Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Now they just need an effeminate black guy with a bowtie (or whatever fantasy equivalent there is for a bowtie).

And I think I may have hit peak SJW autism... from 2017 might you, but whatever. Here goes!
Ever heard of Villains and Vigilantes? It's an oldie in terms of capeshit roleplaying. Got a 3rd edition in 2017 after a long hiatus. Here's a nugget from the new and refined character generation, straight from the free preview file:
Holy versimilitude, Batman!Show
2.1.6 Gender
Gender has no direct effect on a character's game statistics.
Players are thus free to select any gender identity, expression,
biological sex, and sexual attraction for their character. The
following tables are provided for GMs to determine these details
for NPCs, and for players who wish to leave these decisions open
to chance:

Code: Select all

d100    Gender Identity
01-48   Woman
49-96   Man
97-00   Nonbinary*

d100    Gender Expression
01-87   Same as gender identity
88-93   Different from gender identity
94-97   Androgynous (involves traits associated with multiple genders)
98-00   Gender Neutral (mostly devoid of gendered traits)

d100    Biological Sex
01-95   Cisgender (biological sex is aligned with gender identity)
96-99   Transgender (biological sex is different from gender identity)
   00   Intersex

d100    Sexual Attraction
01-90   Straight (attracted to members of a different gender)
91-94   Gay/Lesbian (attracted to members of the same gender)
95-99   Bisexual/Pansexual (atracted to members of multiple genders)
   00   Asexual (not sexually attracted to anyone) 
*Nonbinary is a catch-all category for gender identities outside
of the usual gender binary and cisnormativity. Such characters
may identify as one or more of the following: genderless,
genderqueer, gender fluid, two-spirit, etc.

Example: The GM is creating an NPC villain, and decides to
generate their gender randomly. The first roll is 45: the NPC
identifies as a woman. The second roll is a 19: she also expresses
as a woman. The third roll is a 12: she’s biologically female. The
fourth roll is 51: she’s straight.
Notice how the actual gender (or sex, if you will), is only on the third table.
Notice how this entire process will encounter a critical error for when you roll up a nonbinary character, for all the other tables assume a more clearly-defined "gender identity". You can't even roll up your biological sex (unless you roll a second time on the first table to figure out what you actually are).
Notice how they felt the need to explain "androgyonous" (as if this section was for complete morons), yet assumed everyone understands the concept of "gender expression"
Notice how being asexual is a lot rarer than twitter wants you to believe.
Notice how the useless example just highlights that you'll end up rolling a cishet scumbag most of the time, anyways. The only way most players will get the nonbinary transgender ace of their dreams is if they don't roll randomly.

In fact, I did the math. The chance of you rolling up your typical straight cishet is about 72,15%, bumped up to 82,94% if you ignore "Gender Expression" (whatever that's supposed to be).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 pm

So, could this be considered problematic, since it underrepresents the wonderful world of di ver sity?
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:45 pm

>Straight (attracted to members of a different gender)
NOT the opposite sex But some faggot's made up tumbler bullshit (Thanks John Money)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:56 pm

>Androgynous (involves traits associated with multiple genders)
No It means Having Traits that associated with both SEXES (i.e. Tomboy, Tomgirl etc.) (also emphasis on the word sex!)

>Gender Neutral (mostly devoid of gendered traits)
It's a Nice way of saying "I'm ugly as sin it self that not even the thirstyist of thirst would want to breed with me let alone look at me"

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:56 pm

What's a tomboy these days, anyways? A transboy? A cisgender girl that is presenting as male?
Guest wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:45 pm
>Straight (attracted to members of a different gender)
NOT the opposite sex But some faggot's made up tumbler bullshit (Thanks John Money)
Ah, thanks, guest. I forgot this little addendum:
Notice how the table defines sexuality in such a way that the actual sexes are no longer involved

Also apparently the character sheet expects you to write down stuff like "Straight Cis Male" as if it was some weird-ass Alignment.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:49 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:56 pm
What's a tomboy these days, anyways? A transboy? A cisgender girl that is presenting as male?
Some Men are Famine Some Women are Masculine. That's all there is to it! But not to the clinically insane that run the world now

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 pm

>sex and sexual orientation have no gameplay impact
Okay.
>players may therefore chose whatever they like
Seems plausible.
>now here's a massive, convoluted and nonsensical list of dice rolls if you wish to roll for it, making sure the end result is random, despite it being without consequence
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:51 pm

V&V, like just about every oldschool capeshit RPG that's not Champions, is obsessed with random character generation. You just need sufficient autism to go from that to "I can't talk about a choice you take during character generation without giving you the option to just roll that shit. Just think of muh versimilitude!"
Still, this has got to be a first. Even the most random of RPGs generally don't have a random gender table, and the only time you might end up rolling your sexuality is on questionable randon insanity tables.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:46 pm

I'd understand rolling for something that serves a function. But why roll for flavour? Even more so when it's optional to roll anyway?

Just say that sex has no gameplay impact and that it's free for the player/GM to decide. Done! You're instantly free to have your warlock to be a furry nigger faggot, who learned self-polymorph just to turn into a lion to get fucked by one, if your group allows it.

Leave it to the woke crowd to create difficulties where there are none.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:40 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:46 pm
I'd understand rolling for something that serves a function. But why roll for flavour? Even more so when it's optional to roll anyway?
Less retarded games use random background tables (in case you don't care how many siblings your character has), or a "Here's some weird shit that happened in your past" table.
Though while those are jus there to ad flavor to your character, I can't really see anyone using those gender tables?

A troon player? He's just gonna pick a troon or lesbian anyways, since the chances of actually rolling up a queermo are rare
A normie player? Those would rather just pick "Straight Cis Male" instead of having to ask if a "Female-presenting Straight Cis Male" is like a transvestite or something.
The GM? The troon player will either complain why there are so few queer NPCs around, and why one of the few queer NPCs they did come across was a supervillain.

I guess this only really leaves "allies" who want to signal their virtue by playing this round of Russian Gender Roulette, though people will rightfully point out that the table favor cisheteronormativity and he should just decide to have a queer character instead.
It basically boils down to peer pressure, I guess.
-Yours Truly