
The term is iconic to the greater autism that is D&D's dragon taxonomy
No, it isn't. Bugbears and Mindflayers are. A red dragon, something that has existed for literal thousands of years, isn't iconic to D&D even in the most remote way.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 pm

A red dragon in isolation is nothing to worry about. But when your game happens to group it with blue (lightning), green (acid), black (more acid), white (ice), brass (fire & gas), bronze (lightning & gas), copper (acid & gas), gold (fire & gas) and silver (ice & gas), people are starting to grow suspicious.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:44 pm

No, not really. Colour-coded elemental dragons is just about the most 08/15 fantasy trope.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:12 pm

Now take a guess where that particular trope comes from.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 pm

Ancient Chinese mythology, you dweeb. That's not a guess, it's a statement.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 am

Those are imperial dragons in D&D terms. Totally different thing from the other dragons.
And you think Gygax and gang were educated in Asian mythology? Dude pieced together the OG Monk class from an eyewitness report of David Carradine's character in Kung Fu.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:58 am

That doesn't make the first thing anyone comes up with for a high fantasy setting original. Next you'll tell me that reanimated skellingtons are OC dunotsteel as well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:41 am

Not unless we're talking about wizard skellyman who keep respawning until you break their soul pokeball.
-Yours Truly

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:31 am

Just some Kickstarter thing I found funny: Survival of the Able (Back From The Dead) (aka Cripples of the Dead).

>Play a disabled character who lives in Medieval Europe during the time of the Black Plague
Oddly specific but, sure, that's how you roll if you do a Powered by the Apoca... wait, it uses Fudge (more on that in a bit)?!

>Encounter challenges such as disease, zombies, burning buildings, terrible weather, fatigue, and stress
One of these is not like the other...

>Experience discrimination based on your disability, fear that you might have the plague, or both
You'd think those bigots would have higher priorities when the Black Death also causes the dead to rise, but I digress.
And you might think the GM will have the fun job to throw slurs around, but I can guarantee you this uses the typical wishy-washy approach of "... and then this white guy says something really offensive".

>Overcome incredible challenges against all odds and despite your disability, as able-bodied people around you panic and fall victim to the zombies
I'm sure that the blind and crippled will thrive in the zombie apocalypse were the able-bodied didn't.

>Try to avoid a fate worse than death--turning into a zombie and eating your friends.
How dangerous can you even be to your friends if you can't see shit and/or walk?

Now, in it's defense, I think this is some legit passion project instead of a cheap diversity cashgrab (which explains why it only made like a grand over its original goal).
Why do I think that? Because it uses some variant of Fudge. I didn't even know people still make Fudge games. They've basically all been replaced with Evil Hat Production's Fate over a decade ago - and even Fate has become irrelevant in Current Year, as those Evil Hat guys themselves have largely sidelined it in favor of their new in-house darling Blades in the Dark and lots of Apocalypseshit (like everyone's favorite Promiscuous Cutlass Dykes).
The art is also not typical for a cashgrab. Just some dreary art pieces featuring a blind chick and some guy messed-up by scurvy. If this was a true cashgrab there would've been prominent pastel-colored tumblr art of a fat black chick in a wheelchair running over zombies.
-Yours Truly

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:49 pm

So DHI is a game studio now? :3
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow