Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:57 pm

It's mostly just some merchandize gimmick. The tabletop equivalent of an IN shirt. It's really just a regular die with either the "1" or highest number replaced with some symbol or logo related to your IP.

They're also the best thing about HeroQuest:

And then there's Fantasy Flight Games which went a bit weird ever since they did Warhammer Fantay RPG 3e...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:08 pm

It's still cancer.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Two gayming news related to third-party businesses named after D&D cannon fodder:

Goblonoid Press shutting down

A veteran of the old-school movement, known for Labyrinth Lord (Basic D&D retroclone, which later got expanded to also include AD&D content without the rules bloat), Mutant Future (gonzo post-apocalypse, basically a retroclone of Gamma World), and bringing back various older RPGs (most notably Starships & Spacemen, literally a Star Trek TOS RPG with the numbers filed off, and the Pacesetter System which they adapted for zombie apocalypses and urban fantasy).

Now they're gonna be gone, with nothing left but their store on DriveThruRPG. Kinds sucks, but they're output has been pretty glacial in recent times, so maybe it's not that big of a surprise.

And now for the fun stuff:

Kobold Press paints a target on its head

These guys don't do retroclones, but are instead providing supplements and campaign settings for Pathfinder and 5e, along with generic books on game design.
One of these books had a very, very problematic paragraph about adventuring in exotic locations:
Arabia is the D&D world’s version of Spring Break: you go there for a change of scenery. For this game, you don’t want or need to understand the difference between Shiite and Sunni, or the difference between Persian folklore and Arabian folklore. You just need to know whether the fire mages are on your side or not, and maybe a few simple rules of behavior: the bond of salt, the times of prayer, or the correct way to speed a camel through the desert.
Now it's already bad enough to do anything with a non-white culture if you're not from that non-white culture yourself (as seen by that one Kickstarter for a 5e Japanese setting whose team does anything in its power to avoid admitting that it's a Japanese setting), but suggesting that a trip to a different culture should be a fun theme park ride? REEEEEEEEEEE~!

Naturally, they relented and promised to the offending paragraph (and only that paragraph). Now the SJW brigade has a new target willing to bend the knee.

Who started this shitstorm, anyways? This guy, apparently.
some soyboy wrote:Someday, in some glorious future, white people won’t say stupid things that show how oblivious they are to the things that people of color have had to deal with, every day...
You can already tell this guy's opinion on Trump and abortions.
... ever since someone decided to define some people as white to begin with. That day is not today.
Dafuq does that even mean? This sounds you're more offended by the term existing, instead of the vile scum of the human race that the term is used for.

But I wonder: Are you a poor, downtrodden minority yourself or just an """ally"""?
In case you haven’t discerned this from before, I’m a cis white man that has never been mistaken for anything other than that.
:lol:
I’ve had all of the privileges that come along with that, which means I need to examine the things that I assume, I need to listen to marginalized communities, and I need to internalize the lessons I learn.
:lol: :lol:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:40 pm

Those privileges extend to nothing but him not getting bullied hard enough.
Seriously, faggots like that used to and should again get the absolute shit kicked out of them until they learn to act right.

Because other than that, let's be serious here, wherever he went in life, people thought he was a useless twat that would never amount to anything and they were right. He's just oblivious to it due to extreme autism.

Let me guess: He equates the working class to MAGA spergs, was treated badly by all of them for being useless, yet thinks he was privileged because he just assumes if he was black he would've gotten treated worse.

Here's some news: While mostly conservative, the working class guys will happily work together with some black guy that proves himself - as every man must - over some limp-dicked, faggot-lipped, little piece of shit as him.
And this oblivious idiot likely thought that black dude was an Uncle Tom.

I'll stop myself from a multi page tyrade here. Point is, faggots like him have lost grip on reality and should get old-cashioned bullied with actual school yard beatings again.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:54 am

From this one article alone I can tell this guy is an insufferable twat that needs to be bullied into submission. Social media is one hell of a drug.

Now for some fun stuff that has been brewing for a while: IN-style drama between Wizards of the Coast and TSR

Source 1
Source 2

Well, TSR LLC, at least. I think that's the second company so far to claim the esteemed TSR name. One of them quietly rebranded itself to Wonderfilled or something, but this isn't about them so who gives a fuck.
Now the remaining TSR seems to be some kind of nostalgiabait grift, has they haven't really actually released anything so far and seem to be run by idiots.

Their current plan is to (potentially) release a revivel for Star Frontiers, an old sci-fi RPG from OG TSR that had no connection to D&D (before some of its alien races got gobbled up by Spelljammers, at least). WotC is currently going apeshit because they fear this game will forever tarnish the names "TSR" and "Star Frontiers" and by extension WotC itself.
Why? 'Cause of this from the playtest document:

Also apparently this is transphobic af:

Now you might get some keks out of this, but it's clearly not a good idea to include this in what is supposed to be your first big flagship release.
Unless you're out for drama and shit, that is.

WotC surely has a bigger warchest for this slapfight thanks to Daddy Hasbro, but their claims can be seen as a bit strenuous since they've never done much to protect the TSR and Star Frontiers IPs. In fact you could download all Star Frontiers releases on a popular fansite for years, and WotC didn't tell them to stop that until fairly recently.
-Yours Truly

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:34 am

So it appears that Goblonoid Games' suspension of their social media activity was just a publicity stunt garner attention for their new web presence and the announcement that there's gonna be a 2nd edition of Labyrinth Lord.

Apparently the idea - besides getting that sweet Kickstarter money with minimal effort - is to provide a Basic D&D clone that is more true-and-honest to Basic D&D.

(Back when Laybrinth Lord first game out the creators were more paranoid about how much you can actually copy-paste directly from the pages of Basic D&D, so you got stuff like XP requirements for each level being at least 1 point higher than in Basic D&D so they didn't have the exact same numbers.)

Not sure why you would shill out money on Kickstarter for the same product with slightly different numbers (and new art).
Not sure why you would do that knowing they're planning to double- and maybe even triple-dip by announcing two separate releases for the Advanced D&D content (1 standalone, 1 that combines both previous books), especially since the compiled version with everything in it has been the standard for Labyrinth Lord 1e for years.
Not sure why you would do that if Old-School Essentials is already out and already does what this 2e is trying to do as well (being a more authentic Basic D&D experience).

But hey, this is the OSR community. They've been gobbling up different permutations of Basic D&D - offical and unoffical - for decades.
-Yours Truly

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:59 am

Modern sensibilities / the market a handful of SJW troons demand female Spaz muhrines, part CXXVI

edit: double the drama, enter Jizzards of the Cucks, reprinting the power nine, for 1000$ a booster pack, but at the same time making the cards illegal. Guess they couldn't risk the anger of the (((playerbase))) currently owning the old cards :3
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:41 am

>whining about muh lack of female Spess Mehreens
>mentioning the Sisters of Battle without explaining why they are "not good enough"
>bringing up the olden days of the game when Spess Mehreens where effectively glorified law enforcement instead of super soldiers
>being nice enough to GW to blame the sexist market on the lack of female Spess Mehreens

Jokes on them, GW can always "reveal" that the Spess Mehreen process turns you MTF or at least male-passing. Problem solved.

It was also a nice touch to bring up the "superior" Stormcast Eternals. Nothing quite like reminding me that the lady Sigmarines only ever have the most disgusting of lesbian haircuts.

But lets humor them for a second. Just how much would female Spess Mehreens actually change in practice?
Take the Imperial Guard for example. They have always been open to the entire gender spectrum, but there are not special characters or models that are actually female. In fact the only visual evidence of female Guards comes from the now defunct RPG spinoff Only War.
Or how about the oh so beloved Sigmarines? You'd need models without helmets to even be able to tell if they're a man or woman, and even then it can get quite ambigious. And the only two female heroes are some hoe with two axes (which makes her look like a lame counterpart to a Khorne Berserker) and another hoe with wings and a spear (which most definitely makes her look like a counterpart to Valkia the Bloody).

As for that Magic the Cuckening thing...
The reason people are upset is that none of these cards are not tournament-legal in any format.
That's some quality grammar right there.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:09 pm

At no point where Space Marines "glorified police" instead of soldiers.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:16 pm

-Yours Truly