Soystation 5 General

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Jiangshi

Re: Soystation 5 General

Post by Jiangshi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:45 pm

One would think that game companies should learn from this eventually, but i had multiple incidents of whole-game sized updates in different games. While i often times shit on the japanese, i have to admit that japanese games (Yakuza series, Warriors Orochi) are the exception for this garbage. Often times, they don't get patched at all (because the ones i played were not buggy messes), and if they are, the patches tend to be small and the differences tend to be noticeable.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:02 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm
That's pretty close to the actual size of the whole game, isn't it? Could be they effectively had to recompile the entire game into something that can be easier maintained and/or updated.
Jiangshi wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 pm
What i find even worse than huge patches are huge patches that end up doing nothing. I remember playing the physical disc of Doom 2016 on Playstation 4 without any patches for the first half of the game. Then i downloaded the 50 gigabyte patch (yes, it was this big) and did not notice any differences afterwards. This happened with multiple games. Like what the fuck?
This shit happens when developers do shit job with the engine and everything is tied to huge ass sound files, FMVs, textures and all that other crap.
So what happens, you actually download ALL THAT SHIT again with each update, because all files are "tied", unlike in the 90s or early 2000s, when patch bigger than 500mb was pretty big deal.
So if you think 30-40GB patch for Cyberpunk is some kind of HUGE FIX, it's not. It's their lazy asses showing up again and proving they are hack frauds.
Doom 2016 had big patches because of fucking megatextures. They got rid of that shit in Doom Eternal and game not only is half the size, but also patches are a lot smaller.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:33 pm

I also noticed in Steam - especially with console ports - that a patch might be small, but then Steam requires several gigabytes of free space because it needs to repackage some totally-not-zip-files or other shit.

And don't get me started on megatextures. They're pretty much the main reason why everything's 30+ GB. Age of Empires 2 basically went up an order of magnitude when it moved from HD to Definitive.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Jiangshi

Post by Jiangshi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 pm

I am under the impression that most games from the last 7 years or so are just ridiculous bloatware anyway because the incompetent developers don't need to give a fuck about wasting space if they don't have to worry about fitting it onto a physical medium. It's not their problem if they're wasting your hard drive space.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:31 am

They just (rightfully) see gamers get a boner from larger numbers.

Dudebrowww this game is 200gigzzz when the previous one in this genre was only 100gb, that MUST mean it has double the content and is twice as good!!11!!1

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:40 am

Any game above 30gb can fuck right off.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 am

Yeah, they're a true bitch to download. I think it would be a real godsend if the base game only had the absolute minimum in textures, while the higher res ones came as free DLC. As nice as it is to quickly switch textures in the options menu, all the textures you're not using are just dead weight. Very big dead weight if you don't care about 4k.
I think the first Drakensang game kinda did that when it presented higher textures as an optional install option (at least in the version I owned).
Jiangshi wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 pm
I am under the impression that most games from the last 7 years or so are just ridiculous bloatware anyway because the incompetent developers don't need to give a fuck about wasting space if they don't have to worry about fitting it onto a physical medium. It's not their problem if they're wasting your hard drive space.
Yeah, I seem to recall some games are in love with having uncompressed audio files for example, for that peak performance.
Though I think that train of thought might've already existed in the days of the physical medium, at least with smaller games. Why bother compressing shit if your game will only take up half of a DVD, anyways?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:46 am

It's even worse when some of the updates are for language options you won't use. Like you said, uncompressed audio files for the game to be in Hindi or some shit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Jiangshi

Post by Jiangshi » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 am

It's funny when languages you don't need are patched into a game later instead of making them an optional DLC. Not too long ago, i think the PC version of the first Mirror's Edge of all things received an update adding in japanese language, making the game larger for a language which shouldn't even exist.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am

Saner games on Steam appear to have only one language installed at any given time. At least when I switch the language in those games they require a quick update.
-Yours Truly