Supreme Shitposter

Re: Diversity & Comics - I need picz in mah bookz

Post by Moe Bitches » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:53 pm

From this:
SpoilerShow
To this: Image
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Sieg Zeon

Post by Sieg Zeon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:30 pm
I miss the 90s when everything was hot big-tittied women and crazy storylines about clones and killing the X-Men.
And serial killer symbiotes, don’t forget the symbiotes.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Sieg Zeon wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:19 pm
At least manga seems to have less interference from translators, no Fuckoffimation writing throwaway lines about muh patriarchy.
Eh.
Burger publishing is all the same.
Scanlators are a mixed bag. Not that scanlation ins't dead mind you.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Moe Bitches wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:53 pm
From this:
To this
Now that's what I call an improvement.
Guest wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Also you have to go to a special "comic book store" to even get them, now, so kids don't even know these comics exist. Also, popular characters (who were all created by people who died decades ago) will for no reason have multiple different titles and minor characters also have their own titles. Why are there multiple different Batman comics published at the same time, and why does Batgirl have her own comic. Nobody can keep up with all of this even if the stories were excellent (but they're actually crap now so no one will even try).
Not even those trade paperbacks that the big fuckoff crossover events are supposedly written for in the first place help these days. There's pretty much always some page with text that amounts to "and here's a bunch of shit that happened in the dozen or so other comics that had a tie-in to this even", which can often leave some plot holes in the narrative.

I think it was like the first big crossover event for New 52 Green Lantern. In one chapter the Space Smurfs where talking about how they need some MacGuffin to find the prison of the BBEG, and then a couple chapters later they just know where it is. There was no mention about the MacGuffin, or whether or not they actually needed it.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:30 am

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:12 am
The culture craves bloodsport and we didn't get that here. Both sides called a truce. Meanwhile, supporters of both sides claim victory.

The likes of Renfamous say that this ended because Meyer didn't have a case while some in #Comicsgate say that Meyer was giving mercy to poor old Waid.

I don't know.

Richard Meyer is doing fine. All of his crowdfunded projects go into the six figures. It's not hard to argue that he benefited from all of this shit. He's moved on. Maybe he was just sick of it and wanted it over with.
Zaid blatantly dragged this out for as long as possible because he knew Waid was going to lose. Meyer realised it wasn't worth it since the drama from the lawsuit made back the money he would have made from what Waid did anyway, the comic book shops were dying too. The real winner were the lawyers, as usual, but at least the drama made it more of a marketing expense for Meyer so I'd say it was a win for him in the end since they both have pay their own legal fees.

And lel, Zaid is a pedo. Every time with these virtue signaling bastards.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Salmonella

Post by Salmonella » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm

If I was running things I'd completely do away with floppies. I know that would piss off some people, but they're an extreme minority. Just focus on putting out trades/graphic novels and I think they'd get more people interested and get more discussion around their current product. Its a complete pain in the ass to keep up with things the way they are now.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Salmonella wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm
If I was running things I'd completely do away with floppies. I know that would piss off some people, but they're an extreme minority. Just focus on putting out trades/graphic novels and I think they'd get more people interested and get more discussion around their current product. Its a complete pain in the ass to keep up with things the way they are now.
Yeah, I agree. Most of the individual floppy comics are "written for the trade" anyway, with annoying "decompressed storytelling" (e.g., nothing happens in a single issue). The only "floppies" I buy anymore is Usagi Yojimbo, since Stan Sakai still writes single issue stories (with occasional stories that will span like four issues).

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:18 pm

The sheer volume of floppies is just insane. A-listers like Batman and Superman have at least two separate lines all for themselves, and then there are countless spin-offs for every major Batman- or Superman-adjacent B-lister.

Come some big crossover event, and all of these floppies need to have a tie-in to that.
This shit even translates to live-action. Those sad annual Arrowverse crossovers are split over all the different shows. If you just buy a season of one of those shows, you'll end up with a single episode that is downright useless.

They should really just focus on trades for their A-listers, with the dirty peasants being featured in anthology volumes.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Salmonella

Post by Salmonella » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:23 pm

Like guest said, pretty much everyone writes six issue arcs meant for trade now anyways. Just cutting out the bs and releasing them straight to trade would make them a lot more accessible and I think retail chains would be more likely to carry them. Its a massive failure that capeshit has become so popular but the comics themselves have failed to capitalize on it.

It's sort of crazy that you can go to Walmart and buy Batman movies, tv shows, underwear, action figures, tshirts, coffee mugs, pajamas, coloring books, bandaids, fishing poles, board games, junk food, and anything else they could think to slap the logo on, but you can't get the actual comics that all the junk is based off of.

fascistfrog

Post by fascistfrog » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Thats true, in japan you can go to a 7-11 and pick up a 10-20$ book every week containing a wide variety of stories with each chapter being at least as long as a typical american floppy, and they sell them pretty much everywhere magazines are sold. Meanwhile american comics if you didn't have a dedicated bookstore that had comics or a dedicated comicbook shop your only option for comics is to look in walmart for a hard to find giant 100 page compilation books of random marvel/dc stories that they stick in the middle of yugioh/mtg/pokemon card isle and a very small allegiance comics rack(i believe one of thier titles was the kickstarter title red rooster got a lot of flack for them selling it in walmart before backers even got thier issues. I honestly dont blame them for taking the walmart deal because they dont really have any competition there)thats constantly moving around the store, and its like 5$ per issue most of the time.