Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Retro Games

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 am

Pepsi Man wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:27 am
Ogre Battle (and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) are some hidden gems of the SNES era that I wish more people appreciated.
Tactics Ogre and Valkyrie Profile, among other games, got a 2nd life on the psp. I feel like LuCT was a pretty big deal during the psp era.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 1:14 am

It wasn't the same game, though. Gameplay systems were completely changed.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 2:30 am

I don't know anything about that. I know Lenneth was the same game as the ps1 version, just with some added loading times and gay CGI cutscenes.
RAPEMAN wrote:

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun May 06, 2018 5:16 am

Pepsi Man wrote:
Ogre Battle (and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) are some hidden gems of the SNES era that I wish more people appreciated.

I could sperg out about march of the black queen, but all I will say is it belongs on a real top 10 SNES game list.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 5:39 am

March of the Black Queen is one of those games I played on emulator without understanding. It was very obviously a great game though. I should go back and play it.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 6:07 am

Ogre Battle is great no matter how you play it. As a kid I would always just kill everything and then steamroll the bosses. Then I got older and I watched people figure out how to speedrun the entire game while manipulating the exact endings that they wanted.

It's good stuff. It's also not easy to understand, at face value, at all and that's part of what makes it great.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 am

My only problem with the game is how easy it can be to cheese it, like all you really need is one squad of complete death and once the map is clear you can use your high CHA parties to liberate cities.

The game doesn't explain anything which is unfortunate, so you really need to just play it a lot like we did back in the day or read how to play it, because it's got so many hidden rules its ridiculous.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun May 06, 2018 8:25 am

Just looked of footage of March of the Black Queen and it looks neat.

Has sorta the same battle gameplay as Bahamut Lagoon (but without dragons). It's also a song by Queens. Best thing about Bahamut Lagoon was that the hero didn't get the girl and the girl banged the evil man, who wasn't even that evil. I think. If I remember correctly :p
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm

And then the hero started whining about how he's tooo nice?
Pepsi Man wrote:
I've been wondering this myself. Ogre Battle 64 was like one of four N64 games that could be considered RPGs, and Final Fantasy Tactics borrowed so much of its presentation from Tactics Ogre that you'd think people would've stumbled upon the predecessor by accident.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together are both amazing games for their story, alone. You could hate the gameplay and still appreciate their storyline.
SpoilerShow
Particularly the part right at the beginning of LuCT where you get to choose whether or not to slaughter a village of defenseless people to further your leader's plot or rebel and go your own path to achieve freedom from the political oppression your people have been trying to end.
I'm still pissed that FFT is considered a Final Fantasy game because it's head and shoulders above anything else that team has ever produced. They used it as an excuse to take Ivalice to places it shouldn't ever be. About the only good thing to come out of it were the bunny girls.