Wikipedia and Wikia

Talk about the internet itself instead of people.
Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Wikipedia and Wikia

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Warning: Sperging ahoy

Why are these places run by OCD autistic retards?
I've basically stopped using Wikipedia, because people often just undo your work for no reason and promote their own interests. These people have their prize pages "Watch"ed so that they're notified any time someone edits their precious.

I've found that Wikia pages are even worse with their dictatorships.

Just today I was at a capeshit wiki and added last names to a couple characters that were listed by first name only. I also gave a name to an unnamed character. The guy undid everything I did because it was from a "non-canon source". It was actually from an official novelization. I guess these capeshit guys are unable to read without pictures and word balloons.

I also got banned from a wikia for simply removing incorrect information. The asshole was wrong, but he even banned me from responding to him to explain. I wrote to wikia and asked them to unban me and perhaps make me a new admin because the current guy was completely hostile to other people editing "his" wiki. They refused, and in a very patronizing manner.

I admin around 4 different wikis. I'm always grateful to anyone that wants to contribute. If they make an honest mistake, I'll fix it for them. The only people I ban are vandals and spammers.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Wikipedia and Wikia

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Nothing says "wiki" quite like a bunch of relevance nazis who will undo your shit unless you have memorized the giant fuck-up list of relevance criteria they've come up with.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 pm

It's a place where people can have total power. Like with forum moderation, this is attractive to autistic assholes who want to lord their authority over others. Sad that you have to flip burgers to pay your billth? No fear! You can be a forum mod and ban some guy for disagreeing with you, or undo a wiki entry to flex your epeen!

The talk pages on every article I can recall checking the talk pages for were full of 'tism. People getting up in arms over polidicks and promoting their agendas. I thought Wikis were supposed to try for NPOV or at least professional disinterest.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 pm

They're totally objective if they support the correct side.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:46 am

rabidtictac wrote:It's a place where people can have total power. Like with forum moderation, this is attractive to autistic assholes who want to lord their authority over others. Sad that you have to flip burgers to pay your billth? No fear! You can be a forum mod and ban some guy for disagreeing with you, or undo a wiki entry to flex your epeen!
Yeah people like this are pathetic they may as well blow their brains out if this is what they got going for them. At least then you don't have to worry about them having equally pathetic children

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Wikipedia is non profit and for the cost of a cup of coffee you can keep the greatest collection of information online for free.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Also the greatest collection of slanted articles about people and movements.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm

rabidtictac wrote:It's a place where people can have total power. Like with forum moderation, this is attractive to autistic assholes who want to lord their authority over others. Sad that you have to flip burgers to pay your billth? No fear! You can be a forum mod and ban some guy for disagreeing with you, or undo a wiki entry to flex your epeen!
It's why all the shitty SJWs always become mods on the internet. When I mean shitty, I mean your Sarah Nyberg types who are complete fucking losers in real life and don't know how to fleece people out of shekels like Sarkeesian and John Flynt. For the same reasons you listed they ban the shit out of others and use the who "safe space" excuse to do it when in reality they do it to feel powerful.

It's not exclusive to them of course, TGWTG had the same problem with their shitty moderation. It's why I only give people mod powers here based on seniority or if they produce a god tier post like rapeculture did (the one about him and Phelous reviewing Lupa's cunt, fuck you freeforums for removing that forever), the only time I gave someone mod powers who asked for it was Assiman and on occasion he would ban people he didn't like. If anyone else asks to be a mod here, you bet your ass you aren't getting what you want because I know you have bad intentions (though Assiman didn't, it was his idea to make 2.0 but I knew he'd be too lazy to do it).
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm
Nothing says "wiki" quite like a bunch of relevance nazis who will undo your shit unless you have memorized the giant fuck-up list of relevance criteria they've come up with.
Wikipedia's idea of relevance means citing a bunch of MSM articles written by clueless overpaid dolts who more often than not have no real idea of the subjects they write about. Who cares if the information is inaccurate, you know a site is reliable if it has lots of ad revenue.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 am

Any time I've tried to help out information on a Wiki of any sort (most recently the Warframe Wiki when the admin, Darthmufin, let his personal disinterest and distaste for a specific... weapon, I believe it was, creep into the article he wrote) I've been hit back with some kid who can't handle someone correcting them.

In the mentioned case, I made the text more objective and removed all traces of personal opinion from it because I don't care what you think about something. I want to know the facts about it.

Personal opinion weighs heavier on the minds of some of the people out there running fan wikis (and a lot of actual wikipedia pages). I can't even count the number of times I've seen youtube videos from two sides about an issue only to see the more liberal side of it being written about as though it's confirmed fact on Wikipedia.