Good and / or underrated capeshit games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Re: Good and / or underrated capeshit games

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Tue May 15, 2018 11:39 am

Played a few more levels of FF but im putting it on the backburner for now.
I like the faster action gameplay of xmen legends more and for superheroes these characters sure feel weak, I dont feel like im playing superheroes when regular enemies can do 1/3rd of your healthbar in damage in 1/2 hits.
perhaps you feel more powerful later on but I dont feel like pushing through more boring levels to get there atm.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

It wouldn't be very tactical if it was Dynasty Heroes.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:59 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:10 am
And isnt the thing about roguelikes that theyre actually designed around something going wrong most of the time and yet you can still correct that? Pretty much the opposite of FF.
Besides neither of the two games you named being roguelikes, yeah, that's kinda the point. At first you'll think terrible shit just constantly happens to you but once you've gotten the hang of it you realize you've just been careless and caused those situations yourself.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Steam classifies FTL as roguelike and DD is on this list:
https://www.slant.co/topics/1657/~rogue ... ites-on-pc
but whatever, what are roguelikes then in your reality?

Ive also put many hours in enter the gungeon or doesnt that count either?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Roguelike is a watered down term. 99% of the games going under that genre are more accurately defined as, "rogue-lite."
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue May 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Pepsi Man wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm
Roguelike is a watered down term. 99% of the games going under that genre are more accurately defined as, "rogue-lite."
Yeah, this.

A rogue like is a game like Rogue. There are some true roguelikes. Shiren the Wanderer is a roguelike. It is like Rogue. It is not a "lite" experience at all.

Games like rogue legacy where you HAVE to die to cash out your character are the definition of rogue lite.
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character.
This is a pretty solid definition imo. I would add "no benefits that persist after death." Death is a hard L you have to take in a roguelike. RogueLITES often require you to die to upgrade and have persisting benefits.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Must absolutely be:
1) Turn-based
2) Tile-based
3) RPG
4) procedurally generated levels to some degree
5) death is final; no save file

The term is being destroyed by faggots everywhere all the time. I'll still not accept that. It's useless as a genre descriptor if one is so sloppy with the definition.
Nobody calls MOBAs RTS games either, despite those being much closer together than something like Rogue Legacy and Nethack are.
Shit, I don't even dislike rougelites, playing Dead Cells right now. I'm fine with the term "roguelite" because that gives you a vague idea about what the game may be like, instead of just being completely false and misleading. It's the difference between calling Prenumbra a first person game or a first person shooter. The former may not say much but the latter would just be plain wrong.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Roguelites can be good but I find the industry is absolutely swamped with them right now and a lot of those are not very good.

Even so, I guess I play roguelites about as much as I play anything else tbh. True rogueLIKES can be very difficult to get into.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 pm

didnt even know there was a difference between roguelike or roguelite so yeah forgive my ignorance
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm
Roguelites can be good but I find the industry is absolutely swamped with them right now and a lot of those are not very good.
Because you don't need to design levels and new environments so it's less assets to create if you have a lot of repeating shit. Since a typical one has you needing to die a lot the actual game is short as fuck and in most of them the game mechanics are simple and easy to program.

It is the same reason 8bit 2D platformers were a thing, they are easy to make.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.