Good and / or underrated capeshit games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
ban

Good and / or underrated capeshit games

Post by ban » Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm

I'll start with the obvious three good and underrated ones :

Basically a discount DMC, but with Ninja Gaiden dial-a-combo combat and cancels. It even has a style gauge that actively changes the colour of Ghost Rider's flame to reflect your rank and acts nearly the same way as the DMC3 style gauge(don't know if higher style also gives you frame advantage like in DMC3) but the innovation was that there were enemies that either could not be damaged or the attacks bounced off of them, if you didn't have a certain level in your style gauge(basically the Must Style mode in DmC definitive edition and the DmC PC edition via fan patches before it was ever thought off by any of the DMC devs). The PS2 version is very identical, except the stages aren't as broken off since the PS2 can handle them and stretches of "puzzles". Only get the PSP/PS2 versions.

It has a shit soundtrack, shit voices, passable graphics and the story is...meh for the most part, even when it gives you "choices", but the gameplay is pure art. It's basically what all stylish and KUUURRRAYZHEEEE capeshit games should actively strive for. Combos up the wazoo, switch between two vastly different gameplay styles even in the midst of a combo, wall combat, high flying acrobatics etc, best high speed swinging in a Spidey game and enemies that are aggressive and fuck you up. PS360 ver reccomended since the others are vastly different.

Basically it goes above and beyond the movie, gives it better set pieces and finally has an uncaged Wolverine to play with. It's the best solo Wolverine experience you can get, has a tight level select feature, nice combat and plenty of gore to go around. All in all solid but tarnished due to the rep of the movie. PS360 uncaged recommended but I dunno about a PC version.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Good and / or underrated capeshit games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I'm a big fan of the Freedom Force games. They're basically real-time tactical squad games where your squad is made up of superheroes, so you can have them fly around or chuck cars at people (if the character is sufficiently strong). They're also somewhat low-powered on the capeshit scale (goons with guns are always dangerous, and any enemy who can exploit a character's weaknesses will wreck his shit).
Graphics are very cel-shaded and cartoony (meaning they've aged pretty well). Plot is very cheesy, Silver Age stuff with campy voice acting.

I especially like how knockback-happy some of the powers are. There's like a Spider-Man (Ant-Man) ripoff who can do a shove that doesn't actually do damage, put launches the target like a rocket. That's like one of the best ways to get rid of an enemy btw, since flying around will take them out of the fight for a while, and there's a chance they'll take lotsa damage upon landing or just fall into an abyss.

Freedom Force vs the Third Reich has a more streamlined energy management system (which I prefer tbh. i prefer it when a blaster guy can just keep blasting as a default attack and only burns energy for the big blasts), and a more batshit story that combines time travel, the Golden Age, and an hommage to the Dark Phoenix Saga. Also has a pretty metal Ghost Rider ripoff who can possess people, which is pretty fun.

(Also a big cliffhanger plot twist at the end which I'm not sure was meant as a joke, or they really wanted to make a third game and then everything turned to shit)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

ban

Post by ban » Sat May 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Gud taste. Though I later got hooked on Raven Software's rip-offs of Freedom Force, the X-Men Legends games, Justice League Heroes and the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. MUA1 and JLAH are probably their best and I liked how they underpowered some characters to make it even but still kept their OP moves as big hitting supers..
He warned youShow

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 pm

I loved the x-men legend games so I will try that second freedom force out for sure!

And I loved one of the older spiderman games, I think it was on the original xbox not sure. Swinging around as spidey just never gets boring. Although a lot of spiderman games have managed to fuck up everything besides the swinging making me only think back on the first one with really positive thoughts.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Don't ditch on that first FF. Jumping to the second straight away might be a bit too confusing.

It's also pritty gud, I just like the energy management in the second one more.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat May 12, 2018 4:48 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm
Don't ditch on that first FF. Jumping to the second straight away might be a bit too confusing.

It's also pritty gud, I just like the energy management in the second one more.
I didnt find the first one on the high seas unfortunately.

edit: nevermind that, found it on another site
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I like prototype when I want to turn my brain off and hulk out.

Infamous 1 has problems but I think it does a pretty good job building an interesting world and making your powers feel interesting.

Neither are really underrated, although Infamous 1 was overshadowed by its sequel (which I don't like nearly as much.)
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

ban

Post by ban » Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Same can be said about Prototype 2, except Prototype 2 diminished some of the powers and made something that would be wonky capeshit with Guyver powers into Angry Black Man Revenge Flick because "former Marine training". Inafmous 2, while it upgraded on the combat aspect it never reached a proper climax like the previous game did as far as gameplay or story went and the good path was...pure shit. I halfway expected that Cole would become one with the lightning or something and fuck the Beast up, become an element of nature afterwards, ending on a really high note and perhaps having a new game plus mode where the player was playing as the new Thor or something. Infamous Second Son is where shit really hit the fan and the ideas while good, were half-baked with the multiple superpowers etc.
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Prototype 2 is straight up retarded. So dumb that it starts being idiotic with the E3 trailer.
"I must find Mercer! The man who..." nigga, Mercer be dead. It's literally a giant biomass of pure virus. The whole deal about the main character not knowing what's up only works when you also have no idea.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Could saints row 4 be counted as cape shit?

I also heard the punisher game for I think the ps2 is supposed to be good
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]