Wikipedia and Wikia

Talk about the internet itself instead of people.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Wikipedia and Wikia

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:20 am

They're the audio equivalent of Funkos.
Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:47 am
We already have the technology to make Blu-ray Audio discs with amazing sound fidelity and multi-channel Audio. But people would rather spend money on outdated 20th century formats for some reason.
You haven't lived until you've acquired a mixtape that has been overwritten at least a dozen times.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:51 pm

Point is, LPs can actually sound great. Casettes can only sound mediocre at best.
That said, I used them well into the 2000s. Portable CD players were complete garbage.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 pm

What if you had a portable LP player that looked like an oversized CD player? It'd be the ultimate consoomer good.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:01 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 pm
What if you had a portable LP player that looked like an oversized CD player? It'd be the ultimate consoomer good.
Something like that exists and has existed for quite a while.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:47 am
We already have the technology to make Blu-ray Audio discs with amazing sound fidelity and multi-channel Audio. But people would rather spend money on outdated 20th century formats for some reason.
It's a shame that even with current year technology hi-def audio is gonna be mastered like shit whether its new or a remaster.
Enjoy your brickwalling bro. Enjoy your loudness war.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:56 am

The only advantage of gramophone discs is their ability to carry actual analog signal. Among mainstream analog storage formats, they are probably the least fragile and possibly the one with longest life. Considering that Direct Metal Mastering spun off from Teldec's technology aimed at production of video discs, there was still potential to improve the quality, capacity and maybe other capabilities of gramophone records. The idea to read the discs using laser ray hasn't been fully explored either. Too bad that the current market doesn't encourage any advancements. Anyway, unlike what urinalists or marketing hacks tend to say, "analog" isn't necessarily inferior to "digital" - there's much more to this, with signal theory and the jazz, as well as the equipment one uses to play music.
RantShow
There is the above and then there is some horrendous faggottry. A bunch of cocksuckers managed to meme the gramophone disc into some retarded muh lifestyle symbol. As usual, it has resulted in an increase of prices of both discs and equipment. Posers, hipsters and other losers buy (sometimes completely random) discs just to have a gimmick, feel "cool" and of course post a photo on social media.

I've read that we're supposedly experiencing a "rebirth of vinyl". Tl;dr: you can now buy vastly overpriced, new hipster-gramophones that are mostly garbage (built to the most basic formula that ignores advancements invented over the years), as well vastly overpriced, new records that make little sense from technical standpoint.
The gramophone discs produced now are almost exclusively aimed at consoomer crowd. Music (O. K., sometimes it doesn't even deserve to be called like that) today is, from the earliest stages, produced using digital workflow. The raw bitstream is the purest and fullest form of most songs. To make a gramophone record out of it, digital to analog conversion is needed. Thanks to signal theory and laws of physics, the conversion will never be 100%. The resulting signal is going to carry the converter's limitations regarding precision, errors, resolution and other imperfections. All of this sealed in the groove, the bar set not very high forever. Meanwhile, if the future brings better playing equipment, it could manage to squeeze something more out of the digital data.

Things aren't much better with re-releases of older songs. The master tapes have degraded and give out a vastly lower quality signal. Some didn't survive at all. Using existing records may sound like a good idea first, however they would have to be of mint quality and would require at least proper de-equalisation - when it comes to analog signal, the less processing stages, the better. In the end, digitisation is usually the most logical step in such cases, as the source signal requires heavy processing. And once made digital, converting it back to analog form is pointless.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:26 pm

They don't care that porting digital data to an analogue medium is pointless. They want to think that they have a valuable collector's item as proof of their good taste.

Tapes are better, anyways.
SpoilerShow

Those aren't even songs that were played during the Miku Expo. What the...?
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:56 am
gramophone discs
You keep saying that and I wonder why. Records, LPs or vinyl, whatever you want to call them are not gramophone discs.
Those are made from shellac and they aren't durable at all. They wear out very quickly and shatter easily. That's why the switch to vinyl was made in the first place.
A record player also isn't a gramophone.

Besides that, I resent the journo talk about there being a revival. Records simply never truly died. The pop industry abandoned them but you could always get loads of Hip-hop, Electronica and Metal as LPs without a single break.
Shit, lots of Drum & Bass you could pretty much exclusively get on vinyl.

It's just music journo talk to either get clicks or because the faggot is a complete pleb and has just found out that records are still made and thinks that's news to anyone.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 am

One of the reasons why some prefer vinyls over the cds, digital files or streaming is that many albums tend to have quite a more dynamic sound than the digital formats, and not nearly as compressed. They really started to ramp up the compression in late 90s and early 2000s, Amorphis' Elegy is one of those albums which is more compressed in CD, which affects especially guitars, but the vinyl sounds better.

Afaik cassette can sound very close to what CD is quality-wise, but it does require cassette deck with a very good mechanism, which from what I've understood, pretty much none of the modern cassette players have, as they all use very cheap shit, so you'd have to hunt for old deck. On top of that, you'd actually have to hunt for those type 3 or 4 tapes. More trouble than worth, obviously.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm
You keep saying that and I wonder why.
Well, I should have paid more attention to using proper English terminology. It's just that the word "gramophone" stuck in my country, despite being a loan-word. It remains in common use in regards to the subject matter. The move to microgroove, as well as from shellac to vinyl, didn't change that: the machines are all referred to as "gramophones", while the records are called "gramophone discs". There have been attempts to introduce different naming, akin to what you pointed out, but they all sounded even more foreign and less handy.
jpakke wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 am
More trouble than worth, obviously.
That reminds me of the time, I fruitlessly tried to hunt an Akai's direct-drive deck with GX heads. Even incomplete/broken units bid very high, when there's any auction at all.

Properly recorded tapes can of course sound good, but require maintenance. In longer term, the layers of tape reeled subsequently are going to magnetise each other - that's why they were regularly rewound in studios. The presence of external magnetic fields will also affect the recordings, the tape itself will change it's length over time and the magnetic material will degrade eventually. Higher temperatures, as well as frequent and large variations of air temperature are also detrimental to tape condition. Finally, tapes are much more troublesome to clean, when compared to vinyl discs for expamle. I have also read that the cassettes shouldn't be stored laying flat, but always stand on either edge - I tried to find some explanation behind this, and found two interesting pages:

Code: Select all

https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/care_and_handling/
https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/5premature_degrade/