Is your footprint of Web 1.0 still there?

Talk about the internet itself instead of people.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Is your footprint of Web 1.0 still there?

Post by mad bum » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:30 pm

Holy shit I miss stick death. This shit blew our minds back then, I miss the old internet.

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Guest wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:53 am
2.)Where people on the Internet suffering form unwarranted Self- Importance like they do now? Or where they more chill?
I was on Usenet a lot, and yeah, there were lots of Spoony-type raging arrogant assholes abound. The culture was different though. There was no moderation on most newsgroups, so you couldn't get away with being a crybully. If you were being a faggot, you'd get called out on it.

I remember fooling around with the early World Wide Web. I was disappointed at the time because it was a ghost town. I'd do searches on the old search engines for things I was interested in and get nothing. Or I'd get some random student's college web page.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:05 am

Imagine a world without jannies.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:28 am

I remember being in middle school on Stick Figure Death Theater and trying to hide it from the teacher only for him to catch me, chew me out in front of the class, and me and my buddies try not to laugh as a cop ran over some dude and blood and body parts splattered everywhere in the middle of it all.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:29 am

Nobody gives a shit about the 2000's from what I hear.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Dingus Bajingus

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:15 am

I was never into any filesharing or shock site stuff, so I can really only comment, as I've sperged about before, on how the whole "putting silly shit online" model turned into the tire fire it is today. It always raises my hackles a bit when people claim that AVGN invented angry reviewing. He didn't. He was just the first to do it on YouTube. I remember frequenting a handful of websites back during the early-to-late-mid aughts that did more or less the same schtick in text form, and even those were largely pre-dated (and perhaps inspired) by Seanbaby's stint writing for EGM. Some of them did reviews of stuff other than games (movies, TV, ect.) or even articles about other shit entirely, but the mood within each site was pretty consistent. Some highlights:

-Salamando's Stove
-NES Horsemen
-Disaster Labs (they did Flash movies, too)
-Encyclopedia Obscura (the guy in charge of this one also wrote for I-Mockery on occasion)
-Progressive Boink
-Syd Lexia
-Flying Omelette

A couple of those are kinda-sorta still around, but it's very unlike the old days, and updates are extremely infrequent.

What I miss most about that era isn't even really the content (I'm really getting to hate that word) itself, but the attitude and culture around it. It was just kids, college students and/or young adults having some fucking fun and writing some silly bullshit, and everyone knew that's all it was. There was no hero worship. There were no armies of sycophantic spergs heralding the writers as the second coming of Teh Jeebus and/or forming fucking creepy parasocial bonds. The writers were themselves regular posters on their own forums, and nobody saw them as unassailable godheads. They would just shoot the shit with their readership. It was all just a spare-time, off-the-cuff, irreverent source of fucking fun for everyone involved. Nobody was trying to build a "career" on it, and nobody thought they "deserved" any money or fame for it.

Shit started to go south when AVGN started getting what vaguely resembled actual notoriety, spurring every fame-chasing faggot with an NES and a potato camera to try and jump on that bandwagon. But then of course, the Great TGWTG Plague happened, showing that the model could be genuinely lucrative, and... well, I don't think I have to spell out to anyone hanging around these parts why that fucked everything up but good. Also normies and social media, of course.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:47 am

Moe Bitches wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:29 am
Nobody gives a shit about the 2000's from what I hear.
It was a weird non-decade. The early years were just the 90s dying a slow death and then it turned into this awful, bland social media era that is still ongoing.

For all intents and purposes, you're experiencing the late 00s right now, just with continuously worse entertainment and more capable but also less exciting technology.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:29 am

I guess it was the collective shock of people realizing that there's just not a good name for a decade before the 20's.
mad bum wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:30 pm
Holy shit I miss stick death. This shit blew our minds back then, I miss the old internet.
Dingus Bajingus wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:15 am
It always raises my hackles a bit when people claim that AVGN invented angry reviewing. He didn't. He was just the first to do it on YouTube.
Just try to explain to a soyboy that there was a time before YouTube.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:09 pm

He did accidentally invent Angry Reviews, though. It wasn't a phenomenon because it was so unique. It was because it was on a platform with no barrier for entry and people realized that they could just do the same.
That's the difference. Previously, you pretty much needed a website and how would you get people to go there? But YT came with a built in audience and video replies made it easy to be seen.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Dingus Bajingus

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:52 pm

In the sense that he was the one everyone tried to ape, giving birth to the Great Reviewer Plague, then yeah, you're right. That's part of my point.
As you say, people used to have to incur whatever cost there was to maintaining a website; they spent money on it (unless they were just using Freewebs or some shit), because it was a fucking hobby, and they did it because they thought it was fun, not because they saw a low-effort, low-barrier-of-entry route to marginal fame and fortune. And yeah, you shill your dumb little personal website to some people you know. Maybe they tell other people about it, maybe traffic starts coming in via word-of-mouth or whatever. Maybe it doesn't. But it doesn't fucking matter. Because it's just a cheap little website, and it's a fucking hobby, not muh job muh algorithm ect.