Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Basements & Beards- Analogue Gaming Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 15, 2024 1:25 pm

DEI Detected has been branching out further, now also including that anti-colonialist tabletop RPG I've sperged about before.

Also I think BattleTech is fucked considering this is Catalyst Game Lab's community & marketing director:
Content Warning: Danger Hair / Probably A TroonShow
The've also started to effectively declare new Unseen, solely based on "problematic" names. The victim this time around is a tank, though: the Rommel, one of the quintessential heavy tanks since the early days.
Apparently they will no longer mention the tank anymore in any new product, 'cause it was named after an evil Nazi, you know?
Coincidentally, it's very easy for them to replace the Rommel with something less "problematic", because it always had a sister tank in the form of the Patton. Both are effectively the same tank, except the Patton models prefer lighter weapons with longer range.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri May 17, 2024 12:44 pm

Ah yes, Rommel. The universally respected General Hitler forced to commit suicide because he was such a supernazi.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 31, 2024 7:24 pm

I think I found a new motherlode of autism: Some unofficial book about D&D's 50th anniversary, containing various essays in what I hope to be varying shades of batshit.
Cause the one essay that makes up the article is pretty far up there in terms of batshit.

Hack the orcs, loot the tomb, and take the land
Reflections on settler colonialism, Indigeneity, and otherwise possibilities in "Dungeons & Dragons."
The stories of fallen empires and rising powers, decline and progress, primitive tribespeople and cultured settlers, made a kind of twisted sense to me, even though, deep down, I feared that I already knew where my family and I sat in that binary, and it wasn’t where I wanted to be.
Even so, when I started to create my characters, it wasn’t the brash (white) warriors who appealed to me, or the dignified (white) princelings seeking to regain their thrones, or the noble (white) paladins charging down the dragons to rescue the swooning (white) maidens in distress.
It’s fair to say that I didn’t feel entirely human myself; among the vast majority of people who lived in Victor in the 1980s and ’90s, as in so many places throughout the United States then and now, full human status was determined by proximity to unsullied whiteness and Euro-Western culture.
And the association of both the demi-humans and the monsters with Indigenous and colonized peoples was hardly coincidental.
As I grew older and began to connect the dots between my family’s entangled histories and my love of fantasy, it became increasingly clear that, in the dualistic Christo-colonial cosmologies of D&D, my world and so much of my family could only ever be on the savage side of that system.
The other great influence on D&D’s world-building, Robert E. Howard, especially his Conan works, held no appeal for me whatsoever, as there was no beauty, no grace, no romance—just blood, brutality, butchery, and overt racism.
And while Tolkien’s orcs and their filmic, gaming, and media iterations have been shaped by and expanded on savagist anti-Black and anti-Asian stereotypes, they’re also informed by stereotypical ideas about Indigenous primitivism

There are probably more gold nuggets in this article, but I can only stomach so much unfiltered autism at once.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:23 am

The stories of fallen empires and rising powers, decline and progress, primitive tribespeople and cultured settlers, made a kind of twisted sense to me, even though, deep down, I feared that I already knew where my family and I sat in that binary, and it wasn’t where I wanted to be.
That's how I feel about the Germans falling to Rome, Rome to barbarians and again Germany to the Allied Forces.

I don't see race being a large factor in this. Only empires falling and things not getting much better for a good while now.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:11 am

He wants it to be a factor. He's one of those terminal victims who can't even read a fucking class description without looking for potential signs of racism or colonialism.
Probably gets triggered like a mofo when any player in his group wants to play a Paladin.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:23 am

So a fella I'd insult worse than he ever heard until I start a brawl with him.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:59 pm

And here are some good news for once: Remember last year's D&D movie? And how this was supposed to be only the first step by Hasbro and Paramount to turn D&D into an even bigger multimedia franchise?
Not gonna happen. That planned live-action series - as well as another planned Dragonlance series - are not gonna happen. If Hasbro can't find some other streaming service to take up their plans, they've officially gone up in smoke.

Should've just made a lame reboot of that D&D cartoon. Even if it would've been genderspecial CalArts shit. At least it would've happened.
And it's not like we actually need more Dragonlance adaptations. There are more than enough straight-to-DVD animated versions out already, each one with a lower budget than the next.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:38 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:59 pm
And here are some good news for once: Remember last year's D&D movie?
I completely forgot about it, as did the rest of the world.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:48 pm

It was really the worst kind of movie: Not good enough to become a cult classic, but also not insultingly terrible enough to life in on infamy. Meanwhile Damodar's luscious blue lips still shine bright.
Also the title Honor Among Thieves is aggressively generic. That's like the backup title for a heist movie if you can't think of anything better.
You could probably grab any random D&D adventure module, and end up with a more distinct and catchy title.

I think I'll do just that:
Scourge of the Slave Lords
Maze of the Riddling Minotaur
City of the Gods

Come to think of it, it would be pretty nice if we'd get a D&D movie one of these days that's actually based on an actual D&D module.
I mean, if they wanted a comedic movie they could just have fun with the bullshit traps in Tomb of Horrors, with maybe some klessik shit borrowed from other dungeons (like the ever-popular teleport troll trap that teleports you to a different part of the dungeon, except that part is a duplicate of the area you just got teleported from so you can't notice it and fuck up your map drawing).
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:10 am

Teleporting spinners and the fucking Jugglers from Might & Magic are in the top three of my CRPG nightmares.

That movie just looked like a really weak attempt at ripping Guardians of the Galaxy off.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!