Dauntless is Finally Open to Play

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Pepsi Man

Dauntless is Finally Open to Play

Post by Pepsi Man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:37 pm

https://playdauntless.com/

F2P Monster Hunter style game. Guess it went open beta last month but I wasn't paying any attention so I didn't notice until now.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Dauntless is Finally Open to Play

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

I'll check it out over the weekend. Would be nice to have something to cover the wait for MonHun World.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm
I'll check it out over the weekend. Would be nice to have something to cover the wait for MonHun World.
I'm dying waiting for the pc port and refuse to buy a plebstation 4 just to play it
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

mad bum wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm
I'm dying waiting for the pc port and refuse to buy a plebstation 4 just to play it
Same here. We'll need to make a DHI hunting party at least once when it's finally out.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Reminds me that I need a new Glorious PC Gaming Rig, just for MonHun World. And a few others I guess, but mostly MonHun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:10 am

It's lacking in content (but so is Monhun World, actually) and the hunts connect you to a server even when solo but, aside from that, it's free and it's not terrible.

There's no small monsters. Just bosses all day errday. The tutorial is literally fighting a big monster.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:03 am

Ah, so it's not the gameplay loop I have been conditioned to. I'll give it a shot anyway. It's a fault anyway. You need to be able to go out and just collect stuff and grill some meat as well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm

I'll just quote myself from me and my buddy's private discord chat:
so the further you get into dauntless the more it stops feeling like vindictus and feels more like someone played a bit of monster hunter and then read a bunch of rage posts about it and then designed a game around that idea
All of the weapons have very little depth. I thought that, maybe, the monsters would be where the depth would pop up but it literally feels like you're restricted to a Greatsword moveset with every weapon. One or two combos (chainblades technically have 4) with a special skill (shooting a bullet, charging your attacks, pulling yourself or pushing yourself with the enemy, etc).

There's also a huge issue with hitboxes that are partially related to the fact that you're connected to a server when you're solo, even. Chainblades, which are the weapon that I find the most interesting, have a teleport-style dodge with delayed i-frames meaning you have to dodge attacks early. Again, though, the game feels like someone read rage posts about MonHun and then designed it because a lot of attack animations have so much recovery (far more than it feels like they should) that you can miss dodges that you should have been able to make. Double with chainblades.

Monsters are either piss easy or have you asking, "what the fuck," constantly, which is pretty par for the course, I guess. The problem is that one of them, Quillshot, is the third monster in the game, proper, once you finish with the tutorial monsters and the dude has next to no downtime between attacks and has an answer for literally anything you can throw at him with very little tells on anything he does. He also has a ranged attack that he can, and will, spam.

The game has a lot of potential but I find myself preferring a game like Warframe, which isn't difficult, in the slightest, and yet focuses entirely on making the godmode gameplay entertaining (as long as you avoid the one-button-spam meta) than on a game that seems like they have no understanding of what makes a boss fight compelling.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Well, I guess it's still new.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Oh, I forgot, the actual worst part of the game is that you don't get any monster rewards unless you break parts and it's more than possible to hit a monster in the same spot over and over, kill them, and not break that part.

Everything else is something I can look past and hope gets changed. That, however, is a travesty.