Nintentard's thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Nintentard's thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Love me some Way of the Samurai. Those games have some of the best female characters in gaming.
SpoilerShow
Dunno who decided to translate "de Cameron" as "Megamelons", but I'm not complaining.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 pm

I played the absolute shit out of way of the samurai for the PS2, I remember cheesing the game by fucking with the blacksmith and stealing weapons to roll over into the next playthrough where you're not a criminal.

4 wasn't that great though, like at all really.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 pm

WotS1 and 3 are my favorites. 3 is very similar to the first game except with no time limit on days. Your progress is determined by the number of scenes you have witnessed, just like the first game, except now the game has a free clock and day/night cycle that happens independent of that. So you can dick around as much as you want until you want to progress the story.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 am

mad bum wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 am
Nintendo fanboys BTFO

https://www.destructoid.com/yakuza-prod ... 2318.phtml
"As far as Switch is concerned, I'm convinced that it isn't the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe people don't expect this kind of game on Switch. Maybe they're used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. As for Xbox One, we can consider it, knowing that Xbox One users may be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. This could potentially be an option."
So he's a massive Sonygger and lazy is what he's saying. Porting these days is super easy. I don't see a reason to not port your shit to all consoles.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:01 am

As long as it's graphically capable sure, but having to down scale everything is probably a lot of work
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:02 am

You've seen Yakuza games, right? They have barely progressed beyond the PS2's abilities. Just like with having some interns translate the older games thousands have cried for in the west for decades, they are just too fucking lazy and stingy to pay the five bucks it would cost them.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:02 am
You've seen Yakuza games, right? They have barely progressed beyond the PS2's abilities. Just like with having some interns translate the older games thousands have cried for in the west for decades, they are just too fucking lazy and stingy to pay the five bucks it would cost them.
Very accurate and succinct summary of the problem. Yakuza still has tiny fucking areas, loading times everywhere (they're shorter now lol ok), a lot of menu surfing, excessive text crawls and a ton of repetition. It's like nothing in the design documents changed from Yakuza 1 to Yakuza Kiwami except the lessening of loading times and some modifications to combat. I can't even say the modifications to combat improved the game, since Yakuza 3 and 4 had my favorite combat engine. I don't see the point in a style swapping system when they could just do what Yakuza 4 did and give me more playable characters, each of which has their own fighting style.

By comparison, both Way of the Samurai and Kenka Bancho have extremely customizable movesets, so you can fight however you'd like to. In the case of the latter, the areas got bigger once they figured out how to fit it on the system's architecture. I bet the way of the samurai guys would love to be able to make a game using the Yakuza team's budget.

I wouldn't even say the yakuza devs have progressed "barely" beyond the ps2. They haven't progressed past it. They're still stuck in the mindset that every area needs to have loading screen transitions, most dialogue should be via text, item use should be done via pause menus and the game should limit itself to a small, densely-packed single (or couple) town(s.) It's obvious this kind of thinking came about from the system limitations of older consoles. But what do they do? They'd rather keep uprezzing the graphics in pointless ways (trying to recreate famous japanese movie stars and pop idols) instead of making areas bigger and removing loading.

Oh and fuck them for increasing the encounter rate in Kiwami. That was the last fucking thing they should have done to the franchise. For comparison, fights in Kenka Bancho and WotS are either determined by the story or are instigated by the player deliberately provoking enemies. You have to opt in. So you don't wind up getting gangbanged by random encounters constantly.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 am
I wouldn't even say the yakuza devs have progressed "barely" beyond the ps2. They haven't progressed past it.
In graphics they have recently hit 360 levels, let's give them that.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:02 am
Meant other games like the failure wolfenstein was, yakuza could run on the switch sure, doubt it would sell extremely well.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 am

They even got Yakuza running on the psp, of course the spinoff psp games featured super tiny areas and extremely cut-down combat, despite the fact Kenka Bancho 5 has fuckhuge areas, completely customizable combos, friendly followers, emotes for interacting with enemies/followers, equippable super moves, custom clothing/hairstyles and shit tons of story and side content. By all accounts, the psp yakuza black tiger games suck shit.

Hell, way of the samurai 1 is an import psp title. I've seen it. The graphics are worse but it looks like the same game. Imagine if the Yakuza team had done that with a yakuza 1 or 2 PSP port. Nope! Even Tenchu wrath of heaven and fatal shadows are on portable psp. Not muh genius sega yakuza team though. And shitloads of ps2 games got psp ports localized. I just can't remember them all.

It's like yakuza team need a generation better on hardware in order to design a last-gen game. Although current yakuza is more like PS4 technology to create PS2 games. As for the visuals, they look "nice" but basically haven't changed in forever. How many times can we model Kamurocho guiz? Answer: only need to do it once per console generation and then never again. Sega's yakuza team works very hard.
RAPEMAN wrote: